Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drained and refilled my ATF fluid today. But I was unsure how long to warm the engine before I check the level. A guy on You Tube said to start the engine and stop it when the cooling fan turns on, wait 90 seconds, and then check the level. What say you guys about this? One person even said to check it while the engine is running. I put in a little less than 3.5 quarts,drove around the block,stopped the engine and after a minute or two checked the level and I was overfilled. I will recheck it tomorrow. I looked in the manual and found nothing on how to check the level. BTW,I used the Funny Pipe and the fluid fill aperatus from Hopkins as described earlier and it was a breeze. 2017 Pilot EX 6 speed.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Check the ATF level with the engine off. I'm not sure about warm or cold, I guess warm would be safe. I would have to find my owners manual to be sure on that point-- and I don't think that it's that big of a deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the dipstick itself, at the two holes, it says "hot". So I figure you should check the level when the engine is warm,hot.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agree, check with the engine off. Also, make sure you’re on completely level ground. It it’s not level, it will throw off an accurate reading.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Now after driving the Pilot for about 4 miles from work and checking it multiple times, I was actually a little low still. But having added a little more to make the total ATF added 3.8 quarts, I now get a reading between the dots, after a 4 mile drive. You have to look carefully at the dipstick on both sides because one side has ATF way up above the 2 marks and the other side shows the accurate level. I know,,you would think it would be the same on both sides but every time I check it, that's the way it comes out. Even when I was low there was just a little ATF on one side and on the other side had ATF way up the dipstick. You have to go with the lowest level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From the 2012 Pilot manual:

ATF Level Check

NOTE:

• Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
• Check the ATF level within 60—90 seconds after turning the engine off.
• Higher ATF level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.
1. Park the vehicle on the level ground.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), then turn the engine off.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe it with a clean cloth.
4. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.
5. Remove the dipstick, and check the ATF level. It should be between the upper mark (A) and the lower mark (B).
6. If the ATF level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and the ATF cooler hoses and the line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission with ATF.

NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is below the lower mark, one or more of these symptoms may occur:
• Transmission damage.
• Vehicle does not move in any gear.
• Vehicle accelerates poorly, and flares when starting off in D and R positions.
• The engine vibrates at idle.

7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to the proper level (see step 4 on page 14-187).

NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF lever is above the upper mark, the vehicle may creep forward while in N, or have shifting problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts