Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I drained and refilled my ATF fluid today. But I was unsure how long to warm the engine before I check the level. A guy on You Tube said to start the engine and stop it when the cooling fan turns on, wait 90 seconds, and then check the level. What say you guys about this? One person even said to check it while the engine is running. I put in a little less than 3.5 quarts,drove around the block,stopped the engine and after a minute or two checked the level and I was overfilled. I will recheck it tomorrow. I looked in the manual and found nothing on how to check the level. BTW,I used the Funny Pipe and the fluid fill aperatus from Hopkins as described earlier and it was a breeze. 2017 Pilot EX 6 speed.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Check the ATF level with the engine off. I'm not sure about warm or cold, I guess warm would be safe. I would have to find my owners manual to be sure on that point-- and I don't think that it's that big of a deal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the dipstick itself, at the two holes, it says "hot". So I figure you should check the level when the engine is warm,hot.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Agree, check with the engine off. Also, make sure you’re on completely level ground. It it’s not level, it will throw off an accurate reading.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Now after driving the Pilot for about 4 miles from work and checking it multiple times, I was actually a little low still. But having added a little more to make the total ATF added 3.8 quarts, I now get a reading between the dots, after a 4 mile drive. You have to look carefully at the dipstick on both sides because one side has ATF way up above the 2 marks and the other side shows the accurate level. I know,,you would think it would be the same on both sides but every time I check it, that's the way it comes out. Even when I was low there was just a little ATF on one side and on the other side had ATF way up the dipstick. You have to go with the lowest level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the 2012 Pilot manual:

ATF Level Check

NOTE:

• Keep all foreign particles out of the transmission.
• Check the ATF level within 60—90 seconds after turning the engine off.
• Higher ATF level may be indicated if the radiator fan comes on twice or more.
1. Park the vehicle on the level ground.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature (the radiator fan comes on), then turn the engine off.
3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) (A) from the dipstick guide tube, and wipe it with a clean cloth.
4. Insert the dipstick back into the dipstick guide tube.
5. Remove the dipstick, and check the ATF level. It should be between the upper mark (A) and the lower mark (B).
6. If the ATF level is below the lower mark, check for fluid leaks at the transmission, and the ATF cooler hoses and the line joints. If a problem is found, fix it before filling the transmission with ATF.

NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF level is below the lower mark, one or more of these symptoms may occur:
• Transmission damage.
• Vehicle does not move in any gear.
• Vehicle accelerates poorly, and flares when starting off in D and R positions.
• The engine vibrates at idle.

7. If the level is above the upper mark, drain the ATF to the proper level (see step 4 on page 14-187).

NOTE: If the vehicle is driven when the ATF lever is above the upper mark, the vehicle may creep forward while in N, or have shifting problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drained and refilled my ATF fluid today. But I was unsure how long to warm the engine before I check the level. A guy on You Tube said to start the engine and stop it when the cooling fan turns on, wait 90 seconds, and then check the level. What say you guys about this? One person even said to check it while the engine is running. I put in a little less than 3.5 quarts,drove around the block,stopped the engine and after a minute or two checked the level and I was overfilled. I will recheck it tomorrow. I looked in the manual and found nothing on how to check the level. BTW,I used the Funny Pipe and the fluid fill aperatus from Hopkins as described earlier and it was a breeze. 2017 Pilot EX 6 speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unless transmissions have changed substantially, when you check atf fluid levels, transmission should be WARM, on level surface, AND ENGINE LEFT RUNNING WHILE IN PARK/NEUTRAL

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Unless transmissions have changed substantially, when you check atf fluid levels, transmission should be WARM, on level surface, AND ENGINE LEFT RUNNING WHILE IN PARK/NEUTRAL
You need to check your specific owner's manual... for at least 2nd gen Pilots it must be between 60 and 90 seconds after turning the vehicle off when hot. It is really vehicle specific and all users should be encouraged to consult their owner's manual since this practice is not standard between all brands or even vehicles within each brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You need to check your specific owner's manual... for at least 2nd gen Pilots it must be between 60 and 90 seconds after turning the vehicle off when hot. It is really vehicle specific and all users should be encouraged to consult their owner's manual since this practice is not standard between all brands or even vehicles within each brand.
Apologies, I stand corrected. First time I’ve ever heard of checking while engine off.
I have 2016 pilot and pretty sure manual indicates engine running. Will check ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Weird but manual has no instructions on how to check! Looking on line says engine warm and running. Thought that was for all auto. Transmissions but apparently not

·
Registered
277 Posts
Weird but manual has no instructions on how to check! Looking on line says engine warm and running. Thought that was for all auto. Transmissions but apparently not
I think checking with engine off is pretty common on FWD transaxles these days, although each car may have very specific instructions on how hot the engine is to be (maybe even specifying a computer-read coolant temperature as many German cars do), time to wait after shutdown, etc. On my 2006 Pilot, it's the fully-warm (cooling fan cycling), wait 60-90 seconds protocol.

Like everything these days, just more complex than it used to be and you have to do more homework. Fortunately, we have better tools to do the homework.

-Mark

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I actually detest checking transmission fluid levels, it's the least reliable fluid to check but can cause so much damage if done wrong. I've generally taken to looking at how much fluid is supposed to be a part of a drain and fill service from the manuals and measuring how much I drained out. I start with the lesser of the two if they are close (mine have always been close thankfully) and move on from there.

I don't know how many of you are VW or Audi owners, but I actually quite like their tiered system that has a sump with an overflow pan, so any extra fluid just drains into the overflow pan and the sump always has the appropriate amount.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ok. Now after driving the Pilot for about 4 miles from work and checking it multiple times, I was actually a little low still. But having added a little more to make the total ATF added 3.8 quarts, I now get a reading between the dots, after a 4 mile drive. You have to look carefully at the dipstick on both sides because one side has ATF way up above the 2 marks and the other side shows the accurate level. I know,,you would think it would be the same on both sides but every time I check it, that's the way it comes out. Even when I was low there was just a little ATF on one side and on the other side had ATF way up the dipstick. You have to go with the lowest level.
I've been able to fill 3.8 or even 3.9 after I let it drip for a long time and jacking up the rear drivers side.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
807 Posts
Learn how to check Honda transmission levels in your car without getting an incorrect reading. Many vehicles require you to check transmission fluid while the transmission is cold, but not Honda transmissions. Find out how to keep your Honda transmission in good working order for years to come.

Step 1
Start and drive your Honda to warm the transmission. Letting the car idle will warm the engine but not the transmission. The gears have to engage for the transmission to warm up. Drive for at least 10-15 minutes.
Step 2
Park and turn off the car on flat, solid ground. Parking on a hill will shift the fluids inside the transmission and give you false readings on the stick.

Step 3
Find the dipstick for the transmission. Make sure you find the transmission dipstick, not the engine oil dipstick. Most engine oil dipsticks are labeled and come out of the engine. Transmission dipsticks are normally on the side of the engine area and are lower than the engine oil dipstick.

Step 4
Check the transmission fluid level by making sure the dipstick is in the locked position, then pull it out, wipe the tip with a rag and push it back down into the locked position. Pull the dipstick out again and look at the tip. There will be two lines or two dots engraved into the metal of the stick. The fluid level should be between these two marks.
Smell the fluid on the stick to check for odors. If the oil smells burnt, you need to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled with new Honda transmission fluid.

Tip
  • Overfilling a Honda transmission with oil will cause the transmission to fail. Always pull the dipstick out, wipe and then insert it into the locked position before pulling it out again for the actual check.
Warning
  • Do not check the transmission fluid while the transmission is cold. Most vehicles require the transmission to be cold when the fluid is checked, but not Honda vehicles. Doing this will give you an incorrect reading. Do not think that the transmission fluid is okay just because it isn't dark-colored. Even light-colored transmission fluid can be burned and have lost all lubricating capabilities.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Learn how to check Honda transmission levels in your car without getting an incorrect reading. Many vehicles require you to check transmission fluid while the transmission is cold, but not Honda transmissions. Find out how to keep your Honda transmission in good working order for years to come.

Step 1
Start and drive your Honda to warm the transmission. Letting the car idle will warm the engine but not the transmission. The gears have to engage for the transmission to warm up. Drive for at least 10-15 minutes.
Step 2
Park and turn off the car on flat, solid ground. Parking on a hill will shift the fluids inside the transmission and give you false readings on the stick.

Step 3
Find the dipstick for the transmission. Make sure you find the transmission dipstick, not the engine oil dipstick. Most engine oil dipsticks are labeled and come out of the engine. Transmission dipsticks are normally on the side of the engine area and are lower than the engine oil dipstick.

Step 4
Check the transmission fluid level by making sure the dipstick is in the locked position, then pull it out, wipe the tip with a rag and push it back down into the locked position. Pull the dipstick out again and look at the tip. There will be two lines or two dots engraved into the metal of the stick. The fluid level should be between these two marks.
Smell the fluid on the stick to check for odors. If the oil smells burnt, you need to have the transmission fluid flushed and refilled with new Honda transmission fluid.

Tip
  • Overfilling a Honda transmission with oil will cause the transmission to fail. Always pull the dipstick out, wipe and then insert it into the locked position before pulling it out again for the actual check.
Warning
  • Do not check the transmission fluid while the transmission is cold. Most vehicles require the transmission to be cold when the fluid is checked, but not Honda vehicles. Doing this will give you an incorrect reading. Do not think that the transmission fluid is okay just because it isn't dark-colored. Even light-colored transmission fluid can be burned and have lost all lubricating capabilities.
What years is this applicable for? The 2nd gens all require you to check within 60 seconds of shutting the engine off, NOT with it running.

Also, I've been doing transmission fluid changes for a long time and I've only seen 1 vehicle with cold markings even on the dipstick, the '08 Sonata. Everything else was required to check hot (usually at a very specific temperature) but the procedure changes slightly vehicle to vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
807 Posts
What years is this applicable for? The 2nd gens all require you to check within 60 seconds of shutting the engine off, NOT with it running.

Also, I've been doing transmission fluid changes for a long time and I've only seen 1 vehicle with cold markings even on the dipstick, the '08 Sonata. Everything else was required to check hot (usually at a very specific temperature) but the procedure changes slightly vehicle to vehicle.
One should alway check their owners manual for their exact vehicle. The procedure tells you to stop the engine. Finally for 2nd Gens the procedure tells you
    1. Park on level ground, and start the engine.
    2. Wait until the radiator fan starts and then turn off the engine.
      Perform step 3 after waiting for about 60 seconds (less than 90 seconds).
    3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the transmission and wipe it with a clean cloth.
    4. Insert the dipstick all the way back into the
      transmission securely, as shown in the
      image.
    5. Remove the dipstick and check the fluid
      level.
      u It should be between the upper and
      lower marks in the HOT range.
    6. If the level is below the lower mark, add
      fluid into the dipstick hole to bring it to the level between the upper and lower marks, and have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately.
On my 2020 Pilot it is even easier:
Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary.

Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
One should alway check their owners manual for their exact vehicle. The procedure tells you to stop the engine. Finally for 2nd Gens the procedure tells you
    3. Remove the dipstick (yellow loop) from the transmission and wipe it with a clean cloth.
      image.
      level.
      fluid into the dipstick hole to bring it to the level between the upper and lower marks, and have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately. View attachment 134662

Yup I know what do to for mine (or at least check it before I check the level for each vehicle), I was just wondering what years your post was for so people who look at your post know if it applies to their year.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts

Step 1
Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Tip
Warning
:) Source cited: How to Check Honda Transmission Levels

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
      image.
      level.
      fluid into the dipstick hole to bring it to the level between the upper and lower marks, and have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately. View attachment 134662

Are you a college freshman? :p Cite your copy/paste source: Transmission Fluid :: Maintenance Under the Hood :: Maintenance :: Honda Fit 2007-2020 Owners Manual :: Second generation (2007-2020)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts