Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What AT tires have people put on their 3rd gens??
And what offset rims have been used on 3rd gens?
Any comments, good or negative?
TIA.

atm (1/6/20) :
Tires: Nokian Haakapallita R3Suv, 265/60r/18.
Rims: Helo 894, 18x8, 5x120, +38 offset, hub-centric rings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
KMC Bully 17x8 38 mm offset with Blizzaks 245/70R17 (Winter tire). So far so good. No rub that I noticed even though it is 30.6 inch tires vs 29.5 stock. Much more softer ride vs stock 20s. I prefer 33-34 psi pressure. I have yet top try this in the snow but it seems that an opportunity will present itself next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KMC Bully 17x8 38 mm offset with Blizzaks 245/70R17 (Winter tire). So far so good. No rub that I noticed even though it is 30.6 inch tires vs 29.5 stock. Much more softer ride vs stock 20s. I prefer 33-34 psi pressure. I have yet top try this in the snow but it seems that an opportunity will present itself next week.
Looks good, I like the +38 offset (have it on mine, too), makes a nice stance. Your tires aren't quite as knobby, probably helps them not rub - mine rub slightly at full lock both ways. That's a good cold-pressure, where I usually keep mine, too.

Have fun in the snow! I played a bit at the snow park couple weeks ago, they handle it well. ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Though I do not have a Gen 3 Pilot, I can offer some advice.
The tire options are 245/60-R18 and with both bolted to a +55mm wheel. No matter where you are headed into, anything up to a diameter up of 30.7" can clear a stock suspension setup and stock wheel well. Mind you, this is based on the stock wheel offset.

Typically, under stock suspension setup, it is advised that you should not vary too much off the OEM scrub radius; +/-5mm scrub. This is NOT the wheel offset and typically the tire size dictates the scrub, more than the wheel. However, the wheel specs dictate clearance of suspension components. When you vary too much on the scrub, your handling will take a dive for a worse. Though negative scrub is desired for on road compliance and safety, positive scrub is not good and you never want to be on a Zero Scrub. You can search what 'scrub radius' is and learn it.

My advise, do not vary too much from the OEM. If you can get your hands on a wheel that is between +45mm and +55mm with no more than 8.5" wide (for the +45mm) mated to a 265/60-R18 through 265/50-R20 tire size to clear your wheel well. Speak with someone like TireRack or Discount Tire Direct so you could get the best and safe recommendation. Also keep in mind that when you go bigger tires, your spare will become useless.

Lastly, keep in mind about the unsprung weight. If your tire+wheel package is going to be more heavy than OEM, then you are not making the right decision on your purchase. Make the wise decision as these are the ones that keep you connected to the road and keep you upright; cutting corners and taking uneducated risks puts everyone including you and your family at risk.

Tires: I have had experience with Nitto Terra Grappler, & General Grabber AT2. The latter is a snowflake rated tire and Like it very much. I had the Hankook Dynapro ATM and hated that.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Make the wise decision as these are the ones that keep you connected to the road and keep you upright; cutting corners and taking uneducated risks puts everyone including you and your family at risk.
So true.
Thanks for the thorough explanations. I have been researching for awhile. Figured out a nice setup (pic in my avatar), pretty moderate compared to many, but has odd balance issues. Hadn't heard of scrub radius, the actual numbers not something easily found either.

In my avatar, 18x8 rims, +38 offset, 5x120 bolt pattern w/hub centric rings, load rating 1900#. Tires are 265/60R18 falken wildpeaks at3w. Wheel/tire each weigh about 4# less than the oem 20s did. Diameter is 30.6" iirc, speedometer seems to run +1mph vs oem 20s (29.5"). There is a slight rub at full lock both ways - we figured b/c of the thicker AT tread.

Love the set-up. But tires won't balance - tire shop guy tells me he doesn't think the pilot can have AT/more aggressive tires. wuuut?? So I'm trying to learn what has worked for others.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The recommended wheel offset is supposed to be between 35 and 45 for the 3 generation Pilot... whether it's 17, 18 or 20 inch wheels. If your offset is outside these numbers , you risk the wheels hitting the calipers/frame/ or body. Hadn't heard of the scrub radius but isn't that determined by the wheel offset? Go to any online tire shop and enter your vehicle data and it'll show you the correct wheel offset for your vehicle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The recommended wheel offset is supposed to be between 35 and 45 for the 3 generation Pilot...
The standard OEM 3rd gen wheel has +55 offset. Where do I find the recommendation showing 35-45mm (so I can show the dealer when they bitch at me).

