Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you NY/NJ/CT area Pilot owners:

I received this in the mail the other day.

Here is your chance to test drive other cars, and even though it's a GM-sponsored event, we can see how the other trucks drive/feel vs. our Pilots :)

5/29 - 6/1 at Nassau Coliseum

You're invited

Drive what you like from over 100 of the hottest new cars, trucks and SUVs like Cadillac, Saab, Chevy, BMW, Lexus, Nissan, Saturn, Pontiac, Mercedes Benz, Honda, Buick, GMC, Volkswagen, HUMMER, Toyota and Acura.

No pressure. No salespeople. No kidding.

General Motors is inviting consumers in your area to participate in a unique driving experience. It's an opportunity for you and a guest to experience the full range of our vehicles and actually drive them head to head against some of the primary competition. We provide a completely hassle-free environment — all we ask is that you come and drive our new products. We'll even provide refreshments and a kids' activity area if you want to bring the family. Please remember, however, you must present a valid driver's license and be 21 years of age to drive the vehicles.

autoshow in motion

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Got Similar Salespitch

This tactic must be growing in popularity--

Two or three months ago, I received a similar invitation in the mail, not from GM, but from Lexus. Envelope had hand-applied first-class stamp. Printed on fancy, high-quality paper stock, complete with RSVP card with another first-class stamp.

Same kind of thing... come out to a location in Virginia Horse Country to drive luxury SUV's including (along with Lexus) Acura, Mercedes Benz, BMW, Range Rover, etc. No salespeople would be present...a hassle-free environment. Kid's activities would be provided.

When I didn't return the RSVP card, they followed up with a second mailing reminding me that I'd still be welcome to attend.

At the time, I scanned and posted the Lexus materials here on the board, but for some reason can't locate the thread now.

'Course, why Lexus targeted me, especially having just bought a Pilot, is hard to say.....

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Got Similar Salespitch

Ziploc said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

At the time, I scanned and posted the Lexus materials here on the board, but for some reason can't locate the thread now.

'Course, why Lexus targeted me, especially having just bought a Pilot, is hard to say.....
I remember that scanned invitation, Ziploc!!! Darn Search feature isn't working too well right now... :( Looks like the marketing campaign is making it's way up I-95 to New York!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Received invitation too

I got the invitation in the mail from GM also. I registered and if I have nothing better to do next Sunday, I may actually go. If I do, I'll report back.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Received invitation too

krygny said:
I got the invitation in the mail from GM also. I registered and if I have nothing better to do next Sunday, I may actually go. If I do, I'll report back.
krygny: Do you have a digital camera? Take some shots of the competition vehicles, too, if you can (and if you decide to go) and post them up here for us!!! :4: :17:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I think honda (or someone) has been selling our information :3: :3: :3:

I recieved an invitation to a auto survey where I have to choose between various cars and they would pay me $150 for 3 hours of my time....I actually threw that and garbage day was yesterday so guess I cannot scan it here...

I was identified as owner of 2003 honda pilot...which convinces me that honda or honda finance sold the information...:3:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Received invitation too

kemosabe said:

krygny: Do you have a digital camera? Take some shots of the competition vehicles, too, if you can (and if you decide to go) and post them up here for us!!! :4: :17:
Yes I have a digital camera and maybe I'll bring it and take some pics if I decide to go. That's also assuming there's anything interesting to photograph (e.g., the test courses, not the cars).

I'm so not interested in GM vehicles, I didn't visit a single GM dealer during my recent car buying endeavor. I still havn't forgiven them for the horrendous garbage they were selling in the early '80s (e.g., X-body cars).
:16:

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Went today

Went to the Auto Show in Motion today at the Nassau Coliseum, here on Long Island. All in all, I'd say it's worth killing an afternoon. No sales pitches, free parking, and even a free lunch. Not a cent out of pocket. They've added a show in the Boston area, so if you're in the area June 12-15 I't can't hurt to register.

http://www.autoshowinmotion.com/page/registration/index.asp?eventid=1003

The bad news is that it was miserable and rainy most of the day. That's also the good news: the crowds were pretty thin. We waited about 45 minutes to try the H2. If it was a nice day, it probably would've been about 2 hours to drive it over a course that takes about 2 minutes.

They have courses for passenger cars, luxury cars, SUVs, large SUVs, trucks, the Corvette, and the Hummer H2. Everybody wanted to drive the Vette and the H2 (longest lines). They don't allow a passenger with you in the Vette. They send a "Professional Driver" (i.e., baby sitter) with you. In the H2, you can put your family in the back seat but a baby sitter rides in the front to lock and unlock the 4WD.

Even though most of the vehicles are GM, they have competitors' vehicles too. Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, etc. The only Hondas were the Accord (LX) and the Civic. (Probably 'fraidy scared to put a Pilot in the mix.)

Kemosabe asked me to post some pics, but the only one worth it is that of the H2 course below. (I know I've made fun of the pic on the home page being such a long shot; now, I'm guilty too. My digital camera has crummy optics and I couldn't get any closer.) That mound of dirt is a lot steeper than it looks. I would've loved to try it in my Pilot with the VTM-4 locked.

PS: Who dat? My nephew spotted a RRP Pilot EX with New Jersey plates and a hondapilot.org sticker in the parking lot. Hope you had fun, whoever you are.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
ramirami said:
I was identified as owner of 2003 honda pilot...which convinces me that honda or honda finance sold the information...:3: [/B]
Most likely they bought the information from your state DMV or whatever your state calls it...seems that how many states make extra $$$ selling info of who drives what etc...

Another possibility is if you buy a car from a dealer that sells many different makes and models then you get on their mail lists to sell you another brand, model of car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Went today

krygny said:
Went to the Auto Show in Motion today at the Nassau Coliseum, here on Long Island.

(CLIPPED)

PS: Who dat? My nephew spotted a RRP Pilot EX with New Jersey plates and a hondapilot.org sticker in the parking lot. Hope you had fun, whoever you are.
Hi krygny,

That was me (desipilot from NJ) ! Whew, but I missed you(r pilot). Were you parked far away or u didn't come in the pilot ? (Anyway, as far as I looked, didn't see any other pilots in the lot)

Drove pretty much all the (small & medium) SUV's in the show. The only alternative I might have considered before buying Pilot would have been the Toyota Highlander (for its nice interiors !). Otherwise, Pilot beats all others hands (and pants) down ! :2:

(Saturn Vue and Jeep Liberty were total crap ... The Liberty with 250 miles on board was shaking like a boat in the storm !)

All in all it was a nice show (except for the crappy weather !) Worth going.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Went today

desipilot said:

Hi krygny,

That was me (desipilot from NJ) ! Whew, but I missed you(r pilot). Were you parked far away or u didn't come in the pilot ? (Anyway, as far as I looked, didn't see any other pilots in the lot)
We got there about 1PM, parked a few rows out and saw your Pilot on the way in (and on the way out). I didn't see any others either. I guess most Pilot owners just don't need to look any further.:D

I think it's a good promotion for GM to hold events like this. I also like the idea of their 24-hour test drive. I hope other car makers will start doing the same things. I haven't driven a GM car in years and I was only mildly impressed with the overall improvement in quality, but not enough to make me consider one.

Apparently they're in the midst of a major PR campaign. They've taken out full page ads of contrition in the local paper, basically admitting they made such lousy cars in the '80s, and claiming better quality now. For me, they're going to have to reestablish a "history" before I'd go back.

I drove at least one vehicle at each of the pavilions, except for the Vette. I guess the high point was the H2. I wouldn't buy one because I don't want or need a true off-road vehicle, but I have to admit it was pretty cool. I just kept hearing this song in my head (from a Simpson's episode):

<i>Canyonero

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
Smells like a steak, and seats thirty five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Hey, hey!

Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
Sixty five tons of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams
She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine
Canyonero! Canyonero! Canyonero!
Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!</i>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts