Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a 2020 Pilot Elite to replace my 2017 Elite. On my 2017 the auto high beams would activate at 25mph but the 2020 does not activate until 45mph. I live in the country with dark winding roads close to home. So I am driving at less than 45mph but would like brights to activate to spot deer/hogs/etc. Is there any way to retrofit the 25mph activation onto the 2020 Elite? Hoping maybe it is just a switch/module that can be replaced. Thanks.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Recently got a 2020 Pilot Elite to replace my 2017 Elite. On my 2017 the auto high beams would activate at 25mph but the 2020 does not activate until 45mph. I live in the country with dark winding roads close to home. So I am driving at less than 45mph but would like brights to activate to spot deer/hogs/etc. Is there any way to retrofit the 25mph activation onto the 2020 Elite? Hoping maybe it is just a switch/module that can be replaced. Thanks.
I have the same compaint about the auto headlights. Best I have been able to due is manually switch from Auto & go to Hi beams until I can reach a highway where I can go faster, then switch to Auto. To my knowledge there is no way to change the activation speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I now have a 2020 Honda Pilot and auto high beams weren't working. I also had a 2018 Honda Pilot and the auto high beam feature worked extremely well. I live in a rural area close to a city where outlying roads can be extremely dark, so the auto high beams are a great feature. I took my Pilot in for routine service and told them about the problem. They checked it out and came back with; the auto high beams are working correctly and no explanation of why there would be such a difference with a newer vehicle. Now after my own reading of the two manuals, I see see that Honda has increased the operating speed from 25 to 45 miles per hour. This makes the auto high beam feature pretty much useless for the majority of my driving which is close to home. I will be sending a letter to Honda as it doesn't bode well for my purchase of a 2022 MDX a tear from now. Anyone else have a fix?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,974 Posts
If you are not up to the minimum speed and want/need high beams you can always use the manual high beam switch built into the turn signal lever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are not up to the minimum speed and want/need high beams you can always use the manual high beam switch built into the turn signal lever.
That is simply not what customers expect when paying big dollars for the highest end model for features that are supposed to work. This is not what I expect from Honda automation. Several other high end features are pretty glitchy as well.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
620 Posts
I really appreciate the auto high beam setting.

The only thought process on this might be the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to justify high beams.

But to be honest in my local roads high beams make it easier to see deer and black bears that are creeping by the tree line and ready to dart across the street in my path.

This is probably worth a call and request to honda. This is most likely a simple value in the software code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I got spoiled by this feature on my 2018 Honda Pilot. The backroads around farms and larger properties are very dark and the auto high beams worked very well and were very sensitive to oncoming cars and cars ahead in switching to low beam. On the backroads, speeds are never greater than 40 mph, especially with deer around. With the 2020 Pilot the high beams almost never come on and when they do they have big delay times. Almost useless. I will be talking to Honda.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,974 Posts
I really appreciate the auto high beam setting.

The only thought process on this might be the vehicle isn't moving fast enough to justify high beams.

But to be honest in my local roads high beams make it easier to see deer and black bears that are creeping by the tree line and ready to dart across the street in my path.

This is probably worth a call and request to honda. This is most likely a simple value in the software code.
I suspect that the first part of your post is correct from a safety standpoint to Honda. 80% of the population in both the US and Canada live in urban areas, were high beams in populated areas are not appreciated and could even be dangerous, prompting Honda to raise the minimum speed from one that is applicable for virtually every street to one that would neither be annoying or dangerous to others.

Rural situations are different, but I suspect that Honda did this for the majority, knowing that there is always the tried and true manual option for those other circumstances.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,190 Posts
I had to delete my post

1 - 9 of 9 Posts