Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a 2017 EXL from a dealer. Coming from a Hyundai Genesis, my wife and I love the room and the creature comforts of this Pilot. It barely has 30K mi on it, and I am preparing for a slew of maintenance items (due at 30K) including changing out the oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter, and rear differential oil.

Reading about GDI engines and various posts on this forum has pretty well convinced me that routine injector cleaning and periodic intake valve cleaning is a necessity. While there are many good fuel additives to help clean the injectors (Seafoam, etc), I am not entirely convinced that spraying a solvent such as CRC GDI IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner is very effective, or won't destroy or degrade the catalytic converter.

While researching intake valve cleaning options (that don't involve the costly procedure of blasting the intakes with walnut shells to clean out the carbon), I came across a video of a couple mechanics down south who were using a system developed by Ford engineers called ATS Chemical 3C Intelligent Induction Cleaner. In the span of 15 minutes, it injects a powerful carbon solvent into each of the intakes, then siphons out the emulsified carbon deposits.

Sounds like a great idea to me, because it probably wont contaminate your oil and/or trash the catalytic converter. My biggest issue is trying to find a shop here in Denver that has one of these devices and offers induction cleaning service. Most mechanics here want $800+ to tear the engine down and spend hours blasting each cylinder with walnut shells.

Does anyone in this forum have any experience (good or bad) with the ATS Chemical 3C Intelligent Induction Cleaner? If so, I'd love to hear about it. Especially where you found this service (at a Ford dealer maybe), and how much they charged you.

·
Registered
402 Posts
At 30K miles, you probably don't have much to worry about. Best evidence seen so far here is that the J35 motor does not have nearly the carbon buildup problem that some other direct inject engines have. Obviously it still gets some, but in comparison not as big a deal. See this thread for pictures of intake valves from a 2016 with 74K miles:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw pictures of some 2016 Pilot intakes at 40K. It didn't look to bad at first blush, until they started cleaning off the carbon deposits. There was a lot of carbon build up on the intakes at 40K mi.

So I am not worried, just planning for the inevitable.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You can certainly do this if you want but the DI J35 does not have as widespread intake valve buildup issues as say VW/Audi or GM 2.5. I'd do the same thing I did with our Traverse when I bought it at 80k, I'd give it an oil change right away with an oil suited for DI engines and monitor the oil level. I found our Traverse wasn't "losing" any oil so I am not concerned about existing buildup and I continue to monitor my oil level.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've used berrymans kit 2640 on my turbo gdi car at around 45k miles and noticed a slight difference in response and mileage. Have another kit for the pilot but need to catch up on my other projects first.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Top Tier 87 octane gasoline is very good at cleaning an engine. The problem is the VCM causes some cylinders to shut down and oil deposits can build up. If your vehicle were mine, I'd disable the VCM so your engine is running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time.
S-VCM cost me $95. That a cheaper better fix.

Reactions: Hondamon
1 - 6 of 6 Posts