Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased our 2012 Pilot EX-L in 2013, and the auto dim mirror never "worked". Power light was on, and I could turn it on and off. However, I never saw the dimming function operate. Last month, I finally replaced the mirror with an Ebay unit that said it worked. Same issue. I cannot make the mirror dim.

More background... this Pilot came with dark tint on all windows, including a 6" strip across the top of the windshield. After 6 years, maybe this is the problem?

Could the mirror not receive enough external light to switch modes?

At this point, I paid for a second power mirror that I cannot use. I'm almost ready to get a manual mirror and be done with the whole thing.

Any other ideas I might try?

Thanks in advance.
-Brad

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try shining a light onto the back of the unit using a mirror if needed. See if it changes. If it does, the tint is probably blocking too much light. It thinks it’s always night

·
Registered
1 Posts
The mirror contains two light sensors. The forward racing sensor is on the front of the mirror facing forward (small white plastic lens) and the rear facing sensor is in the bottom center below the mirror glass.

Cover the forward racing sensor with your hand and shine a lot on the rear facing sensor, the glass will darken if it's powered and turned on.

Tint in the front glass won't prevent it from working. The front sensor enables mirror darkening in low light levels. Blocking light from hitting the rear sensor (3rd row head tests can do this) is more likely the problem.

·
Registered
2015 Pilot EX-L 4WD
6 Posts
If cleaning sensors doesn't help, you can try disconnecting the battery for a 'hard' restart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts