Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 EX-L and finally figured out the three things I had to do to get Auto High Beams to activate:
  • Hold the lever back for 30 seconds to turn on system. Someone at the factory or dealer or wife must have done the 40 second procedure to turn it off. This is a one-time thing.
  • Use the Auto headlight setting
  • If it's dark then the A symbol appears on dash. If not, briefly pull your lever towards you to activate it. This is a toggle. This is the part I didn't know.
After I did all that I was so happy that it started working. Then the problems start. I live in a rural area and my (dark in winter) commute is 20 miles single lane and 10 miles divided highway. The auto high beams work properly 90% of the time. But the failures are annoying to me and others on the road:
  • Most common failure: oncoming car just passed and auto high beams think they should turn on, but next oncoming care is just beyond the threshold. The high beams turn on and 1/2 second later they turn off. The other driver thinks I flashed them and flashes me back. This happens at least once per day.
  • Next failure scenario is that the high beams don't switch off for an oncoming car for unexplained reasons. Then I'm scrambling for one of the multiple ways to turn them off.
  • Bright reflective signs can cause it to switch to low beams
  • Today was the last straw. On the divided highway, a car passed me on the left and high beams turned off (as they should), but as we went around a left turn with the other car 50 feet ahead of me (him left lane, me right lane), the auto high beams triggered and lit up the interior of his car. I suppose he was just to the left of the Pilot's camera window.
So I'm going back to turning off the system with the 40 second hold the lever thing. 90% isn't good enough. I can do 100%, of course.

Y'all probably knew all this already.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
I've driven two vehicles with this system, a 2016 X1 and a 2020 Sierra. There have definitely been improvements over the years but I still don't like it and prefer to activate them myself. The most annoying thing with the GMC is that if you have auto high beams selected you can't use the fog lights. And vice versa. It is the most asinine thing and I will never understand how they thought that was an intelligent decision.

End of the day, I categorize this with lane keeping and auto wipers. I prefer to do it myself and will not buy a vehicle where I can't disable these systems.

Reactions: Aviator6

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yep, this is my 3rd vehicle with this "feature". They all had their faults & I'll just manually control my headlights.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I have a 2019 EX-L and finally figured out the three things I had to do to get Auto High Beams to activate:
  • Hold the lever back for 30 seconds to turn on system. Someone at the factory or dealer or wife must have done the 40 second procedure to turn it off. This is a one-time thing.
  • Use the Auto headlight setting
  • If it's dark then the A symbol appears on dash. If not, briefly pull your lever towards you to activate it. This is a toggle. This is the part I didn't know.
After I did all that I was so happy that it started working. Then the problems start. I live in a rural area and my (dark in winter) commute is 20 miles single lane and 10 miles divided highway. The auto high beams work properly 90% of the time. But the failures are annoying to me and others on the road:
  • Most common failure: oncoming car just passed and auto high beams think they should turn on, but next oncoming care is just beyond the threshold. The high beams turn on and 1/2 second later they turn off. The other driver thinks I flashed them and flashes me back. This happens at least once per day.
  • Next failure scenario is that the high beams don't switch off for an oncoming car for unexplained reasons. Then I'm scrambling for one of the multiple ways to turn them off.
  • Bright reflective signs can cause it to switch to low beams
  • Today was the last straw. On the divided highway, a car passed me on the left and high beams turned off (as they should), but as we went around a left turn with the other car 50 feet ahead of me (him left lane, me right lane), the auto high beams triggered and lit up the interior of his car. I suppose he was just to the left of the Pilot's camera window.
So I'm going back to turning off the system with the 40 second hold the lever thing. 90% isn't good enough. I can do 100%, of course.

Y'all probably knew all this already.

Agreed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I live with the 90% although my experience with mine isn’t as low as 90 but I obviously don’t drive at night as often as you do. As with every other automated system/process in the vehicle, I am still ultimately in control of the vehicle and will override any inadvertent errors where possible. What’s the point of paying so much for the vehicle if I won’t allow the vehicle to do mundane tasks that has been automated? I always feel very good I don’t have to deal with wipers and it’s speed when it rains because auto sensing wipers will do the job. I don’t have to deal with adjusting full beams when needed. Recently discovered my adaptive cruise control stays on even after I have turned off the engine. Since then, I use ACC more frequently. All the automation just means less work for me while driving and makes the trips way more pleasant.

To be sincere, I can live with with the other drivers flashing me - I’d take it for “hi”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've only had my 2017 Elite for a about a month but the auto high beams seem to work fairly well by my book...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Old school driver here (bright lights were controlled by a switch on the floor in them days). 2019 Touring, only use regular cruise control, no auto bright lights, no idle stop, no lane departure etc etc. So ytoyu can see we bought lots more car than we'll ever use. But the heated seats and steering wheel are appreciated.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Me, to my future grandson: Back in my day, if you can believe it, we used to turn our high beams on and off by hand. But that was nothing; before that we had to push a peddle on the floor with our foot.

Grandson: Gee, gramps, you truly were the Greatest Generation.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
The most annoying thing with the GMC is that if you have auto high beams selected you can't use the fog lights. And vice versa. It is the most asinine thing and I will never understand how they thought that was an intelligent decision.
Some states only permit a combination of four headlight/auxiliary lights to be illuminated simultaneously.
So, if you have separate high and low beam lights that can be on simultaneously, then the fog lights have to go off when the high beams are activated in order to be legal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
always knew auto high beam was a gimmick. not worth the price for the elite. elite only worth it for the pano roof and from the 2016-2018 model the LED headlight which is no longer a factor since 2019+ elite/touring have both same superior full array LED lights. And now since we can conclude the honda stereo system even upgraded model the added HD radio isnt worth it from elite. Maybe the vented seats also are a nice touch but still not worth the premium over the touring.

As for lane keep assist. those who says not useful is because the honda system is weak compared to others. its not aggressive at all. Ive tried lane keep assist on hyundai/Kia and it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY BETTER. makes honda seem so amatuer. I was so amazed at the bottom barrel hyundai/kia have the feature and be implemented much better than my pilot. Even on pretty good curves it kept the car in the lane without my intervention at freeway speeds.

You look outside the Honda box and get pass getting honda just simply due to history and reputation--a lo tof manufacturers are way ahead in tech. Especially Hyundai/Kia. The only thing htere is getting past the fact that youll be owning a hyundai/kia lol

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Some states only permit a combination of four headlight/auxiliary lights to be illuminated simultaneously.
So, if you have separate high and low beam lights that can be on simultaneously, then the fog lights have to go off when the high beams are activated in order to be legal.
Yup, let me explain further.

You cannot engage the fog lights with the low beams while you have the auto-high assist activated. Ever. Even if the high beams don't actually engage for hours you can keep pushing the fog light button and they will not come on. The relay is already in place that turns the fogs off when the high beams are activated, I'm sure GM has some really dumb reason for doing this but nobody on the forums can understand it.

This is a separate issue, I don't want them engaged while the high beams or on I just want them engaged while the high beams are off and the ability to keep the auto high beams activated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My experience with auto highbeams on the 2020 Pilot and previous Tahoe is only that they are super conservative, system has to detect no light at all to use high beams. Never had it use them when it would have affected another driver. If anything, a more aggressive high-beam program would be an improvement. Just my 2 cents but the lane keeping on this car is much better than other vehicles I have owned or rented with the same feature - It constantly keeps the car centered in the lane where other systems seem to ping pong back and forth in the lane. With the straight roads in Florida I could let it drive itself w/ adaptive cruise and lane keeping assist for miles if it didn't keep warning to keep my hands on the wheel lol!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Have to agree with LevoRider about the high beam assist. My only complaint is that the minumum speed for Hi beams to activate it too high. I live on a rural, paved road where I don't get above the min speed to activate the Hi beams, so I manually go to Hi beam lights - we have a lot criiters in WV that like to jump out of the bushes!! Never use the lane keeping assist unless I'm opening a granola bar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How have I survived 62 years of driving while having to turn my high beams on and off myself?

Most interesting, though, was when I put a driving light (driver's side) and a fog light (passenger side) on my Mercury Capri many years ago. That driving light sent a pencil beam a long, long way down the road, so I had to make sure to turn it off at the first sight of any headlights regardless of how far away they were.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts