Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a solution some of you might be interested in. The picture shows a B-Pillar covered with a 3M polyurethane protective tape. As you can see from the picture, the tape is pretty conformable. I cut the edge of the tape a little longer and slipped it under the weatherstrip giving the tape a much cleaner look. This tape will prevent nicks, scrapes, dents, and scratches on the B-Pillar caused by the seat belt retraction. If you are interested in purchasing this tape, send me a PM or email me at [email protected].

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
What will happen if i remove the tape . Will it attract dirt , end up screwing up the surface . I had a hard time removing some of my dealers stickers .

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Will it dis-color or prevent an even color change if the un-exposed pillar fades, etc?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Response to Questions

The tape will come off easily if you tried to remove it. It will not leave any adhesive residue. But I am not sure what will happen if you tried to remove the tape 5 years from now. The tape is UV resistant so it will not discolor.

If you are still interested, I can send you a small sample. The sample can be used right under the ignition switch to prevent your keys from scratching the dash. Just email your address to me in a private message.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Are you selling pre-cut pieces, or something that we need to cut to fit?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I see that from your picture, you installed the protective film higher than where I have the dings. Mine is in the dark grey part. I know that if I install the film I will not get any more dings, but won't the old ones still show. I guess what I need to find out is a way to repair the old dings before I cover it up. Any suggestions?,

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume everyone was getting the nicks, dents,and scratches on the upper half. That is why I have the tape on the upper pillar.

I have read other posts that Honda will replace the pillar once at no charge. Can anyone verify that?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yes, My dealer said to wait close to the 3 year warranty is up, then he will replace both pillars under warranty! So don't worry to much about the nicks, wait till they get really nasty:eek:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Really

gopilot you are lucky to have that dealer.

I compliant this at the very first service (like 2000 Km), the technian just said I have to be careful when release the belt, although I repeated 2 times that this is the most careful seat-belt release car I ever have.

He just igroned me, what can I do next.

·
Registered
123 Posts
gopilot said:
Yes, My dealer said to wait close to the 3 year warranty is up, then he will replace both pillars under warranty! So don't worry to much about the nicks, wait till they get really nasty:eek:
Well in that case it make sense to ding and dong :D . Honda will take care of it . :2:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re-visiting the B-Pillar problem

I noticed more dings in the B-Pillar in the lower section as 4603pba was saying. So, I added more protective tape. Not really recommending this to anyone. Just wanted to post a picture on how I solved the problem. The 3M protective tape is pretty expensive. It cost about $20. Having the dealership replace the B-Pillar under warranty is free if you can get the dealership to agree to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
Re: Really

PChiu said:

I compliant this at the very first service (like 2000 Km), the technian just said I have to be careful when release the belt, although I repeated 2 times that this is the most careful seat-belt release car I ever have.

By-pass your dealer and phone Honda's customer service line. Explain the situation and tell them that your dealer will not help you. They will open up a "case file" in your name and will either authorize the new parts on the phone (Which has happened to me once) or they will get back to you after they talk to the dealer.

In some cases a letter is necessary but I do not think so in this case.

goodluck

rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
wwong,

I RECIEVED TTHE 3M PROTECTIVE TAPE AND INSTALL IT
TODAY. AFTER THE INSTALL, I DID SOME TEST BY RELEASING THE
THE SET BELT HARD. THE RESULT IS AMAZING I HAVE NO MORE
DINGS.

THANKS WWONG'''''''
I DON`T HAVE TO WAIT FOR MY DEALER TO OK
TO REPLACE IT OR NOT.

H-PILOT : NIGHTBLACKHAWK W/ NAVI. VIN# 567322
FOG LIGHT, STAINLESS SIDE STEP, TAIL LIGHT GRILL, REAR MUD
GUARD, CARGO TRAY, ALL WEATHER FLOR MATS, INFINITY 600cs,
6002i SPEAKERS, ALPINE 5 CHAN. , CROME TAIL PIPE, ROOF RAILS,
SUNROOF COMING SOON.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
gopilot said:
By then your Pilot will have one or more scratches and door dings and we all wwon't be so anal about this stuff!:2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
N_Jay said:

By then your Pilot will have one or more scratches and door dings and we all wwon't be so anal about this stuff!:2:
Truthfully, I wish I was less anal about this stuff - like I'm still really bothered by the whole dead pedal not covered thing. I fear though that, considering the way the nicks have added up over just one year, that the pillar will look so very bad out in the future that I will never get used to it. The dealership has received the replacement pillar cover and I'm taking the Piot in for the fix. The tape will keep me from doing this again, I hope.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Really

PChiu said:

The tech. is a nobody ( in terms of making these kinds of decisions ) , you need to talk to the service advisor and if he is unwilling to help you, ask for the service manager. Its highly unlikely the service advisor will give you any problems though, I'm sure the dealership is well aware of this issue on the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I would bump this thread so new members can view it. If you have dings in the center pillar from the seatbelts, try covering the pillar with this 3M protective tape. I still have a few rolls left for sale. Just send me a PM or email for details.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've gotten so many request for the tape to protect the b-pillar, I decided to make it a precut instead of just selling the roll. This is a two piece set that fits on the lower portion of the pillar. Dry fit the tape over the pillar so you can determine which is tape is for the left pillar and which is for the right pillar.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pull the seat forward and tilt it out of the way. Then sling the seatbelt over the headrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just peel off the white release liner and spray the adhesive and the pillar with water.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts