Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine took his Acura Integra for a service and was talking about the Honda Pilot as i just got one and he talked about a automatic transmission issue where the it seems to decides to shift
into second gear while at crusing speed, this could be an issue if you ask me.

Has anyone seen this or heard anything about it? My wife drives it 99% of the time so i want to make sure i have checked into this.
I will do more searching on these issues on this site but i wanted to pass these along and see if anyone has had these issues.

Thanks,

Jeremy.

Here is the only Recall i found to date:

02-055 AUG 02 Recall - Water Pump Replacement

Here is a list of TSB that i found (could not get all the details YET):

00-049 APR 03
Antitheft System - Type 2 System Operation/Programming

98-011 APR 03
Keyless Entry - Transmitter ID/Programming

03-020 MAR 03
Engine Controls/Emissions - OBD II DTC's & Monitors

02-045 OCT 02
Body/Suspension - Creaking/Ticking Noises

02-060 OCT 02
Instruments - Navigation Screen Reverses Color

02-059 OCT 02
Interior - Side-to-Side Looseness in Driver's Power Seat

01-009 SEP 02
Engine - Cylinder Block Oil Leaks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Most electronically controlled trannies will go to a 'default gear' when the ECU detects a 'fatal error', or really confusing sensor signals. On most, the default is second, which can present a problem if cruising at highway speeds. A number of folks on the Acura boards have reported tranny self-destruct and control problems when that happened. In most of the cases, there was prior indication of tranny malfunction, indicated by the "Check Engine" light or flashing shift indicator. For this and some other set of reports, Honda has extended tranny warranties to 7 years/100K miles

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, nice to have a clear understanding of the details. My friend said it was a mix of the Pilot, MDX & some 99+ accords with the V6 i think.

We added the extra warranty on the Pilot anyway to 7 years, 100K miles as we plan on having this car a while.

Thanks again.

On another note, maybe Honda should make the default 3rd to be safe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Extended Warranty on Trans.

dgipalo said:
Most electronically controlled trannies will go to a 'default gear' when the ECU detects a 'fatal error', or really confusing sensor signals. On most, the default is second, which can present a problem if cruising at highway speeds. A number of folks on the Acura boards have reported tranny self-destruct and control problems when that happened. In most of the cases, there was prior indication of tranny malfunction, indicated by the "Check Engine" light or flashing shift indicator. For this and some other set of reports, Honda has extended tranny warranties to 7 years/100K miles
Just curious, where did you see the info on Honda extending the waaranty on the transmission ??

thx

·
Registered
422 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty on Trans.

jjgardner3 said:
Just curious, where did you see the info on Honda extending the waaranty on the transmission ??

thx
As far as I know, there is no Honda warranty extension on Pilot transmissions. The extended warranty applies only to certain Acura models. A good thing to do is to register with the Honda/Acura Owner Link, and they will keep you current as to which recalls apply to your specific automobile. The URL is:

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com

Larry

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty on Trans.

jjgardner3 said:

thx
I got a letter from Honda notifying the warranty extension on my 99 Odyssey. It has a 4 speed automatic, and so far has worked just fine with 50K+ miles on it. The fluid was changed at 30K miles and will be changed again at 60K.

The 03's trannies haven't been included in this program; it was for 99-01 for the 4 speed automatic, and some of the 5 speed units from the TL and maybe some from the MDX; don't know that for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts