Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I accelerate from a stop sign/light, I feel the front drivers wheel shake or stutter for a second before switching to 3rd. Also, around 40-50 mph, driving straight, I hear a consistent hum......hum......hum. It is not fast or in sync with the tire but a slow, consistent hum with a second in between each one. Last, when I am driving 10-20mph making a RIGHT turn, I hear a tick, tick, tick. I can't decide if its a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. Thoughts??

Thanks!

·
Registered
844 Posts
When I accelerate from a stop sign/light, I feel the front drivers wheel shake or stutter for a second before switching to 3rd. Also, around 40-50 mph, driving straight, I hear a consistent hum......hum......hum. It is not fast or in sync with the tire but a slow, consistent hum with a second in between each one. Last, when I am driving 10-20mph making a RIGHT turn, I hear a tick, tick, tick. I can't decide if its a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. Thoughts??

Thanks!
Could be both. Both are weak points on the Pilot. I had both front wheel bearings and the drivers side axle replaced before 100K.

Clicks are associated with bad CV joints
Speed sensitive humming is associated with a bad bearing

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Bearings typically change amplitude with speed increases, so if you have a rumble that gets louder with speed, look at the bearing.

If the frequency of the noise changes with speed, more likely is a tire noise. If you suspect tires and it's just from one corner, move the tires around and see if the noise moves.

CV joints fail with sounds then with vibration. Clicking sounds happen when the bearing faces in the joint get worn in a specific area, and can turn to rumbles. The noises get louder with more angle and load, so they show up first when turning. At some point the dings in the races will allow the half-shaft to run slightly misaligned, and cause a vibration similar to a wheel out of balance, but more severe under pulling throttle. Usually, if you can keep all the grease in and the dirt out, CV joints are pretty bulletproof with normal driving.

If you've had an axle nut off, it should be replaced with new if possible. Further, it needs to be correctly tightened to maintain the proper preload on the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to get a new front drivers side bearing at 83k. Its deterioration may have been accelerated by getting into foot-high flood water once. Very similar to the symptoms you describe above. After getting it changed i realized how loud it had been!

·
Registered
598 Posts
When going 40-50 mph, (safely) twitch the steering wheel to the left and right and see if the humming changes. This will shift weight to each front bearing and help you isolate the culprit.

Humming gets louder when turning to the left- bad front right bearing
Louder when going right- bad front left bearing

The ticking could very well be the CV axle. If you cut the wheels all the way left and right, you can get a good look at the axles. Look for any obvious tears or slung grease on the inboard and outboard boots.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 Touring. Did both wheel bearings before 60K. You can hear and feel a bad one. My left was bad. I did the right just because.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I understand that the front wheel bearings are considered part of the power train warranty... how about the rears? I would assume no. I am asking because our 2013 Pilot with 64K miles on the ODO has what I believe to be a bad wheel bearing... although I am having a hard time isolating where the noise is coming from. It goes into the shop tomorrow, but I want to be armed with as much info as I can beforehand. Thanks!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I understand that the front wheel bearings are considered part of the power train warranty... how about the rears? I would assume no. I am asking because our 2013 Pilot with 64K miles on the ODO has what I believe to be a bad wheel bearing... although I am having a hard time isolating where the noise is coming from. It goes into the shop tomorrow, but I want to be armed with as much info as I can beforehand. Thanks!
You're correct, only the fronts are considered for powertrain warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts