Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all of you PILOTeers.

Have you noticed, or is it just me, that it is fairly hard to back your PILOT into a space and have it actually be in the parking space "straight?"

I ask this question, because I can back just about anything into a parking space and have it be straight in there. I didn't have a problem with my Expedition, but my PILOT is making me nuts.

When I back my PILOT into a parking space, it appears that I'm backing in straight when using my mirrors etc., but when I get out of my PILOT, I actually am at some sort of an angle.

Maybe my driving prowess is slipping in my old age (I'm only 34 for the record)

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Practice

Never got the Range Rover strait.
Think the right side mirror had a lot of convex.

WIsh the Pilot right side mirror had more convex, but I back it strait.

Maybe there is a relationship?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah same thing happens to me, that's why I try to find a space where I can pull in, not back in :D Also when I back in and it looks like I'm close to the car behind me, I stop, turn it off, get out and notice that there's tons of space left behind me.......and I'm like huh??

Does Ripley know about the PILOT? :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I find the Pilot gives the impression of a much larger vehicle. Think of it as an Accord. I don't have the problem anymore. Fits perfectly just about anywhere!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I used to have troubles while just navigating (backward) with the mirrors. When I twist around and drive while looking backward out the back window, I never have a problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
try dropping your side mirrors down so you can have a better look at the curb you are parking up against.

yes, a bit of a pain, but I bet after a few tries you wont even be looking at the mirrors anymore.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Pilot-1 said:
Yeah same thing happens to me, that's why I try to find a space where I can pull in, not back in :D Also when I back in and it looks like I'm close to the car behind me, I stop, turn it off, get out and notice that there's tons of space left behind me.......and I'm like huh??

Does Ripley know about the PILOT? :eek:
Yea me too! Glad I read this - thought it was just me!
Like 91Octane's suggestion! didn't have the problem with my Accord so maybe I can fool myself! ...HUH? :eek:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sage said:

Yea me too! Glad I read this - thought it was just me!
Like 91Octane's suggestion! didn't have the problem with my Accord so maybe I can fool myself! ...HUH? :eek:
This isn't an 18 wheeler. Just trying to make the point that the vehicle is not as big as it seems from a driving perspective. Didn't mean to raise your sarcasm.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
91Octane said:

This isn't an 18 wheeler. Just trying to make the point that the vehicle is not as big as it seems from a driving perspective. Didn't mean to raise your sarcasm.
What the HE** are you talking about...sarcasm? I was agreeing with you and thought it was a good suggestion! Gees!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well, didn't come across that way. With the Huh? :eek:

Excuse my inaccurate perception.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
91Octane said:
Well, didn't come across that way. With the Huh? :eek:

Excuse my inaccurate perception.
I was repeating Pilot-1's HUH in reference to his dismay at finding a crooked Pilot and making fun of myself trying to fool my own pathetic brain! I've been away a couple of month's, hope you get to know me and know I wouldn't have made fun or been sarcastic except in jest. :jester:
Back to the backing up problem, it seems I'm intimidated by the size of the Pilot backing up. But you're right, it's really no different than the Accord except it's higher and the view is a bit obstructed, maybe that's what makes me hesitate to just back out.
Have a great day 91O! Go Bucs! :cool:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I apoligize for the confusion Sage. Don't know why I read it the wrong way. :)

I appreciate your response. I really enjoy this forum. Lots of great information, and the people are most helpful.

Oh... I forgot to mention, I bought a 3 in. round convex mirror with an adhesive back. I put it on the drivers side mirror. Really helps with lane changes, merging etc. I also put a small retanguler convex mirror on the passenger side mirror. This allows me to see my rear wheel . Great for backing into a parking spot. You know exactly how far away you are from the curb. Cheers

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
91Octane said:
I apoligize for the confusion Sage. Don't know why I read it the wrong way. :)

I appreciate your response. I really enjoy this forum. Lots of great information, and the people are most helpful.

Oh... I forgot to mention, I bought a 3 in. round convex mirror with an adhesive back. I put it on the drivers side mirror. Really helps with lane changes, merging etc. I also put a small retanguler convex mirror on the passenger side mirror. This allows me to see my rear wheel . Great for backing into a parking spot. You know exactly how far away you are from the curb. Cheers
I'll have to try that. Thanks!! :cool:

·
Registered
415 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
try dropping your side mirrors down so you can have a better look at the curb you are parking up against.
sure would've been nice if this auto feature was incorporated by Honda, much like GMC did on the Envoy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the passenger side mirror angled slightly down. I can see cars on the side just fine while driving and changing lanes. When backing up I just have to lean slightly towards the mirror a bit to see the ground/curb. That's not a big deal for me since it's more of a habit for me to turn my head and look out the back window rather than use the rear view mirror when I backing up in a normal sized car.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Backing in Your Pilot

Jiaronnis said:

sure would've been nice if this auto feature was incorporated by Honda, much like GMC did on the Envoy.
I had this feature on my previous vehicle (Buick Park Avenue) and found it to be very distracting in all "normal" backing situations. Also, with the auto-tilt activated, it made it difficult to monitor the right side of the vehicle when backing out of a parking space or my garage.

YMMV

rod

1 - 16 of 16 Posts