Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AM reception is OK, but FM reception is pretty bad. It does pick up all the FM stations, but the reception is kind of unstable, like driving in the mountains or entering a tunnel. The stations don't really fade, but the sound is "dirty" and slightly distorted. I attribute this problem to the antenna thats etched into the rearmost driver side window. I fount a small tab in the pillar panel behind which theres an antenna connector attached to the window. The connection looked good and therefore the problem is either the radio itself or the etched antenna. I think its the antenna. The way to test this would be to attach a piece of thin wire to that connector and see if reception improves. If it does, then perhabs it makes sense to glue that wire around the edge of the window so that it can't be seen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Try doing a search about this topic.

Consumer Reports actually did a report about radio reception, specifically antennas integrated into windows and the Pilot didn't do so hot. It was ranked one of the worst for reception.

If you read some of the posts (using search) you'll see some people have been able to improve on it. I just listen to CD's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
The first thing you want checked is the antenna connection at the back of the radio. After much debating and discussion Ziploc fixed her reception problem with a trip to the dealer (see here). I think some other owners had similar success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
tim.s said:
The first thing you want checked is the antenna connection at the back of the radio. After much debating and discussion Ziploc fixed her reception problem with a trip to the dealer (see here). I think some other owners had similar success.
Here's a diagram of what the connections on the back of the radio head unit look like. I've indicated which one is the antenna connection... :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
kemosabe said:
Here's a diagram of what the connections on the back of the radio head unit look like. I've indicated which one is the antenna connection... :)
Is this from the service manual? I've been debating on getting one.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
kadiir said:
Is this from the service manual? I've been debating on getting one.

kad
kadiir: Yes, it is from the Service Manual... I cut/pasted the relevant section to supplement tim.s's post earlier. I would say that if you are a DIY'er, it's a good thing to have in your library!!! :4: :17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
kemosabe said:
kadiir: Yes, it is from the Service Manual... I cut/pasted the relevant section to supplement tim.s's post earlier. I would say that if you are a DIY'er, it's a good thing to have in your library!!! :4: :17:
The service manual is worth it, if for no other reason than to stay on top of the discussions on the forum. Here's a link to order it from Helm, Inc. for $70 plus shipping.:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Thanks Kemo & Jay. Would you say that the electrical manual would be worth it as well? I'm not a big DIY, per se, but it is nice to have that info to at least troubleshoot things before taking it to a mechanic for repair.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
kadiir said:
Thanks Kemo & Jay. Would you say that the electrical manual would be worth it as well? I'm not a big DIY, per se, but it is nice to have that info to at least troubleshoot things before taking it to a mechanic for repair.

kad
I can't comment on the electrical manual, as I don't have one, and I don't think kemosabe has one, either. Maybe N_Jay can comment, as it appears he has one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
kadiir said:
Thanks Kemo & Jay. Would you say that the electrical manual would be worth it as well? I'm not a big DIY, per se, but it is nice to have that info to at least troubleshoot things before taking it to a mechanic for repair.

kad
I don't have the ETM, but like jay mentioned, the other Jay has it, N_Jay...

...I'm not really into troubleshooting my electrical system, personally, but that's just me -- N_Jay seems to find it rewarding, though!!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
kemosabe said:
...I'm not really into troubleshooting my electrical system, personally, but that's just me -- N_Jay seems to find it rewarding, though!!! :)
Ordinarily, I wouldn't be interested, either, but since my 89 camry has an electrical problem (charging, more specifically) it was on my mind :)

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:
I don't have the ETM, but like jay mentioned, the other Jay has it, N_Jay...

...I'm not really into troubleshooting my electrical system, personally, but that's just me -- N_Jay seems to find it rewarding, though!!! :)
It should be one manual, but since Honda sells the ETM separate I had to buy both.

I buy the manuals on all the cars I own.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top