Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Pilot with 193k miles on it. Recently had an oil change and the dealer told me I need compliance bushings in the front. I don't know what those are but I took my vehicle to a mechanic that works out of his garage at home. He replaced the lower control arms and now I have a clunking noise that sounds like it's coming from under the car at the front passenger's side. The clunking noise is heard when going over most bumps in the road, including speed bumps. I also have the steering wheel shimmy at 70 mph, just like the first post in this thread. I don't know much about auto maintenance but I know the dealer charges more than other places. I'm not taking my Pilot back to the home garage mechanic but am going to take it to a bonafide business that works on Hondas. The home garage mechanic said I'm going to need inner tie rods and motor mounts next. Any advice on how much money I should be putting into my Pilot at this point? I'm thinking the transmission will crap out soon.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Honestly if you think the transmission is on its way out you might consider what you will do when that occurs. If your plan will be to replace the tranny (expect this to cost at least $2k) then it would make sense to have those other repairs performed relatively soon. But if you have no plans to replace the tranny when it kicks the bucket then you might consider replacing faulty items only if they become a safety concern or if there is a high probability of leaving you stranded if something fails. Save that money for a future vehicle purchase.

The front and passenger side motor mounts are common failure points on the Pilot. Aftermarket set can be purchased for less than $100. OEM will run 3x that. It should take a shop no more than four hours to replace both (It took me seven hours to replace mine the first time; I’m certain I could shave off a few hours the second go around.). How much labor costs depends on your location. Where I live dealer shop rate is $170/hour. Dealer wanted $1200 to replace both mounts.

I’m not sure what is involved for replacing tie rods.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts