Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2018 Pilot serviced last week and I’ve been noticing a groan in the rear end when I accelerate from a stop. Once I get up to 25mph the vibration and groan goes away. Today I called the dealer and before I could even finish telling her what was wrong she said “bring it in immediately we have a bad batch of fluid that has been recalled”. She said the company would be responsible for any damage. I asked if I should tow it up there but she said it would probably be ok to drive to the dealership.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Wow, that's not good! Was it Honda fluid or an aftermarket product which some dealerships tend to push for a higher profit margin. When you go in can you find out if it was Honda fluid if they have a date range or product code which is bad? I purchased some Honda fluid about 3 weeks ago online from a Honda dealer but haven't used it yet. I'll hold off until we learn more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that's not good! Was it Honda fluid or an aftermarket product which some dealerships tend to push for a higher profit margin. When you go in can you find out if it was Honda fluid if they have a date range or product code which is bad? I purchased some Honda fluid about 3 weeks ago online from a Honda dealer but haven't used it yet. I'll hold off until we learn more.
I’ll let you know when I drop it off on Friday. I thought the tech forgot to put fluid back in the differential originally until I called. I wonder they didn’t call me if they already knew.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Thanks, I am really curious if it is Honda fluid or not. Might not have called because if you didn't notice anything wrong they may have figured no harm no foul!

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
796 Posts
I bought a 6 quarts of Honda diff fluid a month ago as the parts department told me it was basically back order once what they had was gone.

He was like... This is the last of what I have, no idea when I'm get more. I told him I'll take 3 more.

Walked away with 6 quarts.

Please details when you get it. I already did a fluid change a few weeks ago. No noise though.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I’ll let you know when I drop it off on Friday. I thought the tech forgot to put fluid back in the differential originally until I called. I wonder they didn’t call me if they already knew.
Sounds like they used the wrong diff fluid. Does your receipt list the part number of the fluid they use?

·
Registered
'22 Pilot Elite, '09 RL RTL, '05 MDX Touring
367 Posts
Really? I was always under the assumption that a dealership would use all OEM parts and fluids. Wouldn't they jeopardize the brand otherwise?
Some dealers do use aftermarket fluid. Some dealers even advertise they use aftermarket fluids. The dealer local to me when I lived in North Carolina, Sanford Honda, advertised proudly that they were an all-Valvoline shop. They used Valvoline engine oil, Valvoline (MaxLife) ATF, Valvoline gear oil in the transfer cases, and Valvoline filters. The service writer said they use Honda fluid if there's no Valvoline equivalent, such as for CVTs, VTM-4, and the Dual Pump Fluid II that our Pilots use.

I suspect they have contract deals with distributors for aftermarket fluids and get a MUCH better price per unit than they pay for the OEM fluid. You'd think there could be some erosion of confidence using non-OEM fluid, but the flip side of that is the marketing appeal of a national known brand (like Valvoline or Pennzoil) is also pretty strong.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm with Cbayman on this. My suspicion would be that they screwed up (possibly on multiple vehicles, prompting the calls), either with tech using wrong procedures and/or fluids, and they are in proactive CYA mode. Anyhow, glad they are owning up to it and fixing it, but for long term "insurance", as aggrex mentions, it would be a good idea to get as much of that documented as possible, i.e. "that you had a groaning sound from rear end", etc, and that they "are replacing the 'bad batch' of rear diff fluid". If our suspicions are correct, they may try to limit the paper trail on this one, and leave only generic/non-descript/ambiguous terms on any paperwork/documentation - avoid letting them do that. Likely you wont have any long term issues, but if you ever did, it's good to have it CYA'd from your end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had my 2018 Pilot serviced last week and I’ve been noticing a groan in the rear end when I accelerate from a stop. Once I get up to 25mph the vibration and groan goes away. Today I called the dealer and before I could even finish telling her what was wrong she said “bring it in immediately we have a bad batch of fluid that has been recalled”. She said the company would be responsible for any damage. I asked if I should tow it up there but she said it would probably be ok to drive to the dealership.
SOB... I had a rear differential service on my 2017 in May and noticed the exact same noise last week. 36k miles on my Pilot and only 4k since rear differential service. Brought it into the dealership this week and they told me my rear differential had got so hot it fused some gears together and it's toast. $7k to replace everything. I had to argue that my Pilot was was still under 5 years and 60k, so they are forced to repair under warranty. Though they are telling me they want me to pay for the fluids for the repair though...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Strange that the BG fluid is listed for both the front transfer case and the rear differential. One fluid is a thick consistence like syrup (front transfer case 75W85) and the other a thinner fluid like Kool-Aid. I have read where repair shop mechanics that sell the BG products can redeem a token which is inside some if not all of the bottles for cash or rewards from the BG distributor. Just another incentive for the dealership to sell those products and have a higher profit margin.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cartalk/comments/c0dg8y

·
Registered
499 Posts
They listed BG79264 BG Syncro Shift for the differential fluid. They list BG79264 BG Syncro Shift for front transfer case fluid also.
Like was said - wrong fluid used. Honda HGO-1 (GL5 75W-85) is specified for the transfer case which is BG Ultra Guard not Synchro Shift. Honda DPF2 is specified for the rear differentia. Not sure if Synchro Shift will destroy the rear diff and xfer case but groaning is not a good sign. Don’t let them try to put you on the hook to get a reimbursement from BG. The dealer needs to fix your vehicle and they have to get reimbursed from BG. BG may tell them to pound sand if they used the wrong fluids.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I took my Pilot to the dealer today and he said that BG is paying for everything. He said they would flush the BG fluid out and put in genuine Honda fluid. If there are still problems they will flush and fill again. If that still doesn’t work then they would have to replace the differential. He said they have replaced one so far but since I only had 200 miles with BG fluid a flush and fill should fix it. I drove it home from the dealer and it seemed to be fixed. I’ll let you guys know after more miles and highway driving if the flush and fill fixed it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts