Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what it would cost to have a dealer install the backup sensors after delivery of a Pliot? Are there any non-Honda alternatives?

·
Registered
161 Posts
:( I paid mine for $578.00 Dealer Installed

:cool: 2003 Pilot SS EX-L RES,Fog Lights with Lower Trim,Crossbars for Roof Rails,Half Nose Mask,Rear Splash Guards,Running Boards,Rear Back-Up Sensors,Wheel Locks,Auto Day/Night Mirror,Wood-Grain Trim Panel—All Interior Trim,EX Emblem, VTEC Emblem,Gold Exhaust Finishers,Fog & Head Light using XD5 5100K Bulb, AutoShade Ventvisor,Fender Flare

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I was just quoted $850 installed from a dealer who was not the original vendor of the car. It seems like the part kit itself costs about $450 and, looking at the installation instructions, it would take me at least 4 hours to put in. Guess the way to go is when you first buy the car, not later.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Option

pbn2au,

When you build your own Pilot @ www.hondacars.com, this is the brakedown if you select the Back up sensors:

Exterior Accessories
ITEM PRICE INSTALLED
BACK UP SENSOR $479.00 $605.00
BACK UP SENSOR ATTACHMENT $99.00 $99.00

That would come out to $ 578.00 for the sensor & kits + $ 126.00 for installation.

You can find the sensors + kit for $ 431.25 + shipping at College Hills Honda. Tim has it @ Hondacuraword.com for $ 514.80 + shipping. I'm sure that he would meet or beat College Hills Honda's price. If you are serious about the sensors, I would buy the sensors from Tim and demand the $ 126.00 installation from your dealer. They may even match Tim's price if you ask. Don't hold your breath, though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was quoted $815+tx for parts and installation. The parts quote was $479 for the sensors, $99 for the attachments and $237 for installation.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Geez, I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyway, just got quoted $1,129 for backup sensors installed on my 2006 that I will pickup Saturday. :3: :eek: What a joke... :32:

I think I will just install them myself. I figure I can take a day off work, take apart my brand new Pilot, and still be hundreds of dollars ahead. ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
GreenMachine said:
Geez, I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Anyway, just got quoted $1,129 for backup sensors installed on my 2006 that I will pickup Saturday. :3: :eek: What a joke... :32:

I think I will just install them myself. I figure I can take a day off work, take apart my brand new Pilot, and still be hundreds of dollars ahead. ;)
Wow thats a lot for sensors, I got quoted around $800, but theres a secret to getting them for free...Let the dealer scratch your brand new '06 Black EX-L while trying to park it in the mantiance shop then file a report with the BBB, and they'll throw it in for free, with crossbars, and an extended warrenty. ;) Although the memory of the scratch will haunt you forever...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Does Hondacuraworld sell the 2006 color matched backup sensors? They only show the black ones for the 2003 - 2005 model years. The 2006's cost more. I guess because they are painted to match.

Handaccessories.com has them for $543.19 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Nevermind. I just called Tim, and he sells them of course. :bonk: He said they were the same price as the ones listed already. I just stated the color I wanted for our 2006 - Steel Blue.

I order the sensors, cargo tray, and rear mud guards and saved almost $100 over HandA. Thanks Tim!! :6:

·
Registered
747 Posts
the one mistake you made is to contact dealer
I think right now, any garage can do that for a popular vehicle like Pilot.
And I bet they will just ask a fraction of dealer price

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
timchen said:
the one mistake you made is to contact dealer
Not really. I would have paid about $200 labor to have it installed by the dealer, and since I would be doing it at the time of purchase, I would also get the 3yr/36K mile warranty on the parts and labor, versus the 12month/12K mile warranty on the parts only by installing myself. Honestly, I don't think they like doing those installs because there's too much to mess up and that's why they priced it so high. But, I guess there might be a handful of suckers who would take that price though, but I am certainly not one of them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
wake up and check ebay, backup sensors are way less than $100 nowaday..
I got two sensors for $9.99 and they works just fine on my other car for two years already.
I guess in your case peace of mind is priceless:D

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah go buy from ebay and one of the oem honda website has step by step instrucitons on how to install them on your 06 honda pilot. In fact, I installed one on my 04 F150 last year and planning on doing it on my wife's this spring.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I was on the e-store on Honda's ownerlink, and I noticed they have the accessories priced with or without installation. You could buy them there and get them installed at the dealership. The backup sensors, which I have decided to install myself, are $835 versus that ridiculous price of $1,129 my stealer gave me. $835 should be the most anyone should pay for such an item.

They have prices for all the accessories, so check there first before you buy from your dealer and/or have them install them because you certainly shouldn't pay anymore than what is shown.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Although not on a Honda, I just paid $850 for backup sensors to be installed in my Volvo XC70.... so $800-ish seems about right.

It is steep, but that seems to be the going rate :4:

OH, here's a tip though.

BEFORE you get your backup sensors installed on any vehicle, take a bunch of high-quality photos of the rear bumper and related areas... again BEFORE... the install.

Then, if there is any damage, scratches, or other issues with the installation, you have documentation that the dealer cannot easily refute.

I had some scratches put in my bumper during my installation on the Volvo, and luckily I had some high-res photos of the rear bumper prior... just luck really.

But it made it possible for me to illustrate the new damage, and the dealer then was willing to take care of me and get a new bumper and reinstall the sensors.

Good luck!
al

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just had to get some new sensors installed since the right side one was chipped during a bumper to bumper hit. Dealer said I would have to buy a set of 4 brand new ones just to replace the one broken sensor, Paid around $450 for it. If anyone chipped the coating of their sensor or just need replacements, email me, I'm trying to sell these things. I got like maybe 2-3 that are in perfect condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 Pilot backup wire

hello, this is my first thread ever to this forum. Thank you all for such valuable info. I ordered back up sensors from Poronusa.com to install on my 06 honda pilot.
Could anybody let me know what's the safest and least risky way to connect the harness to the backup wire? I am kinda scared dismantling my brand new vehicle.
thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts