Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite this being the most popular question on this forum (I'd imagine), I still remain a little confused. I've searched the interwebs, Haynes manuals, aftermarket stereo manuals etc high and low but to no avail.

I'd like to use the "Aux" button on my factory stereo to attach an mp3 player (not iPod) to my car's stereo. I've seen a lot of claims that there are 2 RCA inputs on the back of the stereo for this purpose. I haven't been able to confirm this, though. If this is all I need I could just seek out some removal instructions for the stereo and attach a simple y-cord with an 1/8" stereo plug for the mp3 player. Otherwise, I'll probably end up taking it to a shop for them to install any needed harnesses or whatnot.

Can anybody confirm or deny the existence of these mysterious RCA jacks? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Again, my Pilot's setup:
Newly purchased 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L
Factory 6-disc CD changer
NAV
XM radio installed (factory)
NO RES

·
Registered
549 Posts
Go to logjamelectronics.com

Basically what will be used is the interface for a multi-disc CD changer that nearly every Honda radio has. This is a proprietary plug on the back or bottom of the head unit. The module you buy of logjam will help to create an interface with just about anything (iPod, RCA for audio, multiple audio inputs, etc etc).

Right now I'm working on a 3-way input into my 04 Acura TSX using 2 modules from Logjam. I currently just have one module plugged in that allows me to interface the Sirius audio out via RCA. I will be adding a module that has a 3 way switch with 3 RCA inputs and 1 RCA Output. That 1 RCA output will go into the existing module I have thus giving me 3 options. I'm adding an input for my Sandisk Sanza Fuze and may consider headrest video screens so that my son's can watch movies in my car like they can in my wife's 09 Touring.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
To answer your question simply, no, there are no RCA jacks on the back of the radio. You have to come in with an adapter that interfaces with the multi-pin connectors on the back for things like XM and the aux disc changer. It's a PITA.

- Mark

·
Registered
549 Posts
whizmo said:
To answer your question simply, no, there are no RCA jacks on the back of the radio. You have to come in with an adapter that interfaces with the multi-pin connectors on the back for things like XM and the aux disc changer. It's a PITA.

- Mark
There are several makers of the 14-pin interface, logjam has them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whizmo said:

- Mark
Ahhhh thanks for the info. I will have to look up the removal instructions for the stereo a bit later and gauge exactly how much of a PITA it's going to be. If it's a big one I might opt to bring it somewhere for them to chuck one in for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It may mean more than just splicing in a connector input. IIRC, before I installed the electronics, the AUX button did NOTHING. The radio didn't switch from FM to a silent "aux" mode, it didn't respond to the button press at all. So I'm guessing that the radio would probably continue to do nothing, even if a standard signal were spliced in. I hope I'm wrong.

If there were an easy way, someone would have done it by now and it would be the most popular thread on this site.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
here's some info I got butchered for asking :).

There is no aux-female ports on the back of your headunit. There is one for aux-input which you would have to buy an adapter such as one for the ipod. I believe that runs like $130. And no I don't intend to pay that much for an aux-input either.

The other option is IF you have the XM radio preview (press XM button, do you hear anything?) then you can splice into 4 wires to provide aux input.

if you search for my name I asked the exact same question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 pilot has factory RCA jacks on the back of the center console. I have a Y cable to my phone headset jack that breaks out to a red and a white RCA jacks. Then I plug that into a regular DVD type cable and into the RCA jacks on the back of the center console. Now turn on the radio and select AUX and the music plays through the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 pilot has factory RCA jacks on the back of the center console. I have a Y cable to my phone headset jack that breaks out to a red and a white RCA jacks. Then I plug that into a regular DVD type cable and into the RCA jacks on the back of the center console. Now turn on the radio and select AUX and the music plays through the car.
I have an 05 EX-l with the rca's on the back but Im having an issue. When I press dvd/aux it says aux error.

Pls help.

·
Registered
413 Posts
What are you trying to connect there, and what sort of cable are you using? Is it a regular red/white RCA to 3.5mm 3-conductor stereo plug like this:

Or one of those A/V cables (red/white/yellow RCA to 4-conductor plug)

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you trying to connect there, and what sort of cable are you using? Is it a regular red/white RCA to 3.5mm 3-conductor stereo plug like this:

Or one of those A/V cables (red/white/yellow RCA to 4-conductor plug)
It's a standard red white to female 3.5, I do have a Bluetooth receiver in that though could that be the problem?

·
Registered
413 Posts
I looked at the 2005 manual, gotta say it is fairly confusing. Also glanced at 2006-8 service manual, but not a lot there either.
Say, if you turn the RES on, enable rear controls, and connect a source to those RCAs, can you select and play AUX on RES (to the headphones)?

Is RES on or off when you press DVD/AUX on the head unit? Are rear controls on or off? The module linked above is primarily for cars without RES. You should be able to use those inputs...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts