Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can get genuine atf 08200-9008 but bottled for Acura versus the typical genuine Honda bottles cheaper. Is there any difference between the two...Anyone ever use the Acura version?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I would not trust an online purchase if it's not from a dealership. It could be old stock or counterfeit.
My recommendation would also be to use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It's a better quality fluid. Wal-Mart has the best price and they ship for free.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not trust an online purchase if it's not from a dealership. It could be old stock or counterfeit.
My recommendation would also be to use Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. It's a better quality fluid. Wal-Mart has the best price and they ship for free.
what makes Max a better quality than oem....that it's fully synthetic?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
what makes Max a better quality than oem....that it's fully synthetic?
Certainly "full synthetic" versus a blend would be a very good indicator of quality. This makes Valvoline MaxLife ATF more resistant to extreme temperature problems. It flows better in the extreme cold and it is less susceptible to thermal breakdown in the extreme heat. It has been reported that when some switched to VML, their transmission temperatures were lower. That is a huge benefit, since heat is a killer of transmissions. MaxLife has proven time and again to revive an old transmission with shifting issues. While some remain on factory fluid and have had to replace shift solenoids, I have a 2012 5-speed with 263k miles that has never had any transmission problems. It was switched to VML at around 100k. IMO, another good reason is because our transmissions are equipped with an un-replacable filter. VML will flow through the old filter more easily.
Many on the forum are believers in this fluid.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
It helps resuscitate the abused transmissions in the Copart wrecks that @Nail Grease buys and puts back on the road.
My 2012 Crosstour with 263k miles was bought new. So I'm not biased about not having DW-1 in any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Just use maxlife aft.
I beg to differ. Use VTM-4 fluid aft.

Use Maxlife ATF more toward the front, specifically in your transmission. :)

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I beg to differ. Use VTM-4 fluid aft.

Use Maxlife ATF more toward the front, specifically in your transmission. :)
ATF = Automatic Transmission Fluid
Just in case it needs explanation. But ya.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
My 2012 Crosstour with 263k miles was bought new. So I'm not biased about not having DW-1 in any of my vehicles.
It's a Piloteers forum, yet someone keeps bringing up the Accord Crosstour.
Does that ever happen in the Accord Crosstour forum?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
It's a Piloteers forum, yet someone keeps bringing up the Accord Crosstour.
Does that ever happen in the Accord Crosstour forum?
So much under the hood is the same.
Honda V6 with a 5-speed transmission. Want to compare engine and transmission parts list?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Go ahead, but only after you first compare the rear differentials.
Even more the reason to get off DW-1 and on to Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. More load, more heat, more need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts