Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a quite a little adventure. And you got to "help out" a buddy with an overheating 4Runner. Geez, I thought those things were supposed to be superior off-road, and that one couldn't even handle the on-road climb.

Keep the trip info coming!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Where's the picture ? Did I miss it ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's pilotdude's Redrock Pilot featured on the home page. Check out the story. It's also posted in the Galley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wait a minute.... If the 4Runner did not make it is only certainly because it was not well maintained.

I currently have a 99 4Runner. It is a working beast, I have put it through much worst situations than a simple road-climb.

I'm currently shopping between a Pilot and another 4Runner. The Pilot has a smooth ride and lots of storage space but is nowhere near the 4Runner in the area of power (despite HP ratings) and rudgness (spelling ??) and 4X4 abilities (no low range on Pilots).

I would be willing anytime to make that same trip they have made in Reverse gear...... :D

Note: I'm not bashing the Pilot, it is a nice and capable vehicle that I am still seriously considering for purchase, but the 4Runner is quite something..... !!!!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I thought I had read that somewhere. Thanks.

tady said:
It's pilotdude's Redrock Pilot featured on the home page. Check out the story. It's also posted in the Galley.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't think there is any question that the 4Runner has more offroad prowess than the Pilot. While the Pilot handles itself very well for a crossover SUV, it's not going to do everything that a true 4WD truck can. However, I think what Pilotdudes story states is that the 4Runner overheated. There are so many possibilities as to why this happened that I won't speculate. Do you know why, Pilotdude?

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Chris I was only reacting from this post from renov8r. He teased me ;)

Geez, I thought those things were supposed to be superior off-road, and that one couldn't even handle the on-road climb.

I'm looking forward to know why the 4Runner overheated. I overheated my Toyota Tercel years ago but that was a bad case of bad maintenance (I learned the hard way to take care of my cars !!!)

Cheers !!!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ah, I see. Yeah, we like to have a bit of fun with "Pilot superiority complex" around here. Just wait until next week when we show the story of a Pilot taking on the Hummer in a tropical rain forest.

Chris

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah its just the Pilot Superiority Complex. The 4-Runner certainly has some maintenance issue (my guess a sometimes-partially opening thermostat) but it works fine in the flatlands of the Bay Area so my buddy hasn't gotten it fixed yet now that it is back to a comuter car. BTW his comeback was he'd rescue me if I got stuck on a speed bump at the local supermarket (a knock on the Pilot's relative lack of clearance). Two very different vehicles, just having fun.

Glad you all are enjoying the picture. Thanks for the comments.
Can't wait for winter and some Lake Tahoe trips in the Pilot. :)

-pilotdude

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Just remember

We Piloters can cross a rock in the center of the road (path) that will take out his differential!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Even Handed

You guys were scaring me for a moment. I appreciate the more even handed approach to Toyota v. Honda as opposed to the fanatical fan approach. I just picked up my Pilot yesterday and it is absolutely GREAT! However, my previous vehicle was a 1994 4Runner and it was a monster 4WD vehicle and never had ANY maintenance issues. I'm a fan of both Honda and Toyota....god bless em..:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts