Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...
Recently purchased new Yokohama Geolanders and Vision rims from Discount Tire. (2003 Pilot)
I’m having vibration issues 60-75 mph. Def feels like wheel balancing.
I’ve been back several times, we’ve replaced all four tires (2nd new set), two of the new rims, and i had all the front suspension parts replaced and 4wheel alignment done.
We’ve roadforced the wheels each time, even moved the tires around on the rims to minimize heavy spots. I’m at a loss. Anyone experience such difficulties balancing tires on your pilot?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Have you checked the wheels for balance before the tires are mounted?

Do the Yokohama tires have red or yellow dots on the sidewall?
If so, is the installer aligning either of those dots with the valve stem position on the wheel?

Are the wheels themselves hub-centric?
If not, are you using hub-centric rings and are they metal or plastic?

What values of road force have been measured for each wheel/tire?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great questions.
We aligned the dots with valve stems.
I ordered custom hub rings and they are also installed. They are plastic. Does that make a difference if not metal?
The road force values range between 5 and 22.

Have you checked the wheels for balance before the tires are mounted?

Do the Yokohama tires have red or yellow dots on the sidewall?
If so, is the installer aligning either of those dots with the valve stem position on the wheel?

Are the wheels themselves hub-centric?
If not, are you using hub-centric rings and are they metal or plastic?

What values of road force have been measured for each wheel/tire?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Road force value of 5 is great, 22 is rather high.
What were the values for the other two wheels/tires?

When the shop "moved the tires around on the rims to minimize heavy spots", did they swap tires to different wheels or just reposition a tire on the same wheel?

The road force balancer has a so-called 'match-maker' function that can determine which tire should be mounted on which wheel to minimize road force.
Did the shop try using it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other two fell in between 5 and 22. I don’t recall off hand but believe they were closer to the low end...like 6 and 8 possibly.

The tire guy moved the same tires on the same rims according to what the balancer directed. They didn’t change tires to different rims tho. I wasn’t aware that was an option on them.

My deduction is that the machine they were using wasn’t calibrated fully. The last time i had an issue like this i asked them to calibrate the machine and then road force them...and it was def better results. I’m wondering if that’s the variable in this situation.

I’m told Honda’s are notoriously sensitive to vibrations. This is my first Honda. Is that a known thing? Or maybe just on first gen pilots?

Road force value of 5 is great, 22 is rather high.
What were the values for the other two wheels/tires?

When the shop "moved the tires around on the rims to minimize heavy spots", did they swap tires to different wheels or just reposition a tire on the same wheel?

The road force balancer has a so-called 'match-maker' function that can determine which tire should be mounted on which wheel to minimize road force.
Did the shop try using it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Sensitive to vibration is not a thing.
Did you have any of that vibration before you removed your old tires?
To me it sounds like you got crappy rims or crappy tires or both. Yes, there are products which just cannot be balanced. This is why I stick with OEM rims and reliable brand names for tires. Yoko is not among them.

Do you mind posting a scan of your roadforce report?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts