Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used 2016 Pilot Elite AWD that has a tow package installed and advertised as having a 3.334 axle ratio (I think). I was told it also had the transmission cooling ATF. Is there a way to check or know for sure?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
OEM ATF cooler are usually located in the lower sections in front of the a/c condenser. They should be visible through the lower grill openings.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. When looking through the grill, which side is it usually on and what does it look like? Is the AC condenser a cylinder?

It's a 9 speed transmission, does that imply it does or doesn't have it?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very helpful, thank you. I'll look tomorrow.

BTW, unrelated, the driver's seat feels like there is a hard egg in one side, like a spring or something. Anyone have any comfort issues with the driver's seat?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Can’t help regarding the seat......you might need a flashlight looking for the cooler, it painted black, hard to see.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can’t help regarding the seat......you might need a flashlight looking for the cooler, it painted black, hard to see.
Okay got it.
So some of these had the cooler installed when the car was new? Is it relatively rare to have it?
Also, what is usual rear axle ratio? I'd have thought a larger axle ratio would have implied the cooler....

·
Registered
214 Posts
No final drive difference. The tow package from the dealer includes the hitch, trailer wiring harness, and atf cooler. It does not include a brake controller, but the car is wired for it under the dash.

The tow package is a dealer-installed option. Obviously you can buy the components from Honda and DIY or have it installed later. Some install only atf cooler, or only hitch, so you'll have to check and see if you have all 3. If you have all 3 installed you can safely tow trailers up to 5k lbs, as specified by the owners manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

No final drive difference. The tow package from the dealer includes the hitch, trailer wiring harness, and atf cooler. It does not include a brake controller, but the car is wired for it under the dash.

The tow package is a dealer-installed option. Obviously you can buy the components from Honda and DIY or have it installed later. Some install only atf cooler, or only hitch, so you'll have to check and see if you have all 3. If you have all 3 installed you can safely tow trailers up to 5k lbs, as specified by the owners manual.
Alright, I can see the hitch and wiring harness, I'll check tomorrow for the cooler.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright I'll try it. I'm surprised there would be supports that low in the butt area but we'll see.
Thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
Okay got it.
So some of these had the cooler installed when the car was new? Is it relatively rare to have it?
Also, what is usual rear axle ratio? I'd have thought a larger axle ratio would have implied the cooler....
I'm not positive but I don't think any Pilots have a factory installed oil-to-air tranny cooler......the dealership (or owner) does the install, as viper said.

Reactions: ls973800

·
Registered
2003 accord sport 2017 pilot lx white diamond
9 Posts
That's very helpful, thank you. I'll look tomorrow.

BTW, unrelated, the driver's seat feels like there is a hard egg in one side, like a spring or something. Anyone have any comfort issues with the driver's seat?
mine feels like a spring is going to Shoot you one day , I’m so disappointed in Honda quality, I want to put my old accord seats in it 😂

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not positive but I don't think any Pilots have a factory installed oil-to-air tranny cooler......the dealership (or owner) does the install, as viper said.
Can a dealer look up the VIN to see if it was installed at a previous dealership?

I took a look just now with a flashlight. I didn't see a set of tubes or anything in front of the radiator (big metal fins on each side of the radiator but I assume those are just cooling fins for the radiator). Could it be installed on the other side of the radiator?

Also how worn does the tow hitch get when somebody has been towing a lot? I see some rust and dirt inside the hitch at the bottom, and the towing ball is very rusted on the car side. I'm trying to guess how much towing was done.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I was told my 2012 EX-L 4WD came with a factory installed transmission oil-to-air fluid cooler. It is rated at 5000 pounds towing capacity.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
534 Posts
Can a dealer look up the VIN to see if it was installed at a previous dealership?

I took a look just now with a flashlight. I didn't see a set of tubes or anything in front of the radiator (big metal fins on each side of the radiator but I assume those are just cooling fins for the radiator). Could it be installed on the other side of the radiator?

Also how worn does the tow hitch get when somebody has been towing a lot? I see some rust and dirt inside the hitch at the bottom, and the towing ball is very rusted on the car side. I'm trying to guess how much towing was done.
If you don't see a cooler in front of the rad, you don't have one. I purchased my 16exl used with an OEM hitch installed and there was no cooler. I did install an aftermarket one shortly thereafter. Those hitch receivers do tend to rust quickly whether you use them or not so it is not an indication of the amount of towing. A better indicator would be a check of the condition of the transmission fluid and how the transmission is performing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was told my 2012 EX-L 4WD came with a factory installed transmission oil-to-air fluid cooler. It is rated at 5000 pounds towing capacity.
A 2012 may have......I don't believe the Gen 3 Pilot has a factory installed cooler. Salesmen will tell a prospective buyer just about anything to sell a vehicle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
........I took a look just now with a flashlight. I didn't see a set of tubes or anything in front of the radiator (big metal fins on each side of the radiator but I assume those are just cooling fins for the radiator). Could it be installed on the other side of the radiator?......;
The Honda accessory tranny cooler is mounted behind the lower front grill, ahead of the a/c condenser, It looks like a small black painted radiator. If you don't see it, you don't have it and your Pilot is NOT rated for the max 5K lb towing.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
This is the ATF cooler on a 6-speed.

Reactions: PLT383
1 - 20 of 74 Posts