Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our local dealer wants...

B service $144.95

Sub 1 - included with B service

Sub 6 $119.95

So that’s $264.90 + tax

I’m looking at doing it myself but the B service had a lot of “check/inspect items” and a “service front and rear brakes”.

Should I fork out the $149 for the B service and do the rear differential fluid myself? I don’t mind changing the oil and filter, I’m just wondering about the brake service and all the check/inspect items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the oil change with filter yourself. Then take it to dealer for a complimentary multi-point inspection. BAM all done. Not sure what 6 is. I assume differential fluid? That you can do yourself too.

Got that same bullshhh at dealer and now just do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don’t offer a free inspection on its own. I think the best I could do there is the Sub 1 service ($14.95) which is the rotation and brake inspection which I think should get the rest of the inspection done.

·
Registered
252 Posts
what does "service front and rear brakes" even mean? what exactly will they do?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did it on our Accord, they said they take them apart and clean/lube everything. Maybe something to consider after a Chicago winter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I highly doubt they do all that. Maybe clean it superficially but taking them apart amounts to the time and effort to do a whole brake job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
252 Posts
smh to me it just seems like a line-item added to the list to pad the bill. LIke Dalonsod said, to take it all apart is just as laborious as changing out the pads already.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And probably not even necessary.

On the rear differential do I add fluid until it spills out the fill hole? Looks like 2.25 quarts?

·
Registered
252 Posts
And probably not even necessary.

On the rear differential do I add fluid until it spills out the fill hole? Looks like 2.25 quarts?

yes. then you have to run the engine for a minute or so, then do a top off.

·
Registered
604 Posts

Reactions: dalonsod

·
Registered
882 Posts
Here are several pages on the forum talking about the differential fluid replacement.

Rear Differential Fluid Change

One big thing to note is

DO NOT USE Honda VTM-4 Fluid Part No. 08200-9003 in your 2016+ Honda Pilot or 2017+ Honda Ridgeline. Both the service manuals & actual rear differential case specify Honda Dual Pump Fluid II.

Should be part # 08200-9007. I paid $7.34 a quart with a list price of $14.68 from H and A Accessories. I had about $68.00 of items ordered and shipping was a total of $16.66. Worked out as one of the cheaper places for me to purchase from for all of these items.

I am sure the instructions are the same for the 2016-2020 models. Remove the fill plug FIRST to make sure you can get it off. Don't want to drain it and then find out you can't remove the fill plug!

Also, the "Brake Service" really means clean and lube all surfaces which contact other surfaces. The back of the pad where it sits on the piston, the ears on the pads where they sit inside the pad hardware (ears or clips, what ever you want to call them) and the slide pins. Very important to keep everything working as they should and to prevent either the inside or the outside pad to wear differently.

Living in the north where salt use during the winter can cause some different types of problems, I plan on doing the brake service as Honda suggests. A brake inspection is fine during the oil changes that don't call for it just to make sure things are working well and the pads are within the safe specs.

·
Banned
379 Posts
yes. then you have to run the engine for a minute or so, then do a top off.
How does running the engine affect the rear diff? I saw that the video said that too. How does that purge air? Just curious. Also, where do I find this information? Like what each service entails etc. Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
How does running the engine affect the rear diff? I saw that the video said that too. How does that purge air? Just curious. Also, where do I find this information? Like what each service entails etc. Thanks
Rear diff uses an electric fluid pump. Running the engine, that pump is always on.

Servicing info can be found in here:

Reactions: ls973800
1 - 15 of 15 Posts