Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, sorry for the long post, just wanted to share an experience with current Pilot owners about Magnaflow Exhaust and their warranty procedure. For a little bit of background, I own 2005 Infiniti G35 coupe which needed to have the oem cat back exhaust system replaced due to rust several years ago. I did some research online and settled on Magnaflow exhaust because of the glowing recommendations from users and their price point compared to other exhaust manufacturers. I ordered a cat back system from a authorized online distributor for approximately $1,000 and had it delivered to my home and had it installed by a local mechanic. Several years after the Infiniti had the Magnaflow exhaust mounted, the OEM catalytic converter on my 2004 Honda Pilot had broken at the flange and needed to be replaced in 2017. I was happy with the Magnaflow exhaust and the workmanship so I didn't hesitate to go online and order a Magnaflow catalytic converter for the Pilot. The Pilot required the pricier California cat converter because I'm a NY state resident and NY requires it to pass emissions. I ordered the Magnaflow cat converter from an authorized online distributor, had it delivered to my home and installed by a local mechanic. Fast forward to March of 2020 and the Magnaflow cat converter failed with the internals breaking apart and clogged the exhaust causing it to bog down due to the exhaust restriction. The Pilot had to be towed to my local mechanic where he diagnosed the cat converter failure to be the problem and wanted to know how to proceed. I told him that it was a fairly new cat converter (3 years old at this point) and that I would contact Magnaflow to start a warranty claim for a replacement. I called Magnaflow customer service on 3/10/2020 and told them that their cat converter had failed and wanted to know the steps to file a warranty claim. The Magnaflow representative asked the usual questions and wanted to know where I purchased the cat converter. I told the Magnaflow representative that I purchased it form an authorized distributor and at that point he wanted a copy of the receipt. I had searched for the receipt prior to calling Magnaflow customer service but could only find the receipt from my local mechanic which listed the work performed to install the cat converter. I advised the Magnaflow representative of this fact. He advised me to contact my credit card company and try to track the purchase this way. I have approximately 10 credit cards and tried to research the ones that I use on a daily basis for purchases. I also had closed the accounts of some credit cards that I no longer used. My mechanic at this point wanted to know what to do with the vehicle because it had been sitting in his shop for about a week while I was trying to research where I purchased the Magnaflow cat converter. I told him to proceed to change the cat converter with an aftermarket converter because of the problems tracking the original Magnaflow receipt. I have the defective Magnaflow cat converter with the serial numbers and model number clearly visible and ready for Magnaflow if they decide to warranty their product with a visual inspection. Please, take this a warning from someone who is getting the run around from Magnaflow....if you purchased one of their products in the past, find the receipt and keep it handy!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with Magnaflow products but your outcome might have been different with the original receipt. Seems some aftermarket exhaust components have a rep for lower cost coupled with shorter life. If you plan to keep the vehicle OEM is probably the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
aggrex, my post was to let others know about the my experience with Magnaflow so as to avoid my predicament. I retained the defective Magnaflow cat converter in case Magnaflow wanted to examine it for manufacturing defects.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I DIY, and have had terrible experiences with after market cats 💩. All fitment issues. I had a used Civic with a cracked cat. After an examining closer, I found that what ever shop installed it, left off the lower mounting bolt that secures the bottom of the cat to the engine block because the bracket welded to the cat was off a 1/2 inch 💩. So with the tension from the exhaust pipe pulling on the head bolts, it cracked in time (This is just one experience). A lot of shops out there will install your aftermarket cat for you, but if your lower mount doesn't lieline up, they may just leave it that way and not tell you.
I'll never buy 💩 aftermarket cats again and try to DIY. A muffler shop can always cut and weld things for you, but even then, inspect their work to insure your exhaust pipe is not being fully supported just by your 4 manifold bolts. The repair will not last and will result in an exhaust leak. Most mechanic shops will not weld anything so buyer beware. Go OEM. The bolts will line up and your back on the road quickly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fortunately on the '04 pilot there is only one cat converter, flanged, bolted, and hung between the flex pipe and the exhaust pipe. Not much fitment issues fortunately. Unfortunately the cost of an OEM converter is over $1k likely due to the catalyst load on the single unit.

I always DIY too so when my '04 rear ceramic separated from the wall and rattled I decided to try an aftermarket Walker unit. I also put new O2 sensors even though it probably didn't need it but the car has over 200,000 on it. So far the aftermarket is working ok. I am also one of those that I never actually rely on a warranty product unless it is just sent to me screwed up or something stupid broke on it during installation. Just me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
BTW, when I did my cat converter, I noticed that the OEM exhaust was made by walker. I dropped the cat back to paint it since it was so rusty.

hewalk.JPG

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
You got scammed dude i'm in Upstate NY the emissions test you are referencing too is what the OBDII scan states . in the inspection all they do is plug the pc up and let it do its thing.
IF the cat is running within spec and there is no check engine light or codes then you should have passed our stupid give more money to the state inspection. I don't think the cats are the cali model according to the Honda's website ours are not the same model if you were to buy them from Honda online .

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would think any paint on any exhaust part would burn off.
Well yeah normal paint would burn off, but I used the high heat stuff made for painting exhausts. I had pretty good luck with it in the past, you just have to cure it in right by idling for like 20 mins then let cool for 10mins, a few times then go on an few miles drive. I forget exactly the process but it worked for me :).

·
Registered
733 Posts
Well yeah normal paint would burn off, but I used the high heat stuff made for painting exhausts. I had pretty good luck with it in the past, you just have to cure it in right by idling for like 20 mins then let cool for 10mins, a few times then go on an few miles drive. I forget exactly the process but it worked for me :).
Interesting. 🤔
I don't like rust either.

·
Registered
248 Posts
On a 2004 RAV 4 with cat codes, I removed the upstream AF sensors and sprayed sea foam directly into the cats (it has two side by side). It smoked like crazy for 40 miles (no one tailgated, lol). I cleared the fault. 4 months later so far so good. I will do the same for my 04 Pilot.

·
Registered
53 Posts
if its not a California emissions vehicle don't use the cali cats.... also i do the same at my work for any warranty but i can pull purchase history and last 4 of card numbers...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts