Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2013 Pilot Touring. My USB audio and HD audio are intermittently inop. They will function for a while, sometimes at startup, sometimes after a period of driving. When they are inop...no audio output...the audio display for my USB connected iPod shows the full library, the selection playing and transitions to the next track normally however there is no sound. The HD display shows the entire saved library and I can select tracks but they appear not to be playing (time is not running) again, no audio output. All other functions of the Nav system, AM/FM, SAT radio, Bluetooth phone and audio as well as Aux input from iPod function normally. CD and DVD work normally. Dealer says the HD is “skipping” and cannot be replaced on its own but only by replacing the entire “audio unit.” Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There's really no "hard drive" as such to skip. It is just a chip, similar to an SD card. Nothing mechanical. If your USB/hard drive portion is not working, but other stuff does, this sounds more like a software issue of some kind.

Frankly, that "650W system" is about the last thing I would consider "holding on to". The 650W is peak, not RMS, and speakers are garbage. It is electrically impossible to have a real 650W sound system when your amp is on a 30A fuse. The head unit is also a dinosaur. Outdated navigation, sketchy bluetooth, no proper phone integration.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My perception (audible...) is that a genuine spinning-platter hard drive spins up in the center stack when I unlock or open the driver's door. In anticipation of engine start? It spins down after a short period if I don't start the engine. Others have reported louder hard drive noises in cold weather circumstances.

I'd be sorely tempted to try lifting and reseating all the connectors on the radio head unit in that stack, maybe with a spritz of contact cleaner as part of the process. In the meanwhile, maybe somebody has the hard drive specs. There are some handy disk copy utilities that will do an exact duplication of data from one to another, ASSuming that the physical interface is some industry standard. Don't know if the unit looks for a specific disk ID like a UUID or serial number to allow software to mount. No clue if an SSD replacement would be an option.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts