Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to put my brand new License Plate on my 3 week old 2004 Pilot and discovered that the Left-Side Clear Back-up Light Cover has a chunk missing from the inboard side. I can see the piece(s) still inside the light bulb area.

It looks like I was unlucky enough to be driving by someone operating a lawn mower (or weed eater) that threw a pebble or something....... :( I did a pretty complete inspection to see if I took any other hits by flying debris, but cannot find any other damage.

My 3 questions :

1. Is this something that would be covered under my Honda Care 7yr / 100k mi / $0 deductible warranty ? (I don't think it will be, but it never hurts to ask.....)

2. Is there a place / website to obtain an OEM replacement part other than from my friendly neighborhood Honda Dealer ($ 61.64 + tax)?

3. How difficult is it to remove the Left-Side Clear Back-up Light Cover? [think a "less than experienced" guy who has mechanical aptitude and who can usually follow directions]

I put a piece of clear tape over the hole to keep the rain out, but that looks "really sad" on my brand new Pilot.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
dillpickle said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
3. How difficult is it to remove the Left-Side Clear Back-up Light Cover? [think a "less than experienced" guy who has mechanical aptitude and who can usually follow directions]
[ S N I P P E D ]
I can help you out with question #3 -- this is from the 2003 Owners Manual, but I would think your 2004 Owners Manual is the same:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Back-Up Light Cover - Broken

kemosabe said:
I can help you out with question #3 -- this is from the 2003 Owners Manual, but I would think your 2004 Owners Manual is the same:
I appreciate the instructions, but I couldn't see where they address how to remove/replace the outer, clear plastic light cover.

Can I get access to the cover thru the light socket hole? Do the Nuts shown above and below the light socket in the picture hold the outer, clear plastic light cover on?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Back-Up Light Cover - Broken

dillpickle said:
I appreciate the instructions, but I couldn't see where they address how to remove/replace the outer, clear plastic light cover.

Can I get access to the cover thru the light socket hole? Do the Nuts shown above and below the light socket in the picture hold the outer, clear plastic light cover on?
D'oh!!! You're right... maybe this next page from the 2003 Service Manual will help (I may have to scan page 20-130, too):

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
dillpickle said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
2. Is there a place / website to obtain an OEM replacement part other than from my friendly neighborhood Honda Dealer ($ 61.64 + tax)?
[ S N I P P E D ]
From time to time, you may be able to find replacement lenses on fleaBay, like this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Back-Up Light Cover - Broken

kemosabe said:
From time to time, you may be able to find replacement lenses on fleaBay, like this one:
...but with fleaBay, it's kind of a hit or miss thing depending on when a seller may have one available. Here's the other (opposing) side:

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Re: Re: Back-Up Light Cover - Broken

kemosabe said:
D'oh!!! You're right... maybe this next page from the 2003 Service Manual will help (I may have to scan page 20-130, too):
Now we're cookin! :4:

Would you also scan the 20-130 page for the license plate trim as well as the one that talks about how to remove the maintenance "lids" from the back tailgate?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks........ :D

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
dillpickle said:
Went to put my brand new License Plate on my 3 week old 2004 Pilot and discovered that the Left-Side Clear Back-up Light Cover has a chunk missing from the inboard side. I can see the piece(s) still inside the light bulb area.

It looks like I was unlucky enough to be driving by someone operating a lawn mower (or weed eater) that threw a pebble or something....... :( I did a pretty complete inspection to see if I took any other hits by flying debris, but cannot find any other damage.

Thanks for any help you can send my way.
Click here for parts diagrams regarding the Lamp Unit, L. (Part # 10). They have it listed for $ 36.99 + shipping. Call Tim @ hondacuraworld.com for a good price.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Back-Up Light Cover - Broken

dillpickle said:
Now we're cookin! :4:

Would you also scan the 20-130 page for the license plate trim as well as the one that talks about how to remove the maintenance "lids" from the back tailgate?

Thanks, Thanks, Thanks........ :D
Here's page 20-130...

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
The maintenance lids are just the two plastic covers that are on the inside portion of the tailgate. Here is the one on the left:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
And here is the one on the right. Just pry it open with a flat tip screwdriver (or equivalent tool) in the slot that I've circled in red and then remove it once it's loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info.

kemosabe said:
The maintenance lids are just the two plastic covers that are on the inside portion of the tailgate. Here is the one on the left:
The Maintenance diagrams & scans are from the Honda maintenance manual?? the Pilot's owner's manual ??

anyway..... I've got all the maintenance pictures, and I've got a new Lens cover on order (thanks to Steve) and headed my way. I'll let y'all know how the repair turns out once all my stuff comes in.

Thanks one & all !

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Thanks for all the info.

dillpickle said:
The Maintenance diagrams & scans are from the Honda maintenance manual?? the Pilot's owner's manual ??

anyway..... I've got all the maintenance pictures, and I've got a new Lens cover on order (thanks to Steve) and headed my way. I'll let y'all know how the repair turns out once all my stuff comes in.

Thanks one & all !
The scans are from the Service Manual, which you can order for $70 plus shipping here.

I get diagrams here. I snagged the url from another post from SteveLuman.:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Thanks for all the info.

dillpickle said:
[ S N I P P E D ]

Thanks one & all !
Another satisfied customer goes away happy and kemosabe's work is done...

...and as the shadows grow longer, the Masked Man rides off into the sunset on his trusty Silver, um, er, Sandstone!!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts