Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~135,000 miles
Wife complained the car sounded like a washing machine.
Sounds like a squeaking rubber and ticking noise that goes away with hard braking and hard acceleration. The noise is there coasting, soft acceleration, soft braking. I have yet to do tests in neutral.

I’m afraid the transfer case is shot. Jacking the left front wheel up (after shaking to see if it could be a bad wheel bearing), it sounds like the noise is most likely coming from whatever the engine side of the driver axles goes into. Transfer Case I’d assume. The slop (with all other wheels on the ground) seems to make a bit of a slapping noise that could be what I’m hearing.

I tow like crazy with my 2006 ridgeline and the pilot does soccer mom duties. I never anticipated that the deferred maintenance would kill the pilot first. Then again, this is the wheel that hit another car pretty hard about a year ago. Maybe damage to the transfer case has just now finally reared it’s head after ultimately grinding away at the gears. :(

·
Registered
73 Posts
The driver side axle does directly into the transmission, transfer case in on the other side of the transmission and connects to the driveshaft for the rear wheels.

Does the transmission shift smoothly?
What your describing sounds like a bad CV axle, was that replaced after the accident?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a sticker on the driver axle. But it looks like it might be older than 18 months old. I don’t know. They did not replace the control arm after the accident although they said they would. There was no noise immediately after the accident, so I’m not sure they would think it needed to be replaced.

I am probably 10,000+ miles overdue to do transfer case and diff fluid changes.

I will try to take a video of the noise when I get a chance.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So there’s some smacking in the transfer case, but (when I went to swap the wheel to test the old TPMS on a 5th wheel I recently bought and mounted) I noticed...

Wait for it...

several loose lug nuts.

I will send myself to the dunce corner now.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts

But hey, at least you caught it before something really bad happened. And it's a cheap fix. Use the money you hypothetically saved to get a torque wrench. Or do what I did and when asked by one of your kids what you want for your birthday or Christmas, say a torque wrench. Worked for me. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts