Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I changed the front driver side axle this morning on my 04 pilot got the axle from rock auto everything seemed ok till I drove the car and all of a sudden my driver side caliper all of a sudden seized and there was smoke coming from my tire it got so hot it melted the valve on the tire so changed that and now still my driver side brakes are still getting hotter than they should not as hot as before but if I stop the car when I get out the highway I can see smoke coming from there so my question is did I get the right axle?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
This is usually when someone will come along and say something to the effect of, "You've got to bang it in all the way." Not sure myself since I've never done it, but that's what I've heard. :)

Either that or, "Did you get an OEM axle?"

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
127 Posts
I recently did a non-oem axle with no issues like this. Did you happen to mess up something with your brakes when doing the replacement?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
So I changed the front driver side axle this morning on my 04 pilot got the axle from rock auto everything seemed ok till I drove the car and all of a sudden my driver side caliper all of a sudden seized and there was smoke coming from my tire it got so hot it melted the valve on the tire so changed that and now still my driver side brakes are still getting hotter than they should not as hot as before but if I stop the car when I get out the highway I can see smoke coming from there so my question is did I get the right axle?
Your brake issue is not likely a result of your cv axle choice. Inspect all of your brake installation steps especially the caliper slide pins. Extreme heat and/or smoke is usually indicative of a frozen caliper.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just changed the frozen caliper so I don’t understand why it’s still giving me problems on that side and everything worked fine before I changed the cv axle

·
Registered
40 Posts
So merely based on speculation that if you did not touch the brakes at all but removed the axle, you must have removed the tie rod from the knuckle and pulled the hub back to get the axle in and out. If you did not remove the caliper from the caliper bracket then you more than likely would have stretched your brake hose with it possibly collapsing internally which could lead to locking up brake or no brakes on the caliper. But you also do state that you changed the frozen caliper which leads me to believe that you either (1. messed up the install (2.have lots of excess air in the system or (3. got a defective caliper especially if is a reman one as that is fairly common. Will need more troubleshooting to figure out exactly what the issue is.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am lead to believe that the axle and the brake issues aren't correlated unless you happened to break the brake hose or got a reman caliper that worked for a short time and froze up (some reman calipers need to be bench bled before putting on the car or they'll go in dry and have friction on the few initial bleeds leading to issues; I skipped that step on a particular branded reman Civic caliper and had it freeze up and was not covered by warranty since I messed up..)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The old caliper froze up and I knew it cause the car didn’t even want to move when I let off the brake this caliper that I just put on from autozone doesn’t do that I can let off the brake and the car will tile without any screeching sound or anything like that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which is why I’m thinking it has to be the axle cause that was the only thing I touched yesterday

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
I can not think of a single reason for a CV axle replacement affecting a caliper. I assume they matched in size?
I'd get another caliper, bleed all the brake lines making sure the whole system has fresh brake fluid. Bleed the brakes in the proper sequence.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can not think of a single reason for a CV axle replacement affecting a caliper. I assume they matched in size?
I'd get another caliper, bleed all the brake lines making sure the whole system has fresh brake fluid. Bleed the brakes in the proper sequence.
I’ll give this a try

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm going with the lining inside the brake line has deteriorated, creating a one-way valve. Manipulating the brake line during the axle replacement accelerated the issue. I'd look into replacing the brake line.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does that tire turn freely when you jack up that wheel or is the brake dragging just sitting there?
^^^^ This

How sure are you that it was a frozen caliper generating the heat? Did you test to see if the pads are dragging? It could be crap bearings, bad gear fitment or lack of lubrication in the CV joint generating the heat and transferring through the hub.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe that Trakmotive axle (part number) is too long. It's listed at 27 15/16, and if you scroll down to the GSP axle listed on the Rock Auto site you'll note that it's only 27 3/4. The extra 3/16 isn't long enough to be noticeable, but that 3/16 is likely enough to cause your outer brake pad to bind with the rotor when in motion.

If in doubt, go to your local NAPA (or other auto parts store) and ask them for the length of the axle for the drive side replacement of your vehicle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you melted the tire valve then the heat is also most likely on the outer pad, not inner - a frozen caliper will 99/100 times affect the inner pad. What do the brake pads look like - are both inner and outer scorched, or just the outer?

I suspect that you wore off so much of the outer brake pad that the friction (between pad and rotor) is noticeably less, which is why you're generating less heat. I would at minimum rip it apart and simply measure/look at the brake pads - if your outer pad is substantially scored and/or thinner than the inner pad, then the length of the axle is your most likely problem.

I also use the KISS principle anytime I fix something and it doesn't work - you changed the axle, first start with the actual axle. Did you compare the new part with the one you replaced?

Oh - and I know about this firsthand - when I replaced my axles, the auto parts store gave me 2 of the same axle. After taking out the passenger side (which is shorter), I realized the axles are different. Went back and got the correct parts - and there are multiple numbers for the driver side, and not all are the correct length!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts