Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have 2009 pilot with 120k mileage. i replaced factory spark plugs with Denso Spark Plug Iridium Long-Life (SXU22HCR11S) . i am getting like 12 to 14 city driving and 21 for highways. i am pretty sure i got much better before i replaced them. i was thinking my mileage would get better.

should i change then with oem ngk ILZKR7B11 Laser Iridium or i am just wasting my money?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Denso 3461?
If it's part # 3461, they should be fine.
I do prefer the NGK Laser Iridiums or Ruthenium.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
306 Posts
Probably wasting money.

Are you really sure you were doing "much better" before? Depends on cruising speed, but 21 mpg highway is well within the normal range. City is a little low, but not out of bounds at all if very stop/go and/or you tend to use a lot of throttle and brakes. If you're expectation is that mileage should have taken a jump after a plug change, my experience with these new iridium plugs is that there is little to no dropoff in performance out to 100K+, so while it is a good idea to replace them on the 100K schedule, the car will usually run about the same after the change.

I also prefer the NGKs, but the Denso you have installed is the correct one and I'd be very surprised if NGK vs. Denso made any measurable difference.

Of course, this all assumes you got the plugs torqued correctly. Some folks, worrying about damaging the threads, are very timid with spark plug torque. If you don't get to the specified torque, you can leave the gasket partially compressed and after a few heating/cooling cycles, you end up with a very loose plug and loss of compression. Some even advocate checking the torque again after a few hundred miles to handle this problem.

- Mark

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Probably wasting money.

Are you really sure you were doing "much better" before? Depends on cruising speed, but 21 mpg highway is well within the normal range. City is a little low, but not out of bounds at all if very stop/go and/or you tend to use a lot of throttle and brakes. If you're expectation is that mileage should have taken a jump after a plug change, my experience with these new iridium plugs is that there is little to no dropoff in performance out to 100K+, so while it is a good idea to replace them on the 100K schedule, the car will usually run about the same after the change.

I also prefer the NGKs, but the Denso you have installed is the correct one and I'd be very surprised if NGK vs. Denso made any measurable difference.

Of course, this all assumes you got the plugs torqued correctly. Some folks, worrying about damaging the threads, are very timid with spark plug torque. If you don't get to the specified torque, you can leave the gasket partially compressed and after a few heating/cooling cycles, you end up with a very loose plug and loss of compression. Some even advocate checking the torque again after a few hundred miles to handle this problem.

- Mark
thanks for your response to be honest i dont 100% remember what i was getting before the spark plug change. my wife drives the pilot day to day . whats the correct torque?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
One might question the authenticity.
Where did you buy your Denso plugs?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2011 with 155k on it. I live in Pittsburgh and it is very hilly so our MPG stinks. We typically get 13-14MPG around town and get ~21 on the highway. I think you are in the normal range, unless you live in a extremely flat location. But even then i would only expect it to go up 1-2 MPGs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 2011 with 155k on it. I live in Pittsburgh and it is very hilly so our MPG stinks. We typically get 13-14MPG around town and get ~21 on the highway. I think you are in the normal range, unless you live in a extremely flat location. But even then i would only expect it to go up 1-2 MPGs.
thank you i am in long island NY i would consider it pretty flat .i think i am just being paranoid, its been 7 months since plugs were changed, i am going to leave it alone for now.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
You expected a MPG change by changing the spark plugs to iridium?

Sorry, doesn't work that way really.
You might see some improvement with very high tech meters hooked up to the engine, MIGHT.

Unless there was a PROBLEM with you old plugs, you shouldn't see a difference. Your wallet might get lighter though LOL

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You expected a MPG change by changing the spark plugs to iridium?

Sorry, doesn't work that way really.
You might see some improvement with very high tech meters hooked up to the engine, MIGHT.

Unless there was a PROBLEM with you old plugs, you shouldn't see a difference. Your wallet might get lighter though LOL
i didnt except it to get better atleast stay what it was before but then again i dont remember exactly what it was before.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
i didnt except it to get better atleast stay what it was before but then again i dont remember exactly what it was before.
Did you do them yourself? Did you tighten them pretty well? I rarely use a torque wrench on a spark plug, but I know you are supposed to. Especially with the aluminum head.
As said, if you replaced good spark plugs (99.999999% of the time this is the case), don't expect any real changes from a Butt dyno, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you done anything else? Clogged air filters, dirty jets, dirty mas air flow sensor, low tire air pressure etc. can have the same effect. Check your air filter, clean the mass air flow sensor, and run a can of B&G K44 through it and see how everything behaves after.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you done anything else? Clogged air filters, dirty jets, dirty mas air flow sensor, low tire air pressure etc. can have the same effect. Check your air filter, clean the mass air flow sensor, and run a can of B&G K44 through it and see how everything behaves after.
thanks i did just air filter, tire pressaure is good (brand new tires) let me try can of B&G K44 doesnt hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
May I ask why change the sparks plug if one should not expect any benefit? I can understand they can get dirty after all these years, but if there is no harm and no benefit, why bother?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
May I ask why change the sparks plug if one should not expect any benefit? I can understand they can get dirty after all these years, but if there is no harm and no benefit, why bother?
It seems to be the DIY fix for any engine, motorcycle, car, etc.

Well, my ____ is doing this, so I tried changing the spark plugs,..........
Also, relatively easy change for a DIY'er and relatively cheap too.
Do they usually need it? No way. Do they get really dirty and worn and or even fail to spark? Well, rarely yes.

When I'm doing other things to my motorcycle especially, if I'm in there anyways, about once a year I take them out to look them over.
Usually just put them back in though!

** I've had my honest local shop tell me they checked the plugs when they were doing my VSA selenoid pump thingy- it needed that- anyways,
They told me the plugs looked so good, they put them back in!! This on my 08 SE

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts
Notice any difference?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts
i have 2009 pilot with 120k mileage. i replaced factory spark plugs with Denso Spark Plug Iridium Long-Life (SXU22HCR11S) . i am getting like 12 to 14 city driving and 21 for highways. i am pretty sure i got much better before i replaced them. i was thinking my mileage would get better.

should i change then with oem ngk ILZKR7B11 Laser Iridium or i am just wasting my money?
What did you gap the plugs too?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, one looks dirty and the tip is shorter. And that was my question - if both of them works and there is no difference in mileage or performance before and after, what is the reason for the change? Just because one look dirty? That is what I am wondering.

Just like the ignitor for my gas range in the kitchen, I won't change it just because it look dirty. I would keep using it until it does not spark.

Would I notice something if one of the spark plugs does not work anymore? Would that push the MPG down in a way that I would notice?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts