Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted to install an ATF Cooler Kit (6-Speed AWD - Part # 06255-RLX-306) on a 2020 Pilot EX-L? Just wanting to know the difficulty level involved. I was able to install the trailer hitch and harness on my own and, for the most part, both installations were pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
9,359 Posts
Has anyone attempted to install an ATF Cooler Kit (6-Speed AWD - Part # 06255-RLX-306) on a 2020 Pilot EX-L? Just wanting to know the difficulty level involved. I was able to install the trailer hitch and harness on my own and, for the most part, both installations were pretty straightforward.
Here is a couple of photos when I Installed the OEM cooler during a front end rebuild.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot EX-L AWD
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
840 Posts
Go big or go home......just kidding. Universal aftermarket tranny coolers are available and an alternative to OEM and do a good job as well. The pic is a '17 G2 Ridgeline which is basically the same as a G3 Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
494 Posts
Go big or go home......just kidding. Universal aftermarket tranny coolers are available and an alternative to OEM and do a good job as well. The pic is a '17 G2 Ridgeline which is basically the same as a G3 Pilot.

Link?

My issue is factory version is expensive as .....

·
Registered
840 Posts
College Hills Honda has the OE 6 speed cooler for $144 and the OE 9 speed cooler for $300.

I paid $124 for an aftermarket Tru-Cool #49211 tranny cooler plus, approx. $20 for 90 degree hose barb elbows, fuel injection hose clamps and a quart of DW-1 ATF.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
517 Posts
The factory coolers give you all the metal piping/brackets to get around the radiator supports etc. You could probably order those separate if a concern.

Highspeedbail, from your picture you have a touring or elite with 9 speed which was more involved for install and routing from what I recall on the instructions and what factory lines had to come out and be replaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I just installed that cooler on a 2018 EX, and I am guessing that with the same part #, the install would be similar. I used the advice to remove the battery and move the box out of the way as it gives great access to remove the old hoses from the transmission and install the new ones. I also did not so step 4 (remove lower grill) but Honda sure could make life easier if they made that grill so it just pulled out forward! The hose clamps that came with the kit threw me for a while until I just used a screwdriver to twist the tabs to spring the clamps in place (good to learn new tricks).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just installed that cooler on a 2018 EX, and I am guessing that with the same part #, the install would be similar. I used the advice to remove the battery and move the box out of the way as it gives great access to remove the old hoses from the transmission and install the new ones. I also did not so step 4 (remove lower grill) but Honda sure could make life easier if they made that grill so it just pulled out forward! The hose clamps that came with the kit threw me for a while until I just used a screwdriver to twist the tabs to spring the clamps in place (good to learn new tricks).

View attachment 138829
How much time did you spend on the installation. I was gonna do it, then the hurricane came over and messed things up. Monitoring my ATF temp and debating whether I truly need it since I don't tow but carrying some bicycles on a bike rack.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
If you aren't towing, you really probably don't need it. Use some sort of measurement setup to monitor your ATF temperature in your real world usage and see whether you would benefit.

Installation is mechanically simple but fairly annoying because of the need to remove or push out of the way so many trim bits and access from below. Easier if you have some rhino-ramps.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I’m glad I installed a tranny cooler. Seeing 210F+ (monitoring TFT), farting around town prompted my decision.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you aren't towing, you really probably don't need it. Use some sort of measurement setup to monitor your ATF temperature in your real world usage and see whether you would benefit.

Installation is mechanically simple but fairly annoying because of the need to remove or push out of the way so many trim bits and access from below. Easier if you have some rhino-ramps.

Thanks for your advice! I will keep monitoring ATF temp for now... while holding on to my OEM trans cooler just in case

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
If it were me, I would install it if I had the AWD version - to complete the towing package. Even if you don't want to tow today, it is a relatively low cost to add the capability.

Probably wouldn't really add to resale value or anything, but just having the potential utility may be nice. ¯\(ツ)

·
Registered
840 Posts
..............I would install it if I had the AWD version - to complete the towing package...................
Negative, the Tow Package is not complete until you install the new sticker (included with OE accessory cooler) over the old sticker on the hitch. Then the Tow Package becomes complete. :eek: :giggle::giggle:

Reactions: Grau
1 - 20 of 34 Posts