Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly while driving, turning to be precise, I hear a knocking / tick tick tick from what sounds like front left wheel area. I bring it in and the mechanic says I need front axles. $500 and change. I'd also like to replace the front right lower controller arm while I'm at it (I had the left one replaced a couple of years ago).

I just successfully did my struts and linkages up front and rear shocks. The videos I've watched have made it look pretty straightforward -- but then again they've had a lift for the car. I've got jack stands (and a Minnesota winter, although in high 20s/low30s this week, yes that's mild for us).

My questions to the forum are these:
-- Is axle replacement and controller arm replacement a DIY job?
-- What should I be looking out for once I'm in there?

TIA!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My questions to the forum are these:
-- Is axle replacement and controller arm replacement a DIY job?
Yes 100% they are we have alot of great threads on how to swap out the axles and controller arms.

-- What should I be looking out for once I'm in there?
common sense and safety is key , get your proper torque specs before you do the job ..look also for the full SM on the forums here that helps. Purchase good quality parts a lot of users including had great success with rockauto ..there is even a code to safe a few $$$ still on these forums.

I mostly do 99% on a jack and stands Now I upgraded to steal ramps I have the plastic ones too they work wonders.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'd absolutely DIY either of those.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If you can take the downtime, CVJ Axles in Denver will rebuild the ones you have. Solid work, reasonable cost, probably way better quality than aftermarket and way cheaper than Honda. cvjrman.com.

I used them for another vehicle. I would do it again.

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you can take the downtime, CVJ Axles in Denver will rebuild the ones you have. Solid work, reasonable cost, probably way better quality than aftermarket and way cheaper than Honda. cvjrman.com.

I used them for another vehicle. I would do it again.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
294 Posts
agree very doable - recommend using an impact wrench to remove the axle nuts. I needed to use a slide hammer and chain to pop out the driver side axle (chain wraps around the axle between the transmission and joint. Also, replace the seals while you replace the axles.

i would use either Honda axles or have yours rebuilt as Tacoma mentioned. I have cardone, which are ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts