Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Install

The amp took me about 6 hours to install. Its a good fit under the drivers seat, and I can still get to the gains and the wires.

The dash tweeters are powered by 23 watts from the head unit. These were replaced since I fried the original tweeters trying to solder on new capacitors. I swapped them with some inexpensive Pioneer tweets. I needed to add a spacer to make them fit in the original bracket and faceplate.

The door speakers only took 20 minutes each to install (after the 17th time). I don't care what Crutchfield says, the 6.5" Infinity speakers fit in each door. I wired the door speakers in parallel off the first two channels of the amp. The other channels of the amp will either power two Bazooka tubes, or be bridged to power one.

I borrowed two 6.5" Bazooka tubes from a co-worker. They fill up the bottom end of the sound spectrum perfectly. There is no boom, no rattle; just deep, rich bass. Now I need to decide between 6.5 and 8" tubes and how many. A single 8" might be enough.

The head unit was the easiest to install as long as you have the mounting bracket and wiring harness. Both can be had for under $20. The silver trim of the Sony also matches the trim on the steering wheel.

The unit is high up and slightly angled. When the faceplate folds down, it is hard to see the display because it is practically facing upward. It will fit where the HVAC is, but not with the current bracket. The HVAC is very short and has a wider bracket. I think the wiring would fit if I swapped them.

The addition of being able to play MP3's is cool. When the display is closed, it is filled with lots of info, spectrum analyzers or screen savers. It will scroll the Artist, folder, album and song name. Its easy to find any of the 100+ songs on a disc.

Other features: It is XM ready; you can scroll radio stations with text tags that you program; it has 6 preset and 1 custom EQ setting; high- and low-pass filters; three sets of output RCA's and one set of inputs; a Dynamic Soundstage Organizer (which raises the soundstage from your knees to ear level)...

One drawback is the lack of steering wheel controls. I knew I wouldn't be able to control the unit with the steering wheel when I started, but it was SO convenient. Finding the remote, finding the right button and making sure you're pointed at the head unit is not nearly as convenient as the old way. Too bad we can't use the same controls...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Why didnt you go with component kits ? I have the 8" tube (since a few years) and want to upgrade to a 10".....try to get the dual voice coil (RS instead of EL bazooka - much richer sound)....after all the work you went thru I would have gone all the way: components FR and minimum 2 ways in the RR - I personally went components all 4 corners. Anyways, how do you like it ??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ferdball, nice looking system. Hope you are enjoying the new found clarity.

Next... Sub time!:D With the system you have now, it would be scandilous if you don't finish it off with an amp powered self enclosed sub. Then, my son you will have true sonic oneness! :D :D

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ffiallo said:
Why didnt you go with component kits?
Good Point. Picture this:

Me: "I'm going to swap the speakers in the Pilot."
Wife: "Do they need to be swapped?"
Me: "Yeah, they suck!"
Wife: "How much are new speakers?"
Me: $60
Wife: "Each?!?"
Me: "No, per pair."
Wife: "Oh, okay."

$700 later, I'm looking for some bass! But yeah, I would definitely recommend some good separates if the budget affords it.

Originally posted by 91Octane
Next... Sub time!
So, the last two channels offer 250 watts RMS into 2 ohms if bridged. A Bazooka 8" would fit nicely attached to the back of the center seat in the last row. I might need to move it depending on the cargo I'm carrying at the time. The two 6.5" tubes sound really really good though.

Here's my current dilemna:
a. One flush mounted 10" sub in the factory location. Might need some modifying, but it would be stealthy and out of the way. But how would it sound? Should I take advantage of the 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee?
b. Keep the two 6.5" tubes. Check this out - the area that these two cones cover is 40.84 cubic inches, the single 8" covers 25.13 cubic inches. I could get them cheap, and I KNOW they sound good.
c. Get a single 8" DVC tube. Slightly less cumbersome, I haven't heard it vs. the two 6.5's and they're $115 each ($155 for the 10").

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No room for improvement

I finally did my sub upgrade. Any chance of mounting an upgraded sub in the factory location won't work without some serious custom work. I wasn't about to cut into the side panel, especially when not knowing what it would sound like.

Sub upgrade

After deciding that the sub wouldn't fit in the factory location, I went to the local install shop and bought a box. The RFZ3410 calls for a .75 cu ft sealed box, and I found a perfect one for $70. The back of it fits the angle of the middle-row seats, it has gold-plated terminals and it feels solid.

So far, it sounds better then the two 6.5" bazooka tubes. It hits the lower frequencies better, seems to be fairly flat, doesn't have a sweet spot, and I can turn the gains up higher.

91Octane: I tried every option, but it looks like you had the right idea. I went through a lot of work just to get some Dynamat in there...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ferdball, yes I too wanted to stay with the existing enclosure but also went through the whole process before settling on the self enclosed sub.:)

Great looking pics! One thing though. You may want to consider purchasing a grill for your new sub. Last thing you need is to put something sharp through that expensive cone!:2:

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have one, but it touches the foam surround. I'm going to have to be careful while I search for a better one.

So, for you other 80,000 Pilot owners, don't bother trying to upgrade the sub in the factory location. Now if you'd all just send me $.02 via PayPal... :5:

My last venture is to get the steering wheel controls to work with the head unit. I found one that work with some Ford vehicles, but not the Honda. Does anyone have a solution for this?

P L E A S E ! ! !

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

I'll check it out. Should work, but I have one of the Sony's. Hope my model works with the thing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I got the wrong head unit. According to Crutchfield...

Thanks so much for your order! Unfortunately however, I have no information to suggest that the PAC SWI-X adaptor is compatible with the steering wheel controls in your Honda Pilot. Additionally, this adaptor is not compatible with the Sony RM-X110 wireless remote control, which is the remote included with your Sony CDX-M850MP receiver. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you there.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Ferdball said:
Good Point. Picture this:

Me: "I'm going to swap the speakers in the Pilot."
Wife: "Do they need to be swapped?"
Me: "Yeah, they suck!"
Wife: "How much are new speakers?"
Me: $60
Wife: "Each?!?"
Me: "No, per pair."
Wife: "Oh, okay."

$700 later, I'm looking for some bass! But yeah, I would definitely recommend some good separates if the budget affords it...
Funny :2: I had the exact same conversation with my wife a couple weeks ago. I doubt I'll go much past the doors and dash speaker upgrade...but we'll see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
tim.s said:
Funny :2: I had the exact same conversation with my with a couple weeks ago. I doubt I'll go much past the doors and dash speaker upgrade...but we'll see.
Foolish mortal. That's what we all say at the start. I just wanted better sounding speakers. Then after that, hmmm... The stock head unit really bites, perhaps a new head unit. Then... what would it sound like if I added an amp? Finally... I bet it would sound really sweet if I added a sub. But I have to amplify it because I'm using a non vented enclosure. Oh man... we are so pathetic! :2:

I'm in audio file heaven! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have notice in the Forums most are recommending the Infinity 6002 speakers. I have gone to 4 different car audio shops and have received 4 different recommendation (surprise, surprise). One shop swears by Kenwood, another Infinity, then Pioreer and JL. To compare apples to apples I looked at speakers in the same price range. To get more bang for my buck I plan to spend about $100 a pair (not installed). The Infinity 6002 is right there. My question based on the dollar amount I wish to spend, are the Infinity speakers have the best overall range and sound? Does anyone else have a different speaker system? If so what, and what price range are we talking about? I wish to keep the speaker replacement at or under 300 installed.

The shop selling Infinity suggests the following:
60002i in the rear doors
6000 c (component speakers with tweeter and high pass filter) in the front.
They would replace the existing tweeter in the same locations. For aditional cost they could cut a hole in the front doors and place the tweeters there. Has anyone done this? Is the sound quality that much better.

Is this worth the extra $75 over just (4) Infinity 6002

I don't have the greatest ear, but I can tell the OME speakers are not good. I not looking to go crazy, but I want it to sound good without breaking the bank, I have other items in mind for my Pilot (i.e. 17" wheels when the Goodyears wear out).

Thanks for any and all help in this.

P.S. If possible to all please respond ASAP because in 2 weeks I am going on a 2500 road trip vacation with the wife and kids (thank god for the DVD player). I wish to have this completed before I go.

Pilot On !!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Choosing car speakers is very subjective and a personal thing.
Some people prefer speakers with aggressive tweeter and they call it detailed. Others like a bump in the low midrange and its been referred to as a warm sound, in addition there is east coast sound and a west…
Of course the majority of us prefer balanced uncolored speakers.
Car audio market is driven by money (as all businesses) and is tailored toward very young people that spend their last Penny on car stereo. Most like lots of bass and treble.
Sorry I had to get it off my chest.
This is a good place to see some reviews
http://www.carreview.com/Speakers/PLS_1805crx.aspx

If you choose to go with infinities, (components in front and coax in the back), tweeters should not be far from woofers so install them in the front doors. Original tweeters could be left alone or disconnected or replaced some other time.
This probably would be your best bet.
There are some “ better sounding speakers” but will cost you more.
If you are not planning on adding an amplifier to your setup,
one thing to keep in mind is speaker sensitivity; if you go below 92db you will loose some sound volume and balance with original OEM subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Choosing speakers...

NewPilotMan,

Your best bet for being satisfied is to pick speakers in your price range and go with an install shop you like and trust (good reputation) and one that won't pressure you to spend more. You probably won't notice a lot of difference in the brands if you stick with the "good" brands.

The door mounted tweeters are probably a better upgrade (and it's good the shop pointed this out), but it's not something you can reverse later - they will be drilling holes in the door panel.

Flush mount is the best and some models can be pivoted behind the grill for fine tuning the position. Ask if they can color match the tweeter grill covers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used the Eclipse 8962 point source speakers. The tweeter can be aimed upward for better sound reproduction.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I'm a little confused. First you said this...
Ferdball said:

After deciding that the sub wouldn't fit in the factory location, I went to the local install shop and bought a box. The RFZ3410 calls for a .75 cu ft sealed box, and I found a perfect one for $70. The back of it fits the angle of the middle-row seats, it has gold-plated terminals and it feels solid.

So far, it sounds better then the two 6.5" bazooka tubes. It hits the lower frequencies better, seems to be fairly flat, doesn't have a sweet spot, and I can turn the gains up higher.
then you said this...

Ferdball said:

So, for you other 80,000 Pilot owners, don't bother trying to upgrade the factory sub. Now if you'd all just send me $.02 via PayPal... :5:

My last venture is to get the steering wheel controls to work with the head unit. I found one that work with some Ford vehicles, but not the Honda. Does anyone have a solution for this?

P L E A S E ! ! !
Are you saying that the sub upgrade wasn't worth the price or that it isn't any better?

Also, have you found any solution to the steering wheel control problem.

This is one of my last big hurdles before I order my Pilot. If I'm going to upgrade the factory system with aftermarket then I won't order any of the factory upgrades with my Pilot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
PILOTMAN,

GO FOR IT. ITS WORHT IT''''''

I JUST UPRADE MY SPEAKERS LAST WEEK WITH INFINITY
6000cs AND 6002i.

GOOD LUCK'''''''

VIN#322
HONDA PILOT W/ NAVI
NIGHTBLACKHAWK, ALPINE XM,ALPINE CD CHANGER, STAINLESS
SIDE STEP, REAR LIGHT GUARD,FOG LIGHTS, CARGO TRAY, REAR