Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous three Honda cars avg. fuel meters were right on in their measurement. When I would fuel up it would always be within a half a gallon on of the meter reading. On my 2016 Pilot it has consistently overstated my fuel economy by 2-3 gallons. I use the A meter to track each fill up. Am I thinking this meter works the same as my other Hondas? A 04, a 11 and 19 model years.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Normal, todays Honda's always overstate the mileage. Best to hand calculate for most accurate results.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Same experience here, Avg fuel on the display is always better than actual calculated mpg by about 10%.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Literally the same experience with my 2016 Pilot Touring AWD. 2MPG overstated. It is so consistent that I only manually do the math a couple times a year now because I know it is 2MPG higher on the display than actual.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,267 Posts
This is what I use now to track my mileage. More convenient then pen and paper and I have a good record of all my fill ups. Much more accurate than the vehicles mpg reporting.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Normal, todays Honda's always overstate the mileage. Best to hand calculate for most accurate results.
Not all of today's Honda overindicate fuel economy this much. :)

My 2018 Accord 2.0T's trip computer was accurate to within 0.4% of the manual calculations. You can read about the results of other Honda models I owned here.

My 2019 PCX's trip computer indicated 1.4% higher than the manual calculation.

My 2020 CX-5's trip computer indicates 1.5% lower than the manual calculation.

My 2019 MX-5 Miata's trip computer indicates indicates 1.6% higher than the manual calculation.

My 2017 and 2019 Ridgelines had the least accurate trip computers of any vehicle I've ever owned - both indicated nearly 7% higher than the manual calculation.

This is such an easy thing for Honda to fix - I can't fathom why it still exists five years later.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ours have always been within 1-2 mpg on our Hondas. I don’t trade as often as the previous and now non Honda owning poster, but have had 7 or 8 Honda’s over the last 3 decades. My accord Hybrid usually UNDER estimates mpg by 1-2 so go figure....

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do you guys have that weird thing where it says you get like 15 mpg almost all the time? The only time I can get it past 20 is when I actually drive more than 20 miles. And I'm not a hard driver mind you that. Do I have to change some setting or does the Pilot just have a messed up system? Or does it not give instant fuel economy at all?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
You can just reset it using the button on the steering wheel and it will give you the avg.fuel consumption for the next interval. If you keep the interval short, the avg. will be the same as the mpg you are getting at that instant. It will still read about 10% higher than actual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts