Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

Registered
MtMan, can you post the rest of the circuit diagram for the 2017 that shows how the in-dash auto start/stop LED (amber vs green vs off) works? Any way we can easily clip/modify a wire to make that thing always off (or maybe just only green would work)? Sure would be nice to turn off that pesky amber LED when the system is switched off..

EDIT: Signed up for Honda ServiceExpress tonight and looked at the 2017 wiring diagram . Looks like there isn't a separate external wire just for the amber LED - the Gauge Control Module (i.e. the whole gauge cluster) controls it internally via an internal microprocessor. GCM would have to be removed, disassembled, and modified (probably could just desolder the amber LED from the PCB inside). Probably not for the faint of heart - I'd be concerned there might be some protections in place to avoid tampering with the odometer ....

Maybe someday I'll pick up a scrap gauge cluster and tear it apart...

Registered
Actually I like seeing the amber light come on each time my device kicks in and disables the auto stop/start feature. That way I know I don't ever have to worry my engine will die in traffic and my a/c stop cooling. I hear a lot of cars are coming out with this annoyance, bur some are on the dash and hard to get to the button to install the fix. At least Honda makes it relatively simple with only 2 screws and 3 wires!

Registered
Just wanted to post that I did the mod as chipworkz described to my 2017 Elite and it works great. Thanks for the detailed writeup!

My comments:
1) To anyone nervous about popping the shifter surround / trim cover, don't be. It comes out very, very, easily with only 2 screws and installs back in easily as well.
2) My ebay box for the FRM01 circuit board didn't come with any screws to hold the box together - I simply zip tied it shut using the same zip tie as used to go around the wire harness. I mounted my FRM01-in-a-box in the same spot as chipworkz.
3) I found that doubling up the 18 AWG wire and trying to shove that bare wire into the factory harness "piggyback" style was too thick - I went with just a single thickness of 18AWG and it seems secure enough. I zip tied the piggy-backed wires down pretty well nearby so they shouldn't go far. I figure if it falls out the worst that will happen is the 1A fuse blows, and will probably notice the auto stop/start disable isn't working before that happens.
4) I'm also happy to report the mod works fine with remote start (I was skeptical) - the auto engine off stays disengaged even after remote starting, then jumping in the car and hitting "start" button (i.e. you don't have to manually hit the button in that instance, it works as you'd like it to).

Registered
So sorry I am dense. Does this mod just basically automatically "press the switch" every time the car is turned on to deactivate the auto stop? But the dash light still goes on yes? So this just replaces having to press the switch manually?

Registered
So sorry I am dense. Does this mod just basically automatically "press the switch" every time the car is turned on to deactivate the auto stop? But the dash light still goes on yes? So this just replaces having to press the switch manually?
Correct, just presses the button for you 5 seconds after you start the car. Still have the amber light on in the dash - no good way to get rid of that without removing and disassembling the gauge cluster (no thanks). I thought about putting a piece of black tape over the amber light, heh.

Registered
First, I want to thank chipworkz from the bottom of my heart for posting this. Second, I can confirm for anyone 2019+ that I have a 2019 Elite and you can indeed use the 12v on the console acc (MtMan's diagram is absolutely correct- thank you also for posting that. For everyone that hasn't done this yet, the brown wire is located on the bottom of the console- not to be confused with the brown wire going to the transmission shifter) I have included pics of mine. To answer another persons post, the wireless charging pad just pops out the same as the regular rubber mat, it just has a cable attached to it..

Third, I want to send a f*k you to Honda for making me get to the point that I had to put a timed relay in my car just to disable that stupid f***ing idle stop. Not only is it annoying out of a red light, but you can't have this crap living in Florida.. It got to the point that every time it stopped and my A/C temperature dropped, I wanted to drive directly to the f***ing dealer and trade it. Yes, I know that you could just press the button every single time you start the car to disable it- but much more often than not, I forgot to press it and was only reminded it existed again when the engine shut off like a mother f***ing gnat flying in my face. OK, rant over. Thank you all again that helped make this mod and took the time to post it.

Attachments

Registered
Third, I want to send a f*k you to Honda for making me get to the point that I had to put a timed relay in my car just to disable that stupid f***ing idle stop.
Agree 100%. Would have thought it would be an on/off switch (not a button to "request" it on each startup), or a software configurable thing in the infotainment system's menus (just like the choice to move the power seat back when exiting the car). And the stupid bright amber light when it is off ... why? It's not a "fault" when auto on/off is disabled, why a warning light that this "feature" is turned off?

I almost wonder if Honda was forced to make this a pushbutton "request to turn off on each start, with warning light" thing to appease US government fuel economy / MPG standards, or something. i.e. it had to be "enabled by default" on each startup in order for Honda to take credit for any fuel savings it might provide and put that on their MPG sticker.

Registered
Agree 100%. Would have thought it would be an on/off switch (not a button to "request" it on each startup), or a software configurable thing in the infotainment system's menus (just like the choice to move the power seat back when exiting the car). And the stupid bright amber light when it is off ... why? It's not a "fault" when auto on/off is disabled, why a warning light that this "feature" is turned off?

I almost wonder if Honda was forced to make this a pushbutton "request to turn off on each start, with warning light" thing to appease US government fuel economy / MPG standards, or something. i.e. it had to be "enabled by default" on each startup in order for Honda to take credit for any fuel savings it might provide and put that on their MPG sticker.
Your "almost wonder" is correct

Registered
Interestingly I am sitting right now in a BMW X3 rental car and it has the auto off button up by the red engine start button. The nice thing is when you press the auto off button to deactivate it, there is just a small Amber light that illuminates right there on that switch and nothing illuminates on the dash gauge cluster. Very low key. I wish Honda would do that. Have the switch itself have a little light but keep it off the dashboard cluster

Registered
Interestingly I am sitting right now in a BMW X3 rental car and it has the auto off button up by the red engine start button. The nice thing is when you press the auto off button to deactivate it, there is just a small Amber light that illuminates right there on that switch and nothing illuminates on the dash gauge cluster. Very low key. I wish Honda would do that. Have the switch itself have a little light but keep it off the dashboard cluster
Does the BMW's system also default to "auto off enabled" with no option for it to default to "auto off disabled"?

Registered
Does the BMW's system also default to "auto off enabled" with no option for it to default to "auto off disabled"?
I believe every time you start the car then the auto off is enabled. We know that will be the case so the mfrs can claim the better gas mileage. Point is, it is just a very inconspicuous Amber light on the button vs a dash light. If I had to press the switch every startup I would, but it is a dash warning light that is annoying

Registered
So did it work on the 2019 model?
I can confirm I installed on my 鈥19 Elite successfully. The only difference from chipworkz original post is that the 12v power must come from a different source, as honda changed voltage in the harness going to the idle switch. See my post a few conversations up, I posted a pic of the harness in the console that you can feed from.

I can also confirm that this is worth the time an effort. There were many times I forgot to manually hit the button, got annoyed by the idle stop, then found myself scouring the message boards and internet for a solution as soon as I stepped out of the SUV. Since installing the relay, I have not once been frustrated by that lousy garbage.

The dash light does still suck, but I can ignore that easier until another method arises to modify the ECU or trick the car into disabling idle stop permanently.

Registered
When BMW first introduced Auto Start Stop, it would default to "enabled" every time the vehicle was started, but could be temporarily disabled by pushing a button. In 2012, BMW authorized dealers to recode a vehicle at the owner's request so that the ASS system would retain the last setting. Some models were even coded at the factory to retain the last setting. In 2018, BMW deauthorized this practice, although third parties can still code the vehicles to disable ASS. There is discussion that BMW may be eliminating the button that disables ASS.

Registered
Here is an option I come up with for the 2019+ Pilot. Get the +12 volts off of the Console Accessory Power Socket which is a brown wire. That voltage should be switched and not a constant 12 volts. Your ground (black) and yellow (start/stop) wires are fine. Including the modified circuit drawing, and console socket wiring. Good luck.

View attachment 133702
I have a 2019 Passport Elite and this is the diagram you need to go by. I got mine working 2/13/2020 and am very satisfied. IT WORKS!!! It seems that most (all) of the newer cars and going to the Auto Idle Stop systems.

Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTL-E
Thanks to Chipworkz for all the ground work and Mt Man for confirming the wiring on the 2020 Ridgeline before I pulled the console (it is the 'older' harness with the powered green wire in pin 1). Super easy as noted by most. I hooked the switch up to a small 12 volt battery to pre-program it on the workbench. Made it easier and you can just watch the display and listen for the clicks to confirm proper programming.

I just zip tied the switch next to the plug/harness for the auto stop switch. I did use the doubling up of the 18 gauge wire to insert into the harness but I found that tinning the wire tips with solder made them an even more secure fit. I also used a mini (ATM) fuse holder to make it even more compact. It came with 16 gauge on the fuse holder but that still inserted fine into the back of the harness.

I had ATM fuses (used a 2 amp as I didn't have a 1 amp) and lots of good 18 gauge wire, so I just needed to buy a switch (total cost with tax $9.78 on eBay) and the fuse holder (at NAPA for a total cost with tax of $4.01). So job was done for $13.79 total expense.

NB

NAPA
Fuse Holder, ATM Type w/ Cover
Part # BK 7825332
Qty: 1
$3.69

21 - 37 of 37 Posts