Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps. Last night I did the oil change on my wife’s 19 EXL. Was thinking on changing the ATF. Other than burning yourself does it really matter hot or cold as far as fluid level? Since hot fluid is coming out and cool fluid going in. The first change I did it cold. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I have always changed fluids after warming up the driveline. The fluid is thinner,drains out faster and more fine particles are removed with the old fluid when things have been warmed up. You should always check fluid levels when warm too and be careful not to overfill as fluids expand when heated.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
There is probably going to be different opinions on this. I don't like getting burned with hot oil or ATF. I do my changes cold when I can. But here in Texas, it's usually warm anyway. And the way I look at it, most of the oil/ATF has run down into the pan. That equals more dirty oil/ATF that will drain out. If you are concerned about damage to anything, I'd recommend pre-filling your oil filter. This gets lubrication up into the engine faster upon start up.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
There is probably going to be different opinions on this. I don't like getting burned with hot oil or ATF. I do my changes cold when I can. But here in Texas, it's usually warm anyway. And the way I look at it, most of the oil/ATF has run down into the pan. That equals more dirty oil/ATF that will drain out. If you are concerned about damage to anything, I'd recommend pre-filling your oil filter. This gets lubrication up into the engine faster upon start up.
Yes, you do have to be careful not to burn yourself on the hot fluid or exhaust pipes so it is best to do the oil changes after the car has cooled a bit after driving it. A good point about priming the oil filter and it is something that I have always done. Hard to do on some vehicles that have horizontally mounted filters though without spilling a bit of oil.

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I've done them hot when practical... sometimes I don't have the time or the burn risk is too high so I don't stress about if I don't. Any fluid change is better than no fluid change IMO.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
I usually drive my car a little bit then let it sit for a few minutes to cool down some. My only concern is burning my hands. I don't particularly care about maximizing the amount of fluid that comes out (although maybe I should?)

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Couple of weeks ago, I dropped the oil pan on a 2012 V6. The vehicle set in place for at least a day before I got to removing the actual pan. After removing it, oil would still occasionally drip. So protecting your eyes became important while cleaning the mating surface. So in my opinion is, to remove more oil, let it set so more oil will make it's way to the pan.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
On my subaru I pre-fill the oil filter but I also know if you choose not to then you can step on the gas pedal all the way down before starting the car for the first time afterwards. The car will not turn over and forces oil into the empty oil filter. Then start normally. I’m thinking the same thing might apply to the Pilot.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
On my subaru I pre-fill the oil filter but I also know if you choose not to then you can step on the gas pedal all the way down before starting the car for the first time afterwards. The car will not turn over and forces oil into the empty oil filter. Then start normally. I’m thinking the same thing might apply to the Pilot.
That's a nice feature. Do we know for sure that it works for a Honda V6?

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I change the oil,I usually do it with the engine warm or hot for all the reasons folks brought up. For ATF, I do it cold because I want to match the amount of new replacement fluid to the same amount of old fluid coming out. I do this by pouring the old fluid into a gallon jug and then match the level in that jug with new fluid in a second jug right next to it. That way I am reasonably certain I'm putting in the same amount back in that came out. Since ATF will expand a bit when warm, I want the old/new temperature to be the same when comparing amounts, as the new fluid will always be "room temperature" sitting in the garage.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Pilots don't have electric oil pumps and the engine must be cranked to get oil pressure. I don't think Subies have them either.
I was wondering just how that would work being that the oil pump sets over the crankshaft.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hot or cold, doesn't matter, I think. There're markings on ATF dipstick. It probably takes 1 quart to go from min mark to max mark. If fluid level is within range, transmission would work just fine. But low or hi within markings could change shifting characteristics before and after. In early days owning cars, I had them service (ATF flush) at dealers. Not single one I felt car running better after. After every 30k service, they shifted same every time like never had it done.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I’ll continue to change both fluids cold.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 20 of 21 Posts