From researching about scrub radius, from smufguy's comment above - it's a line between the tire center and the line through the steering axis, where they meet at the ground.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't see anything from Honda about offset anywhere.. but I've been to many online tire and wheel sites and they all claim the 3rd generation pilot offset is 35-45 regardless of wheel size. So not sure what to say. But honda did quote me some aftermarket winter mags for a 2019 touring and they were 17" with a 40mm offset.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't see anything from Honda about offset anywhere.. but I've been to many online tire and wheel sites and they all claim the 3rd generation pilot offset is 35-45 regardless of wheel size. So not sure what to say. But honda did quote me some aftermarket winter mags for a 2019 touring and they were 17" with a 40mm offset.
Wow. I couldn't find any Honda wheels w/other than +55 offset, except a gen2 pilot rim & I think the other was from a ridgeline. We can find all kinds of other brands in any offset we want, tho. And everywhere I looked when researching, they considered the gen3 +55. Wild.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Remove your factory wheels and look on the inside of the wheel spokes. You will see the wheel specs including the offset. Your dealership's 'recommendation' is not Honda's approved wheels and same applies to the online retailers; their available selection of what could bolt up to the Pilot does not constitute 'recommend' options. It is more suggested, than anything else.
All Honda approved wheel options are in the Accessory catalog. Here is the press release for the current generation, though it is about 5 years old now >> 2016 Honda Pilot Press Kit

@Silverwolfe you can show the tire shop guy this article >> Honda to Debut Rugged Open Air Vehicle Concept at 2018 SEMA Show, Showcase Civic Type R TCR, Rebelle Rally Pilot, Ridgeline Adventure Lifestyle Project, Powersports Products and More . He may need to scroll down a third of the way.
You can also educate him about JSport (Pilot Archives | Jsport USA) an aftermarket company that many Honda dealerships are offering as a 'dealer installed package'. However, this is NOT Honda approved application; just because dealers chose to do it, does not mean that they are approved by American Honda Co for on-road use. ((Ironically, HPD, Honda's performance division, uses JSport equipment, on many of their performance vehicles)).

My recommendation, here and elsewhere, is the same; going with wheels that have much lower offset and deviating more than at least +/-5mm scrub radius may result in handling characteristics that were not anticipated. This is my suggestion and would hate for someone to have a misfortune that they brought upon themselves as it looked 'cool'.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Love the set-up. But tires won't balance - tire shop guy tells me he doesn't think the pilot can have AT/more aggressive tires. wuuut?? So I'm trying to learn what has worked for others.
I can put AT tires on my Sonata if I can get the right size, I'm not sure what he is basing his information on. If your previous wheels and tires had no vibrations there are 3 things that I see as the culprit:

1. The mating surface between the hub and the wheel has some sort of irregularity not allowing the wheels to sit perfectly flush against the hub. Are your wheels hub centric and the proper size? You may need hub adapter rings to adapt the bore of the wheel to the bore of the hub.

2. The wheel itself is deformed in some way, causing vibrations. Are your vibrations through the seat or the steering wheel or both?

3. The tires could be out of balance bad enough that getting them to balance is very difficult. Some AT tires are known to have this type of issue.

My recommendations: Figure out if you need hub adapters and get the wheels and tires road-force balanced. Find a shop in your area that has a road-force machine and take it there. OR if you bought the wheels and tires from the same shop and they did all of the work tell them they need to fix it and take it up the chain with management.

The blanket statements of "Pilots can't have more aggressive tires" is just a lie to try and get them out of fixing their issue or helping you properly diagnose your issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
At one time I had Toyo A/T tires on my Pilot. While they were somewhat noisier than on-road type tires, there were never any balance issues. That was with tires in the original size and using the original (hub-centric) Honda wheels.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just because dealers chose to do it, does not mean that they are approved by American Honda Co for on-road use. ((Ironically, HPD, Honda's performance division, uses JSport equipment, on many of their performance vehicles
Yes, I've been following JSport for a couple of years. They had an interesting rear bumper mount for the spare, gas can, etc, on a Passport. But they haven't gotten it to production to purchase yet. And I've kept an eye on the Rebelle Rally 2 yrs - this last year they took a Passport & RL. RL didn't finish for some reason, the PP did well. So of course we can use more aggressive tires on the Pilot! At my dealer, they have a CRV set up by JSport, looks pretty good, like a mini-Passport. It had Falken Wildpeak ATtrail tires. I forget the rims, might've been JSport's.

I think I've been pretty careful choosing rim, offset, tires, so that they are within safety and handling standards. And handles beautifully except w/in the vibration range (mid-60s to 73).

Putting Haakapallita R3Suv on this week, will see how that goes. If not fine, then time for new rims. If fine, then in spring I'm going to a different tire shop for my summer tires.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At one time I had Toyo A/T tires on my Pilot. While they were somewhat noisier than on-road type tires, there were never any balance issues. That was with tires in the original size and using the original (hub-centric) Honda wheels.
Thanks. I ran Toyos on my v6 Accord for many years, generally did really well.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
take it up the chain with management.
Thanks. We've done "all the above" - hub-centric rings, replaced the rims (much better, must've been a bent or out-of-round one), done all the fancy balancing methods there are. Then management got involved & screwed it all up!! lol. We had isolated the trouble to the front 2 tires - but he redid & moved them around, it was sooo much worse, so he decided maybe they don't work on the Pilot. Example why you shouldn't jump into something w/o asking what has already been done. I had another shop try rebalancing them, they said 2 of the tires were out-of-round!! Everyone (3 shops) says the rims are good.

But the orig shop has been really good about trying everything. The guys are tired of it, as am I. We're putting on some Haakapallita R3Suv tires this week. I'm assuming they'll be perfect, then in spring find another shop to help figure out the summer tires.... (this is a shop I've gone to for 29 yrs, this is my 3rd rig w/them. They know I take care of my rigs)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Thanks. We've done "all the above" - hub-centric rings, replaced the rims (much better, must've been a bent or out-of-round one), done all the fancy balancing methods there are. Then management got involved & screwed it all up!! lol. We had isolated the trouble to the front 2 tires - but he redid & moved them around, it was sooo much worse, so he decided maybe they don't work on the Pilot. Example why you shouldn't jump into something w/o asking what has already been done. I had another shop try rebalancing them, they said 2 of the tires were out-of-round!! Everyone (3 shops) says the rims are good.

But the orig shop has been really good about trying everything. The guys are tired of it, as am I. We're putting on some Haakapallita R3Suv tires this week. I'm assuming they'll be perfect, then in spring find another shop to help figure out the summer tires.... (this is a shop I've gone to for 29 yrs, this is my 3rd rig w/them. They know I take care of my rigs)
If the tires are out of round and you bought them at that shop, time for them to contact Falken and get you some that aren't out of round. This seems more common in more aggressive tires but I wouldn't let the issue go until spring as you lose leverage that you have right now. Just my opinion.

Reactions: Silverwolfe

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This seems more common in more aggressive tires
I wondered about that.....

I'll trade out these tires for the nokian R3Suvs, which are considered a 'performance winter tire', so I won't lose leverage. This tire shop knows they're about to lose a very loyal customer who regularly brings their cars in for maint/repairs. (The dealer had aligned the front end after much arguing over an issue at purchase. When I bought the new rims/tires, I had the tire shop align it, just to make sure everything was all sparkly new & good to go. Omg, the dealer's alignment was sooo out!)

But come spring/summer - I want my wildpeaks back, or another appropriate tire!!
So I'd love to keep finding out what ATs people use & like!

(This winter I'll be doing some road trips so the R3Suvs should be fine. A Subaru friend who has used them told me the they are pretty good for winter off-roading, too - so when I get to my destination and want to check out the photo-ops at some lake, I should be ok. That should do me well till spring/summer when it gets too hot for them.)

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I wondered about that.....

I'll trade out these tires for the nokian R3Suvs, which are considered a 'performance winter tire', so I won't lose leverage. This tire shop knows they're about to lose a very loyal customer who regularly brings their cars in for maint/repairs. (The dealer had aligned the front end after much arguing over an issue at purchase. When I bought the new rims/tires, I had the tire shop align it, just to make sure everything was all sparkly new & good to go. Omg, the dealer's alignment was sooo out!)

But come spring/summer - I want my wildpeaks back, or another appropriate tire!!
So I'd love to keep finding out what ATs people use & like!

(This winter I'll be doing some road trips so the R3Suvs should be fine. A Subaru friend who has used them told me the they are pretty good for winter off-roading, too - so when I get to my destination and want to check out the photo-ops at some lake, I should be ok. That should do me well till spring/summer when it gets too hot for them.)
My favorite A/T tires, all of which I've had experience with, are the BFG KO2s, Michelin LTX AT2s (I think these may be discontinued but they were excellent with a more street bias) and Bridgestone Dueler Revos (they are on the Revo 3 now, I had the Revo and Revo 2 and loved both).

As I mentioned before, utilize the Tierack and Discount Tire ratings, look for the tires with the most miles reported and the highest number of reviews.

Reactions: Silverwolfe

·
Registered
78 Posts
OK, so the snow storm came and I had a chance to try Blizzaks and my Pilot in the snow. Traction is ample in 4 inches of snow and on ice. Both Normal and Snow mode worked well, not sure yet why I need Snow mode, it handled 4 inches and hard packed ice in Normal mode just fine. I am very happy with the result. The car feels solid I can confidently say my Pilot did better in the snow than my 2013 Subaru Outback with Blizzaks. I am very happy with my choice!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The car feels solid I can confidently say my Pilot did better in the snow than my 2013 Subaru Outback with Blizzaks. I am very happy with my choice!
Yay, isn't that a great feeling! And your same brand tire, so much better w/the Pilot!

Coming back from NW Mt late Sept, that big wintery storm they suddenly had blew me on my way. By Sandpoint, in addition to the wild gusty winds it was snowing hard, thru Spokane was a snowy/slushy/rainy messy mix. After coming up out of Spokane, now dark, on the flats there - omg, suddenly 2" of slush on the road w/the snow/slush/rain/wind still going on.... cars around me all swishing around, I put Stevie (my pilot) in 'snow' mode - perfect, drove right thru it like it wasn't there (stock tires). I was quite impressed, too!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts