Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Auto Engine Idle Stop Can it be turned off

66K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  VBI 
#1 ·
Can the engine idle stop be turned off all together not using the botton

#2 ·
It has recently come to my attention that some of the settings can be saved by using the seat position memory system. I know that it works with some of the Honda Sensing components. To test, turn-off the Auto Idle Stop, press and hold the seat memory button to program. If it works, the next time you start the car it will return to the setting that you programmed. If that doesn't work, I don't know another method.

#8 ·
Not really. If you are demanding too much electricity, it prevents the auto-off from working temporarily (ex. high speed fan or other accessories), but as soon as the demand goes down, the auto-off will start automatically. The A/C or defrost has nothing to do with it, it is the fan on high.

#11 ·
probably will not work on Honda but the new Ford F150 has a work around. use the trailer plug and put one of those brake and turn signal lights in the receiver, thinks the truck is towing and no stop start. some also say the button to turn it off is to pull the switch and use a jumper wire that makes it bypass. I read both of these on F150 forum. maybe someone that has a trailer hitch could try plugging one in.

#12 ·
Just be thankful they gave you a button to turn it off. We just automatically start the engine, push Auto Idle Stop to off, push transmission D button every time. For us your already there.

#16 ·
If you were to PERMANENTLY disable auto stop, I suppose you could switch to a non-AGM battery. However, what provisions (if any) Honda put into the charging system for an AGM battery - I do not know. In my opinion, any savings from buying an non-AGM battery is probably not worth the risk.

#20 ·

#24 ·
according to owner’s manual the auto idle function will automatically not turn off in multiple situations...see below

I’m having the same issue and am going to try keeping climate controlled on Lo setting and low fan all the time (when warm outside) or Hi and fan on low when cold outside. Had anyone else tested this out? Another option Apparently is putting rear fan set to maximum speed
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

#25 ·
I just installed iddlestopper a cuple days ago and it's working nicely for me (2017 Pilot Touring)...really easy install, and does just what you want it to...turn on car, after about 5 seconds, idle stop turns itself off, and you can reenable it as you wish by hitting the button...key point is that it essentially default to being turned off. Really nice!

#26 ·
I want to give props to Matt at Idlestopper. I ordered an Idlestopper for a 2019 Pilot Touring AWD when in fact we have a 2018 Pilot Touring AWD. I looked at the Idlestopper website and it appeared to me the 2019 module would work for our 2018 Pilot and found it did not. I emailed Idlestopper and Matt quickly replied and informed me he would send a replacement module. At that time, I fessed up to Matt that we indeed have a 2018 Pilot AWD and he informed me that the module for the 2019 is not compatible. I apologized to Matt for the error and offered to pay the additional shipping costs to return the 2019 module in exchange for the 2018 module. Matt said it was an honest mistake and sent me the 2018 module and asked that I return the 2019 module with the prepaid label he provided! Idlestopper went above and beyond when it comes to top notch customer service! I wish all companies provided customer service similar to Matt at Idlestopper. I highly recommend the Idlestopper module and the great customer service with the Idlestopper company.

My wife is very happy with the Idlestopper in her 2018 Pilot Touring AWD.

#28 ·
Unfortunately, the auto-engine stop feature turned out to be a safety issue for us. My wife was driving our 2019 Pilot and the engine stopped at a light and wouldn't start. We believe that was because the battery died - it's strange because the post above seems to say that the auto-engine stop shouldn't have activated because the battery was low. Anyways, we had to get the vehicle towed home after an hour of blocking traffic and I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. Honda customer service said our warranty had expired (of course, by 2 weeks) so this will need to be out of pocket. Has anyone here been able to get Honda to take any ownership of such issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.