Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I can tell by a search that ASS (an apt acronym if ever there was one) is largely disliked and for multiple and very good reasons. I myself really like it...in theory. My wife hates it and has been disabling it religiously for years-we've had ours since 2016. I'm not as good about disabling it because I like it-in theory-and want to use it for the good things it does.

It has started failing on me and not in the 'it doesn't stop my car' way, but in the 'stops and then melts down and refuses to restart' way. I have had the battery load tested and it's good. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce, but they load tested the battery several times and it always tests fine. That said, it's a 4 year old battery and probably time for a replacement.

The DTCs were clear, but there was a single stall code that occurred due to a low voltage instance (11.2v), but this was not associated with ASS, but on a failure-to-start a few weeks ago. My battery load test and the subsequent ones the dealer did have all come after this no-start incident.

I'm looking for two things here:

1- Do you have similar issues not tied to obvious battery failure? The dealer couldn't even justify recommending the battery replacement, though it's all they could collectively come up with as a "fix". If you have a similar experience, I'd like to know, because I want to reach out to Honda about this issue. The dealer worked with

2- Are there any decent aftermarket replacements for Honda's form factor of battery? With our second-gen Pilot we had a helluva time finding one that fit, and I just want a good quality and properly-fitting battery that won't cost the $250 from the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
Well If you have the Idle Stop System in you pilot one would have to think that you vehicle is equipped with an AGM battery. If so you need to replace it with and AGM and you can expect to pay in the $200 range for that battery. They are designed for the loads that modern cars put on the system. They also charge differently than the older flood batteries. As for choice of battery, if you don't want Honda then you might look at an Optima, the Odyssey or a Northstar batteries. They are all going to be in the $250 range. You may actually find that Honda's 100month AGM is cheaper then other quality AGM batteries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well If you have the Idle Stop System in you pilot one would have to think that you vehicle is equipped with an AGM battery. If so you need to replace it with and AGM and you can expect to pay in the $200 range for that battery. They are designed for the loads that modern cars put on the system. They also charge differently than the older flood batteries. As for choice of battery, if you don't want Honda then you might look at an Optima, the Odyssey or a Northstar batteries. They are all going to be in the $250 range. You may actually find that Honda's 100month AGM is cheaper then other quality AGM batteries.
Is the battery truly a 100 month battery? If so, I'm well under that and shouldn't there be a warranty?

Thanks for the info. If there is a spec I should stick to and it has a certain price point, I'm fine with it-I just don't usually pay the dealer to do work that an hour or three of my own would pay for.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,283 Posts
3 year 100% prorated after that.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I wouldn't begin to try and speculate or try to diagnose anything without a fresh battery. Crazy stuff starts happening when your battery is failing.
Just as a precaution..., my aftermarket Bosh battery post(s) were about 3/16 of an inch shorter than OEM. This made it impossible to tighten the battery terminal (specifically the positive side) securely to the post. Inspect this after installation if someone else is doing the work or let them know up front. I modified my box, but battery post shims would probably be a better option.

Reactions: GaWd
1 - 5 of 5 Posts