Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just had the the tow hitch pacakage and backup sensors installed today. Everything works fine, but when I brought it home something was not quite right.

I noticed that the corner backup sensors were not quite like the picture on the Honda site, or in the drawing in the installation manual. They seemed to have installed the corners roughly 6" closer to the center then from the pictures I have seen on the web (right above the end of the gray plastic).

I really do not care that much about the looks, but I am more concerned about function, and I am sure the corner sensors will not pickup objects close to the rear corners of the Pilot. I am going to call the service rep tomorrow and see what she says. I am going to print out the install instructions and the picture from the Honda site and show them to her. If they are wrong and the are going to fix them then they will have to patch and paint the rear bumper cover and install the corner sensor in the correct spots. Not sure I really want to go the route if I do not have to.

Does anyone else with backup sensors installed have a picture they can post? I also know that this was the first time they installed backup sensors on a Pilot.

Any help would be great.

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the backup sensors and can post a pic tonight. If memory serves (I don't pay attention to them all the time) they are out more towards the corners. The proof will be in the picture. I this evening is soon enough for you. It is definitely important that they be in the correct spot in order to pick up objects on the corners. The sensors even have a different beep tone for the corners than they do for the middle.

Chris

·
Registered
469 Posts
Backup sensors

The sensor's on my wife's Pilot were installed by the local 'factory trained' technicians. They are approximately two inches outside the inside edge of of the taillight assembly. If you read the installation instructions, there are marks that locate the sensors molded into the inside of the bumper (step 7). It would appear to be difficult to mis-locate them, but then again...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Backup system installation

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These were installed by a Honda dealer. I printed out the instructions and the picture from Honda's site. It would still be great if one of you guys can send me a picture so I can show them on another Pilot.

I will tell you what happens.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
469 Posts
Backup sensors

If my wife's Pilot weren't badly in need of a bath, I'd send you a picture!!!:(

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No pics need

I just got back from the dealer and they said they will make it right. I brought them the installation instructions, the print of the picture from the Honda site and the print of this thread. I thought I would have to fight, but I had an answer within 10 min. The dealer is Mike Harvey Honda, I have been impressed so far with them.

Now I have 2 options, they will order a new bumper cover and paint it, it comes black. Or they will order 2 new corner sensors and put them where they are supposed to be and will abondon the 2 others. If they go that route they will do my 7500- mile service for free, and give me 100- worth of free stuff. The draw back would be that I would have 6 sensors on the back of my Pilot and only 4 will work. I have seen 6 on the Benz and BMW so might not be that much of an issue. I think the spacing would be about right also, but they will not have to paint the bumper cover. He said there should not be any issue matching the RRP.

What does the group think I should do? I can just about go either way on this one. Do you think seeing 2 extra sensors would be a turn off?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would go with the second option with 6 sensors and take the free offer for service @7500 miles and $100.00 worth of stuff. The holes are so small, they will not compromise the strenght of the bumper. IMHO

Back-up sensors are a great add-ons, my wife drives Pilot and I know her driving :rolleyes:

KE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Backup sensors

I can only imagine what the rigid styrafoam bumper backing will look like after 6 sensors. I installed my own sensors, and as careful as I was.....I still ended up with a "break" in the styrafoam. I'm surprised they can't just order the bumper covers by color. I was under the impression they were molded with the desired color....not painted afterwards.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Go for the 2nd option...

I also have the backup sensor, if you have 6, then you are special.

I always believe the factory paint will be better than the 'out of factory paint'. (?)

So keep the factory painted bumper, get 2 more sensors and all the freebes. Most of all keep the good relation with the servide guys, you will need them more in the future.:p

I think most bumpers (99%) are painted afterward, not molded in color.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If it doesn't look like a mistake, go with option 2. This will depend on your level of aesthetic acceptance. When you sell it, either way you may have to explain to the buyer what happened back there.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Option 2 ... but

I think you know what you really want to do ... just go with what your gut and first instincts tell you to do ...

PrG

·
Registered
469 Posts
Backup sensors

I'd go with the secind option - paint adhesion is MUCH better with factory paint. Besides that, everyone who knows anything about the Pilot will wonder what special powers your Pilot has - you'll worry them to death!!!:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
919 Posts
Definitely option 2. Too much unknown with option 1.

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Option 2 it is

This is why I like groups like these. Thanks for all your feedback, it was a great help in making my choice for option 2. I told them that I will wait for the Day/night mirror to come in to install the other 2 sensors. At that time I will ask for one of those Due slips for the free 7500 mile free service (I will save the free oil change Due slip for the oil change after that) I will figure out what I would like to get for my credit. I saw a couple of those nice chrome Pilot license plate frames. I will have to think about it. Any ideas?

I really did like the fact that there was no fight, and they said it was their fault. I like when there is accountability.

I will send pictures of the rear cover with the extra sensors.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!!!

:6:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Backup sensors

WNYPilotGuy said:
I can only imagine what the rigid styrafoam bumper backing will look like after 6 sensors. I installed my own sensors, and as careful as I was.....I still ended up with a "break" in the styrafoam. I'm surprised they can't just order the bumper covers by color. I was under the impression they were molded with the desired color....not painted afterwards.
They looked it up while I was standing there and said they are not pre-painted. If they were pre-painted the service manager said that I should just go that route.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Need Puccetti's help!

Hey Puccetti:
I am in the bay area too and was interested in getting some of the accessories that you already have: Rear sensors, day/night morror, fog lights, CD changer.
Can you advise on where and how much you paid for each of that stuff.
Thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, no good information for you. I bought the Pilot from Mike Harvey Honda in Burlingame and negociated the options for the total price of the car since they would not go lower then 1400- over msrp, but with the price of the options a few tanks of gas and an extra detail I got it for around MSRP.

I would recomend Mike Harvey for installing the options, they are a small shop, but so far have stood by their product even when the screwed up the install of the backup sensors as you can tell by this thread.

The advantage of having the dealer install the options is that Honda will cover the warrenty of the options for the life of the warranty of the Pilot. That being said, if you had a problem with something you installed, how would they know it was not installed by Honda.

If you are mechanical I would buy the options on line and install them yourself.

Sorry, not too much help

Chris

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well it continues...

They did install the extra sensors, and they do not look bad. I then noticed that they ripped off the rubber bushings around the center sensors, when they detailed the car.

So I took it back. They installed the new bushings, but this time they installed the sensors sideways. I talked to the service manager yet again and he said that they are going to end up replacing the bumper cover now because the holes in the cover for the center sensors are to large. But in the mean time with the sensors the way they were installed they made the beep noice everytime I put it in reverse. I called them up and told them that I am going to have to fix this Saturday because it is driving me crazy.

I just fixed the problem and notice that they damaged the tabs on the cover anyway and stripped a couple of screws. I also noticed that when they put in the tow hitch they also stripped 2 screws. I am calling them up on Monday. I told the sales person and the service manager that they are going to be doing something else for me.

They are trying to make it right, but how many times do I have to bring it back?????

1 - 18 of 18 Posts