Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the air conditioning is not working correctly in my EX-L. When the a/c is on FULL LO, the air temp coming out of the vents is 41 degrees. However, when I turn on FULL AUTO A/C mode and turn the temp to 70 degress, the air is about 60 degrees coming out of the vents. The same settings on my Honda Accord with a similar fully automatic climate control system produce 41 degrees and 43 degress respectively. To keep the Pilot comfortable, we keep the climate system on Full Auto at about 66 degrees while the Accord stays on 72 degrees. Anyone else seeing this type of behavior? Anbody have a spec or tested your own to see what the temp is with A/C set on 70?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wow, sorry I haven't gone into that detail with my system but when I run it at 65* over the 90*+ days here in PA it has been very comfortable and quick to cool. My only suggestion would be to consider the size of the vehicle and number of vents. The are also under the second row shooting to the third.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I believe that when you put it on FULL LO, that the recirculate automatically kicks in thus producing a lower temperature since it's just further cooling the inside air. We keep our at about 71 and it's comfortable. It IS a lot more space to cool than an Accord which may be a contributing factor. Not much help :8:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Get it checked out ...

I also keep the AUTO on or about 70 to 72 and it maintains a comfortable temperature, but AC calibration could be the problem ... When I received my first PILOT ... only the AC in the front worked ... so while the AC was blowing frigid air in the front the heater was pumping out HOT HOT air in the rear ... not too comfortable for rear passengers in Hawaii ... Anyway .. took it back to the dealer and discovered that they had not done the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) to standard and some cable was not connected somewhere in the electrical system. It took seven hours for them to fidure this out ... finally it was fixed. I did read somewhere though that the tem sensor does get calibrated at one point in time, so it is entirely possible that this was not done or done not to standard. I would go back to the dealer and make them figure it out. I figure you spend 30+K on a vehicle you have the right to demand excellence and if you want them to jump on their right foot while singing yankee doodle dandy until your happy they should ... it's the cost of good business ... right ?

PrG

·
Registered
481 Posts
betzgb

However, when I turn on FULL AUTO A/C mode and turn the temp to 70 degress, the air is about 60 degrees coming out of the vents

Just curious, how did you measure the temperature of the air actually coming out of the vents?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: betzgb

I had the same question as Dano.

Ours is set to 74-75 also and have not noticed any problems. Even the 2nd row gets cooler quickly.

Dano said:
However, when I turn on FULL AUTO A/C mode and turn the temp to 70 degress, the air is about 60 degrees coming out of the vents

Just curious, how did you measure the temperature of the air actually coming out of the vents?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For about $5 I picked up an A/C temp gauge at AutoZone. It looks like a meat thermometer with a long spike and a small gauge at the top.

·
Registered
481 Posts
How do you know the test gauge is calibrated? Don't mean to offend at all, but a $5 meat thermometer bought at Autozone doesn't inspire confidence. . .If you're really dismayed, get back to the dealer and activate that warranty!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Is it possible the A/C would put out cooler air to get the vehicle down to the desired setting? Once the desired temperature is reached, does the A/C then warm up? If it 100 degrees inside a hot vehicle, the A/C would need to put out at 40 degrees to get the vehicle cooled off quickly to 70 degrees. Thoughts?

·
Registered
185 Posts
AC

Haven't gotten too scientific with mine but it's doing just fine in our string of 90+ degree days. Feels about "right" for where it's been set. I prefer semi-auto so I can control mode and the fan speed.

·
Registered
481 Posts
The A/C will cycle a bit. At first, kick in real high and then drop to low. Then it adjusts as needed. It's the first car I've had with auto A/C, but it seems to be operating normally.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sensors

Don't forget about the two sensors in the vehicle.

There is one that is located right around your right knee on the drivers side. This is the temperature sensor. If the climate control is set for 70, the A/C will run full blast until the air going into the sensor is at 70.

There is also a "sun" sensor on the top middle of the dash right in the joint between the dash and the windshield. I was not sure what is was for until I had the full auto on. When the sun is out (especially when you are driving right into the sun), the fan blows a little higher to compensate for the extra heat coming through the windshield....those Honda guys are pretty smart!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Checking accuracy of test gauge

You can check the accuracy of your test gauge by placing it in a glass of ice water. Your gauge should cool down to 32 degrees fahrenheit.
I usually check manual AC systems by placing the test gauge in the AC vent for 5 minutes at idle with AC controls set for maximum cooling. It should cool down to 40 degrees or better although you may need to drive it or run at fast idle to get the lowest reading. Anything greater than 45 degrees probably indicates that the AC system needs to be checked.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Re: Checking accuracy of test gauge

redrockex said:
I usually check manual AC systems by placing the test gauge in the AC vent for 5 minutes at idle with AC controls set for maximum cooling. It should cool down to 40 degrees or better although you may need to drive it or run at fast idle to get the lowest reading. Anything greater than 45 degrees probably indicates that the AC system needs to be checked.
red,

FWIW, maybe a/c systems have changed since the early 80's when I spent summers in a dealership shop helping an a/c mechanic, but at that time I learned that the temperature out of the ducts depended on the outside ambient temperature.

The mechanic who taught me said that the standard for whether an a/c was working correctly was not the temperature coming out of the duct but the difference between the external ambient temperature and the temperature out of the duct.

I remember that there was a number, say 30 or 40 degrees by which the temp out of the ducts was to be below the external ambient temp. I could be wrong, but if not, then it will not always be the case that an out-of-duct temp will determine whether the a/c is working correctly.

Good idea about using ice water to check the thermometer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts