Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pilot problems even before delivery.

Went to pick up my Pilot today. I had to wait for the dealer to get my accessories in and install them. That took a week. They only arrived today and were still being installed in the afternoon which was when I had arranged to pick up my vehicle. I spent an hour or so with the business manager completing more paperwork, while he tried to sell me glass etching, life insurance etc. I went away for a few hours while they finished prepping my vehicle. When I came back the salesman said my vehicle was ready to be driven away but I might spot a little defect which they'd fix.
I sure did. The front bumper had small dints or blemishes and small erosions. They said this happened when installing the fog light and that they'd replace the bumper but there was no reason not to drive it away this evening anyway. I then noticed that the fog lights did not appear to be properly installed. I was getting the fog lights without the bumper trim package. the fog lights functioned OK but the foglight holder was so loose I could fit my fingers between the fog light cover or holder and the bumper.
I then found that the left rear woodgrain trim around the third seat bin/cupholder was warped and did not fit well at all. The one on the right hand side needed more glue as it was lifting at one corner. Finally the passenger side woodgrain trim along the centre console had a gap under it too. It needs more glue.
Needless to say despite the insistence of the salesman and the business manager that I drive the car away and their promise to fix the vehicle as soon as new parts came in I stuck to my guns and told them I'd only drive off the lot when I was satisfied that everything was OK. I feel this Calgary area dealer has had very little experience installing accessories onto Pilots.
My principal concern now is that there may be a colour mismatch between the rest of the vehicle and the front bumper. If I'm not entirely happy I'm thinking of walking away from this dealer altogether.

·
Registered
964 Posts
CalgaryPilot said:
Pilot problems even before delivery.

Went to pick up my Pilot today. I had to wait for the dealer to get my accessories in and install them. That took a week. They only arrived today and were still being installed in the afternoon which was when I had arranged to pick up my vehicle. I spent an hour or so with the business manager completing more paperwork, while he tried to sell me glass etching, life insurance etc. I went away for a few hours while they finished prepping my vehicle. When I came back the salesman said my vehicle was ready to be driven away but I might spot a little defect which they'd fix.
I sure did. The front bumper had small dints or blemishes and small erosions. They said this happened when installing the fog light and that they'd replace the bumper but there was no reason not to drive it away this evening anyway. I then noticed that the fog lights did not appear to be properly installed. I was getting the fog lights without the bumper trim package. the fog lights functioned OK but the foglight holder was so loose I could fit my fingers between the fog light cover or holder and the bumper.
I then found that the left rear woodgrain trim around the third seat bin/cupholder was warped and did not fit well at all. The one on the right hand side needed more glue as it was lifting at one corner. Finally the passenger side woodgrain trim along the centre console had a gap under it too. It needs more glue.
Needless to say despite the insistence of the salesman and the business manager that I drive the car away and their promise to fix the vehicle as soon as new parts came in I stuck to my guns and told them I'd only drive off the lot when I was satisfied that everything was OK. I feel this Calgary area dealer has had very little experience installing accessories onto Pilots.
My principal concern now is that there may be a colour mismatch between the rest of the vehicle and the front bumper. If I'm not entirely happy I'm thinking of walking away from this dealer altogether.
I would walk on this deal. I, too, am leary of color mismatch on a new vehicle. I know the possibilities are just about nil that the colors won't match but every time I'd look at it I would still imagine it was there.
This dealer seems inexperienced in all aspects of customer service. I would not only walk away from the deal, I'd walk away from the dealer. Good luck up there!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
:29: for walking away. I'd not take it in that condition, either. Sounds like an inexperienced +/or rush-job on the accessory installs. That part might be excusable (if/when fixed) but trying to con you into taking delivery anwyay -- with all that stuff wrong? No way.

If you consider taking it when it's in the condition it *should* be in, just make sure the front bumper is properly replaced. I'd be inclined to wait for the next "not screwed up" one or find another dealer, but you might consider asking for a di$count. They've got a car with accessories and labor in it. And nobody (yet, anyway) who wants it ;)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'd be very careful of color mismatch. That's one of the most noticable things when you go to sell and used car sales managers always greatly devalue a vehicle with non-matching paint. It's an obvious signal of accident damage and you have no way of proving otherwise. Sounds like the woodgrain applique warped in storage. It may never stick down right. Sorry to be no negative, but you were sure right to not take delivery. Once you drive it, it's yours.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Holy cow, CalgaryPilot, I feel your pain. And I think it took balls to leave the lot like that, but good for you and I think it'll turn out to be wise decision after all. Just make sure to document everything, even photographing the damages/defects if you can. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
483 Posts
RipRocK said:
Holy cow, CalgaryPilot, I feel your pain. And I think it took balls to leave the lot like that
RipRock, what if CalgaryPilot is a woman? lol

You did the right thing as hard as it may have been, I'm sure the dealership wanted you to take delivery of the vehicle, now they have to be worried that you are contemplating walking away from the purchase. You have some leverage now and if it were me, I would use it to get some money off of either some accessories or a upcoming service.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I'd have made every attempt to walk away, too. It's stories like this that prevent me from getting any options that I can't install myself. Every vehicle I've owned has been damaged by a dealer at some point, either installing options or doing warranty repairs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's an update from Calgary.
On Thursday I phoned Honda Canada's customer service line and made a complaint there, particularly that the business manager and salesman were so keen to get me to drive off the lot with a damaged vehicle.
I then contacted a dealer in Calgary who was more than keen for me to come to him. Since I now have a written deal to show other dealers I would be in a better bargaining position to improve further on my original deal.
Finally I phoned the owner of the dealership where I had purchased my Pilot to explain that I was very dissatisfied, that I expected much better from Honda etc. He said that instead of having a new bumper sent out from the Ontario factory in which case there may be a colour mismatch he would take a bumper from another brand new sandstone Pilot on the lot and attach that to my Pilot. He'd also get a new fog light trim piece and a new wood trim piece. He said he would personally deal with me to make sure that everything was to my complete satisfaction.
I personally think they should do something to compensate for my aggravation and frustration: a Honda bike rack might be an idea.
Just in case they did a very god repair job on my original bumper I'll be sure to ask to see my damaged bumper and/or the other Pilot that is now missing a bumper. If the dealership has been anything but entirely honest I'll walk.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Makes you wonder if the pilot they stole the bumper off of, will they just repaint a bumper slap it on and sell it as new and not tell its future owner that it has been messed with?:rolleyes:

Matt

·
Registered
602 Posts
The fact that this dealer would be willing to disassemble a brand new unsold vehicle and then put a new bumper on it is very disturbing. I feel bad for the guy who purchases that vehicle. That bumper will most likely be painted by the dealership's body shop, so the paint job won't be factory. This is much more than a touch up, which could happen when a vehicle is slightly damaged during shipment from the factory. You can bet that they will never tell the buyer of this Pilot that his bumper is not original.

I would not reward such dishonesty, not to mention the 5 thumbs service department that screwed things up in the first place.

If it were me, I'd get my deposit back and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked up my Pilot last Wednesday. The bumper had been replaced. I searched out another sandstone Pilot on the lot and found one parked facing a fence whose bumper was missing. The salesman told me the bumper was being returned to the factory.
The accessory install, foglights and wood trim was much improved so I was happy to accept delivery of my new Pilot. For all my trouble I managed to negotiate a free set of all-weather floor mats which fit very well but do not cover the area under the driver's left foot. With all the snow and slush we get in Calgary I don't want to mess up my carpets.
I've only put about 100 miles on my Pilot so far, but I'm very happy with it. I plan to take it out to the mountains at the weekend.
I got the Homelink working at last. I think the battery in one of my remotes was low which is why one remote just wouldn't teach the Homelink.
My salesman called me this evening to know how things were going. I told him so far so good. I'd forgotten to ask for a touch-up pen when I picked up the Pilot. He said he'd have one for me when I call in next.
He also mentioned that a team of Honda sales people went out to Kananaskis ( a provincial park an hours drive west of Calgary and the site of down-hill skiing during the '88 Olympics) this week to compare the off road handling capabilities of the Pilot with a selection of competitor SUV's including an Envoy, Grand Cherokee and Explorer. He told me the Pilot more than held it's own. He said he'd send some photos. When I get them, I'll try to post them on an appropriate thread.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Wow, CalgaryPilot, so glad to hear that all worked out for you in the end. Nice to see a dealer who'll readily take responsibility and resolve the problems for their customers. Time to rack up those kilometers :D

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
CalgaryPilot said:
Happy at last!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I picked up my Pilot last Wednesday. The bumper had been replaced. I searched out another sandstone Pilot on the lot and found one parked facing a fence whose bumper was missing. The salesman told me the bumper was being returned to the factory.
The accessory install, foglights and wood trim was much improved so I was happy to accept delivery of my new Pilot. For all my trouble I managed to negotiate a free set of all-weather floor mats which fit very well but do not cover the area under the driver's left foot. With all the snow and slush we get in Calgary I don't want to mess up my carpets.
I've only put about 100 miles on my Pilot so far, but I'm very happy with it. I plan to take it out to the mountains at the weekend.
I got the Homelink working at last. I think the battery in one of my remotes was low which is why one remote just wouldn't teach the Homelink.
My salesman called me this evening to know how things were going. I told him so far so good. I'd forgotten to ask for a touch-up pen when I picked up the Pilot. He said he'd have one for me when I call in next.
He also mentioned that a team of Honda sales people went out to Kananaskis ( a provincial park an hours drive west of Calgary and the site of down-hill skiing during the '88 Olympics) this week to compare the off road handling capabilities of the Pilot with a selection of competitor SUV's including an Envoy, Grand Cherokee and Explorer. He told me the Pilot more than held it's own. He said he'd send some photos. When I get them, I'll try to post them on an appropriate thread.
Great news that is all worked out - and hopefully whoever ends up with the other Sandstone will have a bumper that matches color (and colour) ! :)

BTW, EXCELLENT choice of color/colour!!! Love my Sandstone!

:7:

·
Registered
449 Posts
kemosabe said:

colorider: Did you find those words from watching movies at the theater/theatre? :p :p :p
No actually, he was down in the centre/center of town with his neighbour/neighbor looking to cash a cheque/check but all he could find was an ABM/ATM when he spied about 50 metres/meters ahead his favourite/favorite flavour/flavor of soda for sale but, alas it was only available in 2 litre/liter bottles.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Twinkie said:

No actually, he was down in the centre/center of town with his neighbour/neighbor looking to cash a cheque/check but all he could find was an ABM/ATM when he spied about 50 metres/meters ahead his favourite/favorite flavour/flavor of soda for sale but, alas it was only available in 2 litre/liter bottles.
:21:

Was this town near the harbor/harbour??? :p

·
Registered
449 Posts
kemosabe said:

Was this town near the harbor/harbour??? :p
Yeah, just past the rose arbor/arbour.

Kemo, it is truly an honour/honor to be in the presence of your humour/humor. Rumour/rumor has it that a catalogue/catalog is going to be created of your funny behaviour/behavior. Clearly the calibre/caliber demonstrated with very little labour/labor or odour/odor on your part shows the lustre/luster and splendour/splendor of your person. Surely such a printing will cause many to clamour/clamor with much vigour/vigor and rigour/rigor. Hopefully, nobody will be charged with a misdemeanour/misdemeanor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts