Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Pilot is being delivered in a few weeks, and I was wondering about options for upgrading the audio system. I would like to limit my spending to around $500. That means that I could get the CD changer from Honda.

Would I be better off spending that cash on a third party tuner/cd changer replacement? I don't intend to do anything to the speaker system.

I would welcome suggestions.

Thanks!
gdp

·
Registered
407 Posts
gdparks,

Personally, I would recommend that you use your money to buy aftermarket products. For the amount you're willing to pay you can get a pretty good aftermarket receiver and CD changer for under $500 (including installation if you choose not to do it yourself).

Although you do not have intentions to upgrade the speaker system, I would certainly consider it. The Pilot's are OK for a stock system but for a music enthusiast, like myself, it's like buying a 50" large screen TV with mediocre screen quality. Just throwin in my 2 cents.

Either way, congrats on your new Pilot!

riseboi

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
gdparks said:
My new Pilot is being delivered in a few weeks, and I was wondering about options for upgrading the audio system. I would like to limit my spending to around $500. That means that I could get the CD changer from Honda.

Would I be better off spending that cash on a third party tuner/cd changer replacement? I don't intend to do anything to the speaker system...
What model are you getting (LX, EX, EX-RES, EX-Navi)? The reason I'm asking is that the stock system you get might influence what you replace and with what.

Also, are you doing the labor yourself or does the $500 include install fees?

If you don't mind loosing the stock appearance, the you could probably do better going all after market. But if you want to retain the stock head unit or steering controls or if you have to integrate with the RES or Navi, then you will need to limit your modifications somewhat (the Honda or Alpine changers would be good here).

I'd also consider upgrading the door and dash speakers - you can make a nice improvement of around $200.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My wife for father's day bought me the 6 CD changer. I have an ex-l and had Honda install the dvd system before i took the Pilot home. Has anyone installed the CD changer and if so is it hard to do? Also I asked the service manager about installation and they would charge about $80.00. I am worried that the CD changer would not work because I had them install the DVD system into the radio, they assured me that the CD changer would work properly. Any advice would help

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
frankie's pilot said:
My wife for father's day bought me the 6 CD changer. I have an ex-l and had Honda install the dvd system before i took the Pilot home. Has anyone installed the CD changer and if so is it hard to do? Also I asked the service manager about installation and they would charge about $80.00. I am worried that the CD changer would not work because I had them install the DVD system into the radio, they assured me that the CD changer would work properly. Any advice would help
Congrats frankie's pilot,

I personally installed an Alpine CHA-S634 changer a while back (under the driver's seat like the OEM). I did not find it difficult at all. Just be careful removing the audio panel. You don't want to break the clips or scratch the dash. I assume that the DVD is modulated, so the 16-pin socket for the Changer should be available.

Click here for Honda's Changer installation instructions.

·
Registered
335 Posts
To get the best upgrade in the sound system for $500. I would buy an amp and replace the front component speakers. Made a HUGE difference in the sound quality of any source for me. The 6CD unit would be nice, for convenience sake.

·
Registered
305 Posts
New Audio System

I just purchased a brand new Pioneer 5500MP MP3/WMA Player for $145 on e-bay. On just one CD-RW, that I can erase at any time, I have 12 full CD's in MP3 format. If you think about it this way, you get an awesome head unit with 50 per channel, a 12 disc CD Changer, and it matches perfectly with the Pilots' steering wheel, all for under $150. You will need to purchase an install kit and the wiring harness but you can get that for under $20 at Wal-Mart, and its extremely easy to install. Took me 30 minutes. I bought a 400W Jensen Amp at Wal-Mart for $100, an 800W 10" PowerBase Xtreme Subwoofer at a local Stereo shop for $100, and the enclosure for the Sub cost me $30 at Wal-Mart. All the wires cost me about $15 at Wal-Mart. It all added up to $410. That sounds like its in your range. The head unit has an adjustable built-in crossover that will keep (all, some, or none) low frequencies (Bass) away from your door speakers so you won't have to replace you speakers and still have a great sounding system. You have now been hit by my two cents.

·
Registered
495 Posts
mooz said:
Just picked up my new exl Saturday, I'm shocked at the lack of audio quality in the system. I'm no audiophile but that is just ridiculous. Immediately looking for options just tripped over this

http://www.phatnoise.com/products/digitalmediaplayers/honda.php

Serious music storage and controlled by the OEM head unit.
Steep on the dollar side though.

Any one tried it?

ciao
mooz
20 GB of music storage is great, but finding a specific song without a text display/interface would probably be a pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts