Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

What is the maximum price threshold you'd pay a shop to perform an oil and filter change?

• The oil and filter change could be free and I'll still do it myself.

• $20.01 - $30.00 (conventional)

• $30.01 - $40.00 (conventional)

• $40.01 - $50.00 (conventional)

• $50.01 - $60.00 (conventional)

• $60.01 - $70.00 (conventional)

• > $70 (conventional)

• $40.01 - $50.00 (synthetic / blend)

• $50.01 - $60.00 (synthetic / blend)

• $60.01 - $70.00 (synthetic / blend)

• $70.01 - $80.00 (synthetic / blend)

• $80.01 - $90.00 (synthetic / blend)

• $90.01 - $100.00 (synthetic / blend)

• > $100 (synthetic / blend)

• I'm so loaded it doesn't matter what an oil change costs. I'll pay to have it done.

• I'll pay the going rate. I can't believe you'd expect me to get grease under my nails.

• DIY is not an option for me, so I pay the going rate.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some years ago I determined that performing a DIY oil change wasn't worth my time and effort. At that time, the dealer routinely had coupons for less than $40 for a conventional oil and filter change. Fast forward to today, and the best dealership deal in my local area (15 mile radius) is $60 for conventional. 5 quarts of conventional oil costs $17 (STP brand) and a filter and crush washer run another $5 so $22 parts/materials cost. I finally hit the price point where I wasn't willing to pay someone else to change my vehicle's oil. Had the dealer's price been $50, I think I still would have paid them to do it.

What is your price threshold for what you're willing to pay someone to change your vehicle's oil and filter? Please note if you use conventional or synthetic oil.

Reactions: Tourist2012

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Local Honda dealer has coupon specials for a $20 oil change with synthetic-blend oil.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Local Honda dealer has coupon specials for a $20 oil change with synthetic-blend oil.
Do they change the filter for that price?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I imagine most people change their own oil and filter because they can and for piece of mind that it is done properly, rather than for cost. Others may not have any skills, grease under the nails or not, so they pay what it costs regardless...which should be another one of your choices.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I made the same determination when I bought my 2012 Pilot. That was the first vehicle I ever owned that I never crawled under to change the oil.

When we bought the 2019, they offered a big discount on prepaid maintenace, so I went for it. So, I don't have to really worry about anything for 75K.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
No vote casting for Full Synthetic?

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
572 Posts
For me, it's more data and time than the cost.

Taking it somewhere and waiting is dead time. Doing it myself is an opportunity to do my own free 31-point safety check.

Small plug: I use a MityVac, it's a much faster, easier job that way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have done one oil change just so I am familiar with the process, but I have one of those rare birds known as a decent dealership with a good service department. Most prices are reasonable such as a full synthetic oil change for $50. I retired from a semi truck factory where I was a test mechanic. I spent a lot of time underneath trucks and for $50 I am not laying under the Pilot. Oil, filter, disposal, maybe a busted knuckle, none for me thanks.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No vote casting for Full Synthetic?
I combined synthetic and blend into the same category. Otherwise there would have been 30 choices for the poll.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
580 Posts
I have done one oil change just so I am familiar with the process, but I have one of those rare birds known as a decent dealership with a good service department. Most prices are reasonable such as a full synthetic oil change for $50. I retired from a semi truck factory where I was a test mechanic. I spent a lot of time underneath trucks and for $50 I am not laying under the Pilot. Oil, filter, disposal, maybe a busted knuckle, none for me thanks.
Same here.
My dealer charges $50 and I regularly get 10% off coupons via email.

Oil at wally world $25-30 plus $5 filter plus crush washer plus time spent.

Ehhhh at least this way, there won't be any issue if I have to use the extended warranty.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,236 Posts
I'm voting for several options, as I change my MO according to weather, mood and especially if there is something else bigger that needs to be done at the same time, like an LCAs, A/C service, completely new tires and brakes+rotors, etc., and then bundle them all together in one visit to a trusted mechanic, almost always having bought my own fluids (don't trust their house oil that comes out of a hose in the ceiling :(), filters and parts beforehand, so I'm just paying for labor. If it's just already-mounted tires and/or oil, and the weather's OK, and I'm in the mood and/or I want to teach my daughter, I'll DIY.

EDIT: Forgot to say: Yay, a poll!

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I reuse crush washers whenever possible but some shops just push the limits of the design. I’ve seen these crush washers on family member or coworker vehicles 🚗 that come by for some diy work. The oil jocks just tighten the drain plug until it stops leaking and some use some putty. No thanks as long as I can crawl under safely I do my own oil changes.
Text Font Grey Circle Metal

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I was going broke getting 9 vehicles oil changes done at the quick lube. Not only that, paying sometimes 4 times the amount of money for synthetic blend and a cheap, generic no name oil filter. Ask for 0w20? Ya right, they'd grab one of 2 hoses from the rack and pump in whatever was in the bulk tank.
Now, doing my own changes with a top quality Full Synthetic oil and filter for under $30.
Full synthetic oil = less repair bills later.

Reactions: hamhead and aggrex

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,575 Posts
It really depends. I don't mind paying my mechanic $50 for an oil and filter change because it means someone other than me is topping off fluids and checking if anything else is wrong.

Our 2006 Odyssey never saw a drop of synthetic oil and never had a single engine related problem. Made it to 230k miles before getting totaled. I know we could debate synthetic vs. conventional all day but my understanding is that oil is oil. As long as you keep it full and clean it doesn't really matter. I could be wrong but that's what I'm choosing to believe.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I imagine most people change their own oil and filter because they can and for piece of mind that it is done properly, rather than for cost. Others may not have any skills, grease under the nails or not, so they pay what it costs regardless...which should be another one of your choices.
That option has been added to the poll.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me, it's more data and time than the cost.

Taking it somewhere and waiting is dead time. Doing it myself is an opportunity to do my own free 31-point safety check.

Small plug: I use a MityVac, it's a much faster, easier job that way.
The one thing I worry about by DIY my own oil change is that I don’t get a trained eye looking for issues on the bottom side of the vehicle. I can probably spot the obvious stuff, but there will likely be other things I’ll miss. And since the Pilot and Tacoma are tall enough to easily get to the drain plug and filter, they don’t get lifted onto jack stands so the suspension won’t get fully inspected.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Some years ago I determined that performing a DIY oil change wasn't worth my time and effort. At that time, the dealer routinely had coupons for less than $40 for a conventional oil and filter change. Fast forward to today, and the best dealership deal in my local area (15 mile radius) is $60 for conventional. 5 quarts of conventional oil costs $17 (STP brand) and a filter and crush washer run another $5 so $22 parts/materials cost. I finally hit the price point where I wasn't willing to pay someone else to change my vehicle's oil. Had the dealer's price been $50, I think I still would have paid them to do it.

What is your price threshold for what you're willing to pay someone to change your vehicle's oil and filter? Please note if you use conventional or synthetic oil.
Even if the dealer only charged me what I pay for the oil, filter and misc supplies, I would still do it myself since it is an easy job and I can do it in less time than it takes to drive to the dealership, wait for them to do it, and get back home. It would take an hour or more depending on how busy they are vs about 15 minutes doing it myself. I plan it out so I do it shortly after it's been driven so I don't waste time waiting for it to get hot from a cold start and then cool down enough to work on. I use Amsoil 0W20 Signature full synthetic. Little tricks learned like removing the drain plug with the socket on an extension keeps the oil off of me and using a zip lock bag around the filter to keep the oil off me and the subframe.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts