Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new to this board! Lots of great info around here. I just got a 2016 Pilot EX AWD. I’m planning to get a 14-16’ fishing boat (i think fully loaded with gear would be under 3,000 pounds), and i’m wondering if anyone has had experience with the AWD kicking in on slippery boat ramps? Have you found that SAND mode works best to launch, or normal mode? Have you ever had any problems taking the boat out of the water? What can I expect at the boat launch with my Pilot?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I just use normal mode and haven't had any wheel spin yet but my boat and trailer is under 2000lbs. I think the AWD system will detect wheel spin and activate even in normal mode. In sand mode, it is activated already.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Hey all, new to this board! Lots of great info around here. I just got a 2016 Pilot EX AWD. I’m planning to get a 14-16’ fishing boat (i think fully loaded with gear would be under 3,000 pounds), and i’m wondering if anyone has had experience with the AWD kicking in on slippery boat ramps? Have you found that SAND mode works best to launch, or normal mode? Have you ever had any problems taking the boat out of the water? What can I expect at the boat launch with my Pilot?
The AWD system always launches the vehicle with all 4 wheels receiving some torque and varies it after takeoff based on slip and other parameters. Normal mode should be fine but you may want to use the most aggressive mode for the best results... check out TFL on youtube, they did a roller test of all of the modes on the Pilot to determine which ones were most effective in a zero traction scenario.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do not have experience on boat ramps but I can tell you Sand mode in sand and climbing hills with 3 wheels on the ground, Sand mode will for sure be the most aggressive option. It increases the sensitivity of the gas pedal too. From what I understand, Mud mode is like sand mode but the gas pedal response is muted almost like eco mode in a way. I would not worry either way, I am sure regular mode will do just fine.

Oh, just FYI, I have crossed creeks with water levels covering half my wheels without issues as well.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
578 Posts
The AWD system always launches the vehicle with all 4 wheels receiving some torque and varies it after takeoff based on slip and other parameters. Normal mode should be fine but you may want to use the most aggressive mode for the best results... check out TFL on youtube, they did a roller test of all of the modes on the Pilot to determine which ones were most effective in a zero traction scenario.

Great video.

Sold me on the AWD system of the Pilot and incomparison it puts the Highlander AWD to shame.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts

Great video.

Sold me on the AWD system of the Pilot and incomparison it puts the Highlander AWD to shame.
The old VTM system was one of the best out there, the new i-VTM is about as good as it gets! I've watched most of their slip test videos and the Pilot did better than pretty much all other AWD vehicles.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have a 2017 FWD Pilot and have launched and retrieved my 16 foot boat/trailer over 250 times without any problems at all. The rig weighs 1500lbs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts