Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we just picked earlier this week up our new 2021 Honda AWD special edition pilot with heated steering wheel add. It has been 4 days and we have yet to have our auto idle stop feature work/activate. We called dealer and dealer said “wait for a bit until car calms down after recent steering wheel heater add predelivery..and let’s take a look after”.

any advice? Is this a common issue?

Below is some additional info.
  • we live in northern state WI..currently cold
  • have read through when auto idle stop feature activates and does not...it seems like it should have functioned by now Based on criteria in the manual.
-my parents just purchased a new Honda CRV exl and their auto idle shut off feature works as expected..

thanks in advance...chuck

·
Registered
545 Posts
There is literally 4 pages of parameters that have to be met before it will work. 2 big ones are, driver's seat belt must be buckled and the interior heat load requirements. It's much harder to get the idle stop to engage during cold weather.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding... yes I saw the requirements. We are just puzzled that it works flawlessly with my parents new Honda crv that I drove them home from dealership in prior to xmas ...and then we take delivery of ours and have driven it 50 miles over last 4 days and not once? Just seems odd..

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
If I planned on keeping a vehicle equipped with Idle Stop past the warranty, I'd disable it anyway. It's very hard on your vehicles components. Battery, Starter, Alternator etc. Any money you saved in fuel will be lost and then some in additional repairs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
friend of mine who works for Honda (years ago) mentioned that stop start vehicles all come equipped with beefier components to deal with the stop and start features (alternators..etc). so basically just do the wait and see approach as I am reading the comments..?

·
Registered
545 Posts
If there is a problem with the auto stop it will set dtc(s). We have almost zero issues with the system, I'm 99.9% sure one of the parameters needed to engage it aren't being met.
As far a upgraded parts, only the battery is different so far.

·
Registered
813 Posts
friend of mine who works for Honda (years ago) mentioned that stop start vehicles all come equipped with beefier components to deal with the stop and start features (alternators..etc). so basically just do the wait and see approach as I am reading the comments..?
Even if it has better components, it's still going to last longer if you leave it off. It doesn't hurt to leave it on every once in a while to see if the car is working properly, which is what I do occasionally.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if it has better components, it's still going to last longer if you leave it off. It doesn't hurt to leave it on every once in a while to see if the car is working properly, which is what I do occasionally.
Agree.. we just have not had it engage yet and wondered if others have experienced the same.

sounds like most don’t really like the feature... or are not experiencing what we have

·
Registered
586 Posts
Any Honda with idle stop has a predetermined number of starts, then it set dtcs for starter replacement.
Thats insane! Had no idea. So basically after a set number it’s asking for new parts. Crazy! And it’s an $850 starter!!!

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue here, I had been under the hood with the car off. I found that by starting the car, popping the hood and closing it with the car running did the trick for me. Also be sure the defrost setting is off. Good luck!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Wow so Honda is really proud of their starters, all OEM:

Pilot Elite - $850
Mazda CX-9 - $150
Mercedes GLE400 - $500
Audi Q7 3.0 - $150 reman / $300 new
My 330i - $300
Kia Telluride - $350
Toyota Highlander - $150

Wonder what Honda puts in those things...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Same issue here, I had been under the hood with the car off. I found that by starting the car, popping the hood and closing it with the car running did the trick for me. Also be sure the defrost setting is off. Good luck!
ok thanks so u are seeing same issue I am. i bet with the dealership folks installing the new steering wheel heater add on before delivery may have done it (as I am sure they were under hood and unhooked battery).

will give your trick a try. Sounds like best solution is to turn feature off And just test once in a while?

I bet 2022s will have many of these issues addresses.. glad they discounted the heck out of 2021s so I could spring for 100k warranty.. that said we always have had great luck with Hondas

this site rocks. Much appreciate responses

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Wow so Honda is really proud of their starters, all OEM:

Pilot Elite - $850
Mazda CX-9 - $150
Mercedes GLE400 - $500
Audi Q7 3.0 - $150 reman / $300 new
My 330i - $300
Kia Telluride - $350
Toyota Highlander - $150

Wonder what Honda puts in those things...
I feel there is a safety concern using this feature too. I also don't believe you would save $850 to pay for a new starter. I'd do this if I had idle stop start feature on my Pilot.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
8 Posts
ok thanks so u are seeing same issue I am. i bet with the dealership folks installing the new steering wheel heater add on before delivery may have done it (as I am sure they were under hood and unhooked battery).

will give your trick a try. Sounds like best solution is to turn feature off And just test once in a while?

I bet 2022s will have many of these issues addresses.. glad they discounted the heck out of 2021s so I could spring for 100k warranty.. that said we always have had great luck with Hondas

this site rocks. Much appreciate responses
Interesting, we also had the HSW installed. Ours worked after taking it home, but noticed after I was looking around under the hood it had stopped. Not sure maybe a sensor didnt register the hood being closed, just a terrible guess. But mine worked after a quick open and close.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Depending on model, its 250k to 275k starts, probably not a big deal unless your in major stop and go traffic daily.
Yeah, that is a ton of starts. Still can’t understand the pricing - most expensive starter I’ve found without looking at exotics.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Anything Honda electrical seems to be high, but on the flip, they don't fail all that often.
We know Honda has equipped these vehicles with this feature to boost their fuel economy numbers. It is not in the consumers best interest to use it. Especially if they plan to drive the vehicle past the warranty period.

Reactions: SgtVic

·
Registered
813 Posts
Not only does this cause more wear on the starter, but it also will drain your battery faster, obviously. Pilot batteries are not cheap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts