Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the rear wheels on my Pilot today to winter tires, and when I took it out for a drive I noticed the "A/T Temp" indicator was on, as well as the Blinking D light.

I took it to Advance in Silverthorne, CO (great shop btw - always been helpful), read the codes, cleared the codes, and read them again.

I got:
  • P0700 Current 70-3
  • P0713 Current 28-4
  • P0713 Temp 28-4
From what I've read, P0700 is set when there is not an emissions problem (hence no CEL) and there is more than 1 code set in the transmission module. So I'm ignoring that.

The P0713 code is (from the FSM): "Open in ATF Temperature Sensor Circuit". I've attached a picture of the FSM pages showing how to troubleshoot.

My questions:
  • It says "This code... cannot be caused by a mechanical problem in the transmission". Which means its only a sensor that's messed up. Is it safe to drive the vehicle through the end of the week when I can get to Colorado Springs and get a "new to me" ATF Temp Sensor from a junked Pilot I have?
  • Is it worth diagnosing as the FSM states? Or should I just get a new ATF Temp Sensor?
  • What is the "Current 28-4 / Temp 28-4" for? I see nothing about these sub-codes in the FSM.
  • Anyone else have this issue? How did you resolve it?
--Chris N.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,846 Posts
I haven’t had that issue, but the first thing I would do is verify the electrical connector and wiring at the sensor are intact. You might even unplug the connector and look for corrosion on the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay I took a look around the transmission and it looks like there is indeed a broken connection in the ATF temperature sensor. Two wires were broken, so I took the wire out of the harness a little bit, clipped them clean and took photos.

Looks like now all I need to do is splice them back together, but I don't know which wire goes to which wire. They are both the same color wire. Any advice?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If your FSM has the wiring diagram for the tranny temp sensor attach it here and I’ll take a look.
Is there a small stripe on one of the wire’s insulation?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help @road2cycle . Unfortunately the FSM does not have a wiring diagram the ATF temp sensor. Both wires look exactly the same as well.

Before I do any splicing, I'll wait for others to comment, but I think I should be good to splice them without knowing the original setup. Here's my logic:
  • The temp sensor is a thermistor (as the ATF heats up, the resistance of the sensor goes down).
  • The PCM/ECM sends a voltage of 5v across the wire, the thermistor varies its resistance based on heat, the PCM/ECM reads back a different voltage, and can then calculate ATF temp.
  • If I splice the wrong wires together, then all that happens is the sensor itself (not the connector) has current flowing the opposite direction.
  • Because the sensor is just a thermistor, and varies resistance, the direction of current should not matter. After some quick googling, thermistors do not have "polarity" like capacitors.
It's that last bullet that I'm kind of curious on. Thoughts?

For reference:

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Since it’s just a thermistor, which is not polarity sensitive, you can splice the two wires either way.

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: SUCCESS!! I spliced the wires back together with two push-in wire connectors, scooted over to Advance Auto to borrow a scanner, reset the codes, and we're good to go!

Thx for the help @road2cycle . Always nice to have a second opinion on my plan of action.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Glad you were able to fix it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Which may explain why the wires are undifferentiated in their colors. Congrats on your success.(y)
It's almost like the engineers knew what they were doing!! But I've done some stupid things in my life, and its nice to have this forum to double check :)

--Chris N.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts