Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve looked through the forum a bunch for this but haven’t found anything specific so I’m going to shoot it out here. 2005 Honda Pilot EX. When in the auto position, the dome lights don’t turn off when the door is closed. However the door open indicator on the cash shows the door to be closed. When it’s in the auto or on positions, the map lights don’t automatically turn on. But they do turn on when I click them on. And the overhead lights in the rear don’t turn off when I click them off, which I presume to be normal functionality.
trying to establish where the fault could be to have this happen.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts
I'm going to vote for replacing your dome light microswitches, a common problem. It's a relatively easy and inexpensive fix if you know how. This should help:

·
Registered
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
One more tip, to avoid an "oh
moment"...

* The only thing I have to add is that if you plug the wire connectors back into the whole unit- you're gong to be disappointed with the results as I was- UNTIL, you screw it back it and the front screw grounds the unit also- thus closing the circuit with the door switch.
Yeah, I noticed that too the other day when I finally did it. There was an uh-oh-what-have-I broken-now moment. Good of you to add that info to this thread too, to help others avoid that heart-sinking feeling.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the immediate responses however I don’t believe I was clear and in turn I didn’t get the proper info I don’t think. I’ll try and be more clear.
When the overhead light switch is set to automatically turn on when the doors are open, the lights stay on even when the doors are shut. However the lights that stay on are the 4 in the rear headrest handles.
the map lights up front work perfectly when I manually turn them on. However with the other issue I’m dealing with, I am not sure if they are fully functional.
How do I fix the auto on/off for the whole overhead/dome system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
worked for me.
What worked for what? My issue is that when my doors are closed, all my rear overhead lights stay on rather than shutting off. How is the micro switch in the map lights related to the overhead on/auto/off switch on the dash, and in turn the other lights?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to vote for replacing your dome light microswitches, a common problem. It's a relatively easy and inexpensive fix if you know how. This should help:

My issue is that when my doors are closed, all my rear overhead lights stay on rather than shutting off. How is the micro switch in the map lights related to the overhead on/auto/off switch on the dash, and in turn the other lights?

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
My issue is that when my doors are closed, all my rear overhead lights stay on rather than shutting off. How is the micro switch in the map lights related to the overhead on/auto/off switch on the dash, and in turn the other lights?
Have tried switching the rear overhead lights off manually by pushing on them? What happens if you do?

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Then maybe one of your door switches. Check them all one by one, including the liftgate.

And of course you know they normally stay on for several seconds after a door is closed, right?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then maybe one of your door switches. Check them all one by one, including the liftgate.

And of course you know they normally stay on for several seconds after a door is closed, right?
1.)About the door switches, wouldn’t the in dash/console indicator lights be tripped for whichever door is faulty?
2.) where is the lift gate switch?
3.) yes. I know about the timed power off when in auto. If I turn that switch to auto at any point while the vehicle is on they stay on. Driving or parked.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
1.)About the door switches, wouldn’t the in dash/console indicator lights be tripped for whichever door is faulty?
You'd think so, but I'd check anyway by quickly moving them in and out, and maybe spraying a little contact cleaner.

2.) where is the lift gate switch?
Never had to locate it myself, but it's got to be there somewhere.

3.) yes. I know about the timed power off when in auto. If I turn that switch to auto at any point while the vehicle is on they stay on. Driving or parked.
That is a weird one. I wonder if there are the same microswitches in the rear lights. But that they all behave the same leads me to doubt that's the problem. But you never know. Also, may as well check your fuses with a multimeter, FWIW.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Compare the behavior of your interior lights to what the manual says. Page 97.

Thanks. I have had the vehicle for the last 6 years and it was fine for about 2 of them.
doors open or closed. No matter what. If it’s set to auto the rear individual lights stay on all the time. Front map lights can be turned on and off. But don’t come on automatically. Rears will not turn off aside from setting main control switct to off.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Have you pressed the lenses on the second and third row lights? I believe mine don’t turn off with the switch in the automatic position (this behavior is implied in the manual although it could be worded a bit clearer). After a battery draining event since a couple of the rear lights were inadvertently left on, my wife always sets the main light switch to off.

I think your map light issue is a separate issue. As mentioned in another post above, it sounds like the micro switch. That was my initial thought when I read your first post before reading any of the replies.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you pressed the lenses on the second and third row lights? I believe mine don’t turn off with the switch in the automatic position (this behavior is implied in the manual although it could be worded a bit clearer). After a battery draining event since a couple of the rear lights were inadvertently left on, my wife always sets the main light switch to off.

I think your map light issue is a separate issue. As mentioned in another post above, it sounds like the micro switch. That was my initial thought when I read your first post before reading any of the replies.
Yes. I have done about everything I can think of. If the car is off or on, the main toggle is set to automatic, and the doors are shut, the 2nd and 3rd row stay on regardless of wether each light is clicked on or off.
ultimately the lights don’t turn off automatically. They stay on 100% of the time in automatic. Same as if they are set to on.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
When you open each door does it register on the dash that the specific door is open?
When you close each door does it register on the dash that the specific door is closed?
The Pilot is not my daily driver; I think it shows you this. That will help determine if the door open/closed switch is registering the correct position.

Do the same test for the tailgate if there is a dash light for its position.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts