Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fuel Econ. Bad, almost 3,000 miles and 4 months, 13.5 and 17, I have very light foot, and use 2 different majors of fuel. Same on Both, had it to the dealer 2 days ago, could not find anything wrong and refused to do anything, what does one do next. I see other people having problem also, so I am not alone. Jim

·
Registered
919 Posts
What is your typical commute like? If it's full of traffic jams or other long idle times with little or no open highway time it has a serious impact on fuel economy. I would also make sure that you have enough tire pressure (check the label in the driver's door jamb for recommended pressure).

Chris

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris, for your great reply, I have been driving over 50 years, and have always gotten Sticker mileage, I am on the same comute that I was on with my other honda and it was fine. Normal stop and go, also drove 50 miles each way on interstate and refuled and check the mileage on that which is 100 round trip, have done that twice now. I love my Pilot but the Mileage stinks, and it shouldn't that is a tried and true engine. Jim

·
Registered
307 Posts
I too am having bad milage, about the same as you described. My driving conditions seem about the same, I finally wen\t and checked my pressure, and lowered it from 34 down to 32 still a little early to tell, but it seems a bit better

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lowering tire pressure theoretically reduces fuel economy. It doesn't increase it.

Chris

·
Registered
46 Posts
We are up around 4500 miles and the mileage is getting better as we put more miles on the car. We averaged about 15 or 16 initially and now we are up to 19.5 and this is with mixed driving. I would expect that as the engine loosens up this will continue to increase. Lets hear from some of the higher mileage folks and see if this is in fact the case.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was normally getting ~20 mpg (mixed driving condition) until VTEC maniacs mentioned about the euphoric feelings they get when the VTEC kick in at ~4300 rpm. Well, trying to duplicate the same my mpg average nose dived to 17 and adding insult to injuries, I haven't yet tasted the euphoric feeling b/c too much traffic or not enough open space in NYC.

To get the highest possible MPG average for our Pilot, one needs to drive over 50 MPH b/c that is the point where 5th gear takes over and then increase speed gradually w/o the tranny downshiftng.

·
Registered
919 Posts
LOL. Pilot03, I suggest you continue your VTEC quest until you strike gold. Once you find it, you'll be back for more. :D Don't worry about the resulting low fuel economy. Just consider it an entertainment expense.

Chris

·
Registered
28 Posts
Consumer Reports listed a wide range of MPG's for the Pilot - 13 to 27. If I'm doing a long, highway trip and get 27mpg, I'd be pretty pleased if I got that kind of gas mileage. On the flip side, 13 in city driving wouldn't make me to happy. Seems like others reported mileage varies substantially as well.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My guess

It seems as the vehicle gets more optimized for milage, the driver has much more effect.
The old Rover would get 14 being nice and 12 beating on it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
xyzzy said:
LOL. Pilot03, I suggest you continue your VTEC quest until you strike gold. Once you find it, you'll be back for more. :D Don't worry about the resulting low fuel economy. Just consider it an entertainment expense.

Chris
W/o a doubt, I will strike gold soon. I gotta find the difference between Turbo and VTEC rush. Used to have water injection on my turbo. Wonder I could do the same to our VTEC. :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I doubt it

A turbo heats the air quite a bit. Water injection helps cool it.
VTEC is like running a hotter cam. No real need to cool the charge

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: I doubt it

N_Jay said:
A turbo heats the air quite a bit. Water injection helps cool it.
VTEC is like running a hotter cam. No real need to cool the charge
+ extra bang during the combustion step due to the gasification/vaporization of water molecules inside the cylinder hence higher compression ratio w/o pinging.
And another side-benefit: BETTER mpg from my experience.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
May be

But I have never seen anyone run water on a normally asperated engine. (Except for the people who also bought that tin fan thing for the intake)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Re: May be

N_Jay said:
But I have never seen anyone run water on a normally asperated engine. (Except for the people who also bought that tin fan thing for the intake)
Not htat I would install water injection to a normally aspirated Honda engine nor I would do anything to increase horsepower to a HOnda b/c I saw many honda engines blown into pieces after turbo installation. IMO, the reliability of Japanese engines are great as long as you keep it at the factory spec. Try to increase it, you just went over the catastrophic threshold. They are not built like Chevy small block or Saab engine.

You are absolutely right that the water injection is not for the normally aspirated engine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts