Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My plan is to set the baby car seat in the middle of 2nd row. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly. The anchors in the middle "overlaps" the seatbelt buckle. When the baby seat is installed in the middle, the seat behind driver is useless?

See attached photo. The red zone is where baby car seat will be. The actual baby seat takes more space than the red zone. Once the baby seat is in place, passenger (behind driver) won't be able to access the seatbelt buckle.

Is this how Pilot was designed? Or I misunderstood the manual?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I’ve had no issues using those anchors. Slightly move the seatbelt buckle towards the left window. Just give it a try. It looks as it won’t fit, but I’m 99.99999999% sure it will (depending on your baby seat). The straps and clips (staplers) will have some slack. But make sure to tighten them according to the baby car seat manufacturer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Still useable, the seat belt latch should not be covered by the car seat. Might not be the easiest way to buckle but should still work.

My neighbor had it like that in his 2016 Touring with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
My plan is to set the baby car seat in the middle of 2nd row. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly. The anchors in the middle "overlaps" the seatbelt buckle. When the baby seat is installed in the middle, the seat behind driver is useless?

See attached photo. The red zone is where baby car seat will be. The actual baby seat takes more space than the red zone. Once the baby seat is in place, passenger (behind driver) won't be able to access the seatbelt buckle.

Is this how Pilot was designed? Or I misunderstood the manual?

View attachment 140983
Also if you have any issues setting it up, your local peace officer, firefighter, will be able to assist you if your Honda dealership won’t. I know it’s difficult in these covid times, but any other parent willing to help probably will. Good luck, and congrats on the little one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had no issues using those anchors. Slightly move the seatbelt buckle towards the left window. Just give it a try. It looks as it won’t fit, but I’m 99.99999999% sure it will (depending on your baby seat). The straps and clips (staplers) will have some slack. But make sure to tighten them according to the baby car seat manufacturer.
I'm able to secure the base of baby seat to the anchors. It's nice and tight. It's so tight that I couldn't get the seatbelt buckle out. I'll redo tomorrow. Maybe shift the base a bit toward the passenger side to squeeze more room. Thanks.

Still useable, the seat belt latch should not be covered by the car seat. Might not be the easiest way to buckle but should still work.

My neighbor had it like that in his 2016 Touring with no problems.
Thank you for confirming the seat is usable. I'll make some adjustment tomorrow. Thank you =)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also make sure to put a towel or something underneath the seat. The seat on my last car had permanent indentations from a car seat.
Thank you for the reminder. I got a small but thick bathroom floor mat. It's anti-slip. Should keep the seat fairly secured and protect the leather.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
OP, welcome to one of the complaints in the car seat world about Pilots! Not a new problem and disappointing Honda hasn't still fixed it. To be clear, any use of the seat belt buckle with a car seat installed via the LATCH anchors is not compliant. We moved the car seat when we needed to have someone sit in the outboard seat, it wasn't worth the risk.

I ended up putting a foam seat cushion from Amazon under the car seat. It’s fairly thick and so far has worked to prevent those indentations.
Thank you for the reminder. I got a small but thick bathroom floor mat. It's anti-slip. Should keep the seat fairly secured and protect the leather.
Unless your specific car seat says so those items are not compliant with your car seat and god forbid anything happens they will say you were not installed properly. Not trying to start an argument just stating facts, we stopped using those type of things.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, welcome to one of the complaints in the car seat world about Pilots! Not a new problem and disappointing Honda hasn't still fixed it. To be clear, any use of the seat belt buckle with a car seat installed via the LATCH anchors is not compliant. We moved the car seat when we needed to have someone sit in the outboard seat, it wasn't worth the risk.
Thank you for pointing that out. I do use LATCH. What I meant is once the baby seat is LATCHed at middle spot, the baby seat base will "overlap" the adult seatbelt buckle. My solution is to dig out the buckle before the base is installed. Also, shift the base a bit to the left. Just enough to see the orange button on the buckle.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Thank you for pointing that out. I do use LATCH. What I meant is once the baby seat is LATCHed at middle spot, the baby seat base will "overlap" the adult seatbelt buckle. My solution is to dig out the buckle before the base is installed. Also, shift the base a bit to the left. Just enough to see the orange button on the buckle.
I understand what you are saying. If the belts/buckles/any part of either the seat belt mechanism or the car seat/LATCH mechanism are touching or can easily touch it is not a recommended installation. "They" don't want any of the forces from one to act on the other in the event of a collision or you could exceed the ratings and cause a failure. Car seats are a real fun game to play. We stressed about it for months with my 3 kids in the 2nd row of the Pilot and finally just told my oldest (7, booster/no-back booster depending on vehicle) she's gonna have to climb over and she's in the single seat side of the 3rd row.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand what you are saying. If the belts/buckles/any part of either the seat belt mechanism or the car seat/LATCH mechanism are touching or can easily touch it is not a recommended installation. "They" don't want any of the forces from one to act on the other in the event of a collision or you could exceed the ratings and cause a failure. Car seats are a real fun game to play. We stressed about it for months with my 3 kids in the 2nd row of the Pilot and finally just told my oldest (7, booster/no-back booster depending on vehicle) she's gonna have to climb over and she's in the single seat side of the 3rd row.
You have an excellent point. I've never thought about that. Any loose / moving object may potentially hit the button and unbuckle the seat belt during a crash. I'll need to take a close look at my setup tonight.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
You have an excellent point. I've never thought about that. Any loose / moving object may potentially hit the button and unbuckle the seat belt during a crash. I'll need to take a close look at my setup tonight.
Thank my wife, I'm a little more lax with some of that stuff but she's a real stickler with how everything needs to be installed and fit and all.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Does she climb over the 2nd row or in through the trunk? I find using the single seat in the third row for a third child easiest to keep the 60% third row folded down and have the kid climb in from the trunk on top of it to use the 40% seat in the third row.

The fact that so few automakers allow the second row seats to move with an installed car seat is ridiculous.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The fact that so few automakers allow the second row seats to move with an installed car seat is ridiculous.
The only vehicle that I’ve seen that does is the Infiniti QX60 (JX35/7). The only reason I didn’t purchase that at the time was the CVT Nissan/Infiniti has is so sluggish.

I Love my Pilot

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Does she climb over the 2nd row or in through the trunk? I find using the single seat in the third row for a third child easiest to keep the 60% third row folded down and have the kid climb in from the trunk on top of it to use the 40% seat in the third row.

Both? If we have no reason to open the hatch she climbs over the second row. If the hatch is open she goes in that way.

The only vehicle that I’ve seen that does is the Infiniti QX60 (JX35/7). The only reason I didn’t purchase that at the time was the CVT Nissan/Infiniti has is so sluggish.

I Love my Pilot
I guess Nissan got a patent on the mechanism and nobody has come up with a different way to do it?

Our solution was to buy the Traverse with Captain's chairs. We use it 90% of the time when all 5 of us go somewhere but the Pilot does get the call if we need to carry 7 or 8 people.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts