Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took my family to a local park for bike ride. Got my BT OBDII recording ATF all the way. The default temp is not too bad considering with three bikes on a bike rack. Max ATF temp is 190.4F. Ambient temp is around 78F though after Isaias. Will take a highway trip on Tuesday and will see how the ATF temp looks like then.

What ATF temp do you guys get with trans cooler installed?

08/08/2020 data Local only
ATF temp vs. speed (Same trip)

08/11/2020 Highway and Local combined

First plateau was at 80MPH around 172F, second plateau is at local around 187F with a lot of stop-and -go's. Ambient temperature is around 95F in the afternoon. Looks like the default ATF warmer is controlling the ATF temp well...

Updated TFT with OEM trans cooler 20-Aug-2020

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Heard ATF temp 175-200F is desirable temp. The lower the ATF temp, the better.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Pre-cooler install, 211F peak around town......post aftermarket cooler install, 171F peak around town. 2017 FWD Ridgeline.....no OE factory cooler.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pre-cooler install 211F peak around town......post aftermarket cooler install 171F peak around town. 2017 FWD Ridgeline.....no OE factory cooler.
Thanks for sharing. Looks like your trans cooler works really well. (y)

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I didn't get a pre cooler temp. I'm on flat land, driving 75mph on 100°F days. The warmest my ATF got was 187°F. Took an 18 mile round trip yesterday 95°F ambient temp. and only got to 168°F. I guess speed = More air going through cooler.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't get a pre cooler temp. I'm on flat land, driving 75mph on 100°F days. The warmest my ATF got was 187°F. Took an 18 mile round trip yesterday 95°F ambient temp. and only got to 168°F. I guess speed = More air going through cooler.
Thanks for sharing... I did some google search and found one guy mentioned that ATF temp is related to RPM... will have to try to monitor the ATF temp on highway to see how it goes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Speed definitely makes a difference......I can get up on our loop and after 3-4 miles at 60 mph, then exiting, TFT will drop about 6 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,277 Posts
With all due respects, I have a difficult time believing your above statement. I have spent far to much time in Texas to believe that you are driving 75 mph, unless you are talking about driving around on some side streets. 75mph on a Texas highway will get you run over. 😁

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
With all due respects, I have a difficult time believing your above statement. I have spent far to much time in Texas to believe that you are driving 75 mph, unless you are talking about driving around on some side streets. 75mph on a Texas highway will get you run over. 😁
You probably should stay in Do Dah then. 😲

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
In Texas any speed limit has an automatic addition of 10mph just to stay close to the speed of prevailing traffic.
Yes, or get ran over. I-45 between Houston and Dallas is such a place.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
Yes, or get ran over. I-45 between Houston and Dallas is such a place.
As is I-35 from the Red river to the gulf coast. But then I-35 is basically one giant strip mall as well.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
As is I-35 from the Red river to the gulf coast. But then I-35 is basically one giant strip mall as well.
I-35 can get crazy in spots. The craziest ignore the speed limit drivers are on I-45 between Houston and Dallas. I saw a car wreck so bad there, just the engine by itself was sitting on the road. No way to know what kind of car it was. Just obliterated.
Obviously, they didn't have a good set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s. Could have saved their lives.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
How do you tell a good set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s from a bad set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s?
A bad set is after perp runs over police deployed stop sticks.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
I-35 can get crazy in spots. The craziest ignore the speed limit drivers are on I-45 between Houston and Dallas. I saw a car wreck so bad there, just the engine by itself was sitting on the road. No way to know what kind of car it was. Just obliterated.
Obviously, they didn't have a good set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02s. Could have saved their lives.
Oh I don't know. I-10 between Houston and San Antonio makes Indy speedway look like the Kiddy Car ride at Disney. 290 between Houston and Austin is just about as bad just with more curves. At least on 71 they slow down when they get near Basdrop. Perhaps it's the nearness to the Federal Corrections Facility that worries folks.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Oh I don't know. I-10 between Houston and San Antonio makes Indy speedway look like the Kiddy Car ride at Disney. 290 between Houston and Austin is just about as bad just with more curves. At least on 71 they slow down when they get near Basdrop. Perhaps it's the nearness to the Federal Corrections Facility that worries folks.
I-10 between SA and Houston has a crazy driver every 10th vehicle. I-45 will have groups of vehicle in a pack, drafting like there on Texas Motor Speedway.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
I-10 between SA and Houston has a crazy driver every 10th vehicle. I-45 will have groups of vehicle in a pack, drafting like there on Texas Motor Speedway.
Yeah, there's nothing quite like a pack of crazy Texans barreling down the highway trying to reach across the void from their car into the cooler in the back of Billy Bob's truck to get themselves another beer at 90 mph.

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts
It's getting about time for me to make a bootlegging run down that way. I do have a taste for Ziegenbock. Its better than Shiner.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts