Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed the radiator on a junked Pilot I own to see if I could use it on my current one, and the ATF cooling line fittings on the radiator were corroded to shit. So now I'm scared about my current vehicle, as I can't really even get a good view of how bad it may be.

My question is this: can I just bypass the built-in ATF cooler on the radiator? That way I don't have to worry about those fittings failing and ruining my transmission. They may fail and I mix ATF with coolant, but that's better than losing the tranny as well.

The only thing I can think of as to why not to do it, is that there is a sensor in that section that I don't want to bypass. Thoughts?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Attached is a picture of my old versus new radiator. The Denso replacement was approx $100 and is thicker than the OEM. Swapping radiators is not super ez like the old days so I’d prefer to do it once ever 10-15 yrs. If the trans lines are rusty the radiator might not be far behind. One DIY idea is to use a properly secured rubber hose in place of the external metal tube.
In regards to your question and IMO the factory radiator cooler has a role in both cooling and maintaining proper trans operation temps that may be MIA with running just an auxiliary trans cooler. For example in cold climates the trans fluid may not warm up as quickly as the engine warms up or proper cooling may not occur as triggered by various sensors etc

Attachments

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,250 Posts
Looks like I'll be ordering a new radiator. I assume that the DENSO 2213232 from RockAuto is recommended here?

--Chris N.
For a 2003 to 2005, yes, assuming that's what you have by looking at your avatar.

More Information for DENSO 2213232

I changed the upper and lower hoses, as well as the thermostat when I did min last winter.

Don't forget your 5% discount. :)

5% Discount Code: 3AE5CBE8F18A03
Expires: November 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
To answer your original question, you have a nominal atf cooler already in front of the radiator. Passing the atf through the radiator is common practice today.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the comments, everyone. I just received a new Denso radiator and plan on installing it this weekend.

For $120 + elbow grease, it didn't make sense to gamble on my current radiator.

--Chris N.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I just removed the radiator on a junked Pilot I own to see if I could use it on my current one, and the ATF cooling line fittings on the radiator were corroded to shit. So now I'm scared about my current vehicle, as I can't really even get a good view of how bad it may be.

My question is this: can I just bypass the built-in ATF cooler on the radiator? That way I don't have to worry about those fittings failing and ruining my transmission. They may fail and I mix ATF with coolant, but that's better than losing the tranny as well.

The only thing I can think of as to why not to do it, is that there is a sensor in that section that I don't want to bypass. Thoughts?

--Chris N.
The Tru-Cool Max tranny cooler could be a viable option. Seems like late model Pilots and FWD Ridgeline's have no factory tranny cooler at all so adding an oil to air tranny cooler located in front of the a/c condenser would be beneficial. I installed one on our FWD Ridgeline and it dropped TFT 35-40 degrees.:)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Attached is a picture of my old versus new radiator. The Denso replacement was approx $100 and is thicker than the OEM. Swapping radiators is not super ez like the old days so I’d prefer to do it once ever 10-15 yrs. If the trans lines are rusty the radiator might not be far behind. One DIY idea is to use a properly secured rubber hose in place of the external metal tube.
In regards to your question and IMO the factory radiator cooler has a role in both cooling and maintaining proper trans operation temps that may be MIA with running just an auxiliary trans cooler. For example in cold climates the trans fluid may not warm up as quickly as the engine warms up or proper cooling may not occur as triggered by various sensors etc
i think Denzo transmission connections are the same material as the radiator to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion as well?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
i think Denzo transmission connections are the same material as the radiator to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion as well?
One would hope they've learned from the error of their ways.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wonder if Honda told Denso what materials to use?

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Wonder if Honda told Denso what materials to use?
I'm sure an engineering team was summoned to a ごめんなさい session at some point.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 12 of 12 Posts