Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'd come to appreciate the autolock feature our minivan (history) and station wagon have.

The minivan would lock at 14 mph, the wagon when you take your foot off the brake in gear. A nice feature and reassurance for my wife against the potential car-jacker. (A woman was dragged to her death during a carjacking in our town a few years back - the first nationally-prominent car jacking that I can remember). Is this another de-contented feature that the MDX has?

Also, why does the power window lock disable the driver's controls for the other three windows? 'Ever compete to put the window up with an 8-year-old who's Gameboy savvy?!

·
Registered
176 Posts
MDX is the same...

...at least in regard to not having auto-lock. About 45% of responders DO NOT want that feature, about 40% think it is nice, and about 15% have no preference.

Don't want to continue the debate, just sending info...

I agree that the "disable windows" features sound disable the switches on the windows and leave"the Capt'n" in charge. Seems like they messed that up...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I mentioned this same thing in another thread and there were several people who were stoutly against it. I'm not sure why. I guess some people don't like feeling safe in their vehicle. The Auto Door lock is a very useful security feature. And as this is primarily a family vehicle, safety and security should be #1 priority.

My wife's Olds Alero has programmable auto door locks that includes multiple configurations, including one that diables the feature. If Honda had something similar, it would satisfy everone. I have never been put out by how the locks work on our olds. As I said, they are programmable, but here is how we have ours configured: Doors auto lock when car is started and gear is moved out of park, doors can be opened from the inside even when locked, doors auto-unlock when gear is in park and car is turned off.

The only thing affected is entry into the vehicle while the vehicle is in gear or when you put it back in park without shutting off the engine, which means that someone better be behind the wheel. If there is someone you want to be able to get into your car in one of these situations, press the unlock button and they can get in. It isn't hard.

Since it is a very useful safety feature , it should be there. And those that don't want the extra added safety should be able to disable it. Funny, that nobody gripes about the air bag. That is a forced safety feature that you can't disable.

I don't want, nor do I use the cruise, but at I can understand that others want it and use it, and it is no skin off my nose if they put that feature on. Besides, that feature is desired by many others and it will help me sell it when I am ready to move on to my next vehicle. The fact that the Pilot came with Cruise didn't affect my purchase decision at all. And I wouldn't wish that it weren't there just because I don't like it, because I know that there are many that do.

·
Registered
509 Posts
r_hammel said:
I mentioned this same thing in another thread and there were several people who were stoutly against it. I'm not sure why. I guess some people don't like feeling safe in their vehicle. The Auto Door lock is a very useful security feature. And as this is primarily a family vehicle, safety and security should be #1 priority.

My wife's Olds Alero has programmable auto door locks that includes multiple configurations, including one that diables the feature. If Honda had something similar, it would satisfy everone. I have never been put out by how the locks work on our olds. As I said, they are programmable, but here is how we have ours configured: Doors auto lock when car is started and gear is moved out of park, doors can be opened from the inside even when locked, doors auto-unlock when gear is in park and car is turned off.

The only thing affected is entry into the vehicle while the vehicle is in gear or when you put it back in park without shutting off the engine, which means that someone better be behind the wheel. If there is someone you want to be able to get into your car in one of these situations, press the unlock button and they can get in. It isn't hard.

Since it is a very useful safety feature , it should be there. And those that don't want the extra added safety should be able to disable it. Funny, that nobody gripes about the air bag. That is a forced safety feature that you can't disable.

I don't want, nor do I use the cruise, but at I can understand that others want it and use it, and it is no skin off my nose if they put that feature on. Besides, that feature is desired by many others and it will help me sell it when I am ready to move on to my next vehicle. The fact that the Pilot came with Cruise didn't affect my purchase decision at all. And I wouldn't wish that it weren't there just because I don't like it, because I know that there are many that do.
I'll agree on this point. For instance the Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition that we test drove, had the ability to enable or disable the auto door locks through the trip computer, thus keeping everyone happy!:p

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why LX but not EX?

I think I recall reading that the security system DIO available for the LX (only) offers the auto-locking feature, as well as several other features not offered in the EX.

I wonder why Honda skimped on the features of the EX security system, even to the point where the more-complete DIO add-on is apparently not even available for the EX? :8:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Why LX but not EX?

I guess it's kind'a like getting 1/2 a cargo net.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Auto Lock/Window Lock Out

Have auto lock on the Mountaineer, and agree it is worthwhile. Locking the '97 CRV manually was automatic to me, but I seem to forget from time to time on the Pilot. [Seems to me the CRV had a lever versus a toggle button.] Then again, I understand some folks feel more comfortable with unlocked doors in case of an accident . . .

This is the first vehicle I've had that would disable the driver's ability to use other three windows also with window lock out. Doesn't make sense to me either, but I agree this vehicle has so many nice touches that the nits are just that, simply things I would have done slightly different had I had the choice.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I remember having this feature once on a rental. Hated it. Had people with me and was dropping them off at the airport. Unlock the doors, oops need to pull forward, doors locked again, cant' get out!, unlock doors. Yuck!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Auto locking is great (IMO). It does depend on how it's implemented though. My Mountaineer Locked after shifting through reverse and releasing the brakes. Also when releasing the brakes after a door had opened. It could be really annoying in parking lots when dropping someone off for an errand and having to move.

Chrysler (in 94) had autolocks lock above 12mph (this worked fine).

Many car companies are removing it from their offerings. There must have been some real problems.

My daughters last car had it's aftermarket keyless entry/alarm (Clifford) malfunction. It kept locking and unlocking the doors until the rear locks failed and then the battery died. What a great feature.

I feel there are enough extra features in the Pilot to make up for the ones they left out. IE: speed sensing delay wipers, AC that puts on recirc to cool it down fast

·
Registered
34 Posts
our passat had it. i think i can enable it on my audi if i want, in addition to auto unlock when you take the key out of the ignition.

i fall into the category of not really caring either way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts