Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Thats what I was thinking. Still trying to understand how the vibration is now worse. All I can guess is the new CV axles are bad...
OEM axles, or not?

Favor the former. (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yep they are aftermarket. Same shop installed aftermarket almost 2 years ago. I remember detecting a minor vibration right after that initial install, but it was very minor. Back then I figured that is to be expected with aftermarket. It was never bad until after I replaced the front struts and rear shocks. If it is the axles, something must have gotten out of whack when that boot was stretched. I'll be contacting the shop to see about OEM axles. Best price I have found online is around $450 shipped for both axles. I would think they can get them at that price or cheaper.

·
Super Moderator
4,626 Posts
I swapped in a Napa passenger side CV axle. I decided to do this since I had been hearing creaking noise since before the strut install and wondered if it might be coming from the wobbly fitting CV axle as shown above. Was fairly easy to do and I needed to be done since my work week was starting
Install the OEM axles yourself, save on labor expenses and get an alignment

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Install the OEM axles yourself, save on labor expenses and get an alignment
I was actually going to do the drivers side as well. Unfortunately, I could not get a puller tool to fit on that side and I could not budge it any other way. I was out of time as well. I was also trying to diagnose a front end noise I have been chasing so I thought they could help with that too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The driver side will usually pop out with a pry bar or large flat head screwdriver if pulling it straight out doesn’t work. You shouldn’t need a slide hammer/puller for the drivers side.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
The driver side will usually pop out with a pry bar or large flat head screwdriver if pulling it straight out doesn’t work. You shouldn’t need a slide hammer/puller for the drivers side.
I tried both of those methods. I'm not one to give up easily, but didn't want to break anything and ran out of time. I'll be talking to the shop about swapping the aftermarket axles for OEM today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Update.

I dropped the Pilot off and told them it seems worse. They say they haven't had problems with the aftermarkets they use which I was told are GSP brand. I said I was considering swapping in OEM axles. They called today and said one of the axles they replaced had a wobble on the inside joint and replaced it again and it seems better now. I just test drove it a little and could still feel a vibration but couldn't get a real feel for it with all the traffic. They said to take it overnight and we will go from there. They said they would hate for me to spend money on OEM and it not fix the problem and eluded to it being from something else like the transmission.

I will drive it later tonight when there is less traffic. On my short test drive, I still noticed a rotational vibration that I feel more through the seat than steering wheel. Seems more wobbly at lower rpms then faster/tighter vibration at higher speeds and only happens when accelerating. It occurred right after front strut replacement when the axles were moved around/displaced. Seems like it has to be the axles. Before I bite the bullet and buy OEM, is there anything else it could be that would cause this type of vibration?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I started thinking about the type of vibration and came across some other threads that mentioned the driveshaft or propeller shaft being a possibility. So I made a video to hopefully get some feedback as to whether this movement is normal of not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
So I decided to go ahead and buy OEM axles. Unfortunately it seems that no one has them and they are on nationwide backorder. Does anyone know where I can get some?
The part numbers are:
44305-S9V-A51
44306-S9V-A51

Otherwise, I don't know which aftermarket would be better to go with. I read somewhere that Cardone are good but it seems there isn't much info about good quality aftermarket axles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
So I decided to go ahead and buy OEM axles.
Good for you Jack !

Unfortunately it seems that no one has them and they are on nationwide backorder.
How do you know this ? Because that's what the Honda .com parts outlets are saying ? Any dealership can do a nationwide search for you.

Otherwise, I don't know which aftermarket would be better to go with. I read somewhere that Cardone are good but it seems there isn't much info about good quality aftermarket axles.
That's because there is none - they all SUCK !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
The shop I use called the dealer nearby. I called 2 different online OEM parts sources that seem to actually be Honda dealers. Both said they did not have in stock and also confirmed the nationwide backorder.

If anyone know where I can get them please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Eh I don't think so. Many years ago I worked in an Acura parts dept. I don't ever remember turning down a sale to save parts for the dealership. Especially for a vehicle this old.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 236k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 151k
182 Posts
You could try a junkyard for axles off a totaled pilot. I found mind for 40 bucks off a rear end collision model with 110k miles. 🤷‍♂️

41 - 60 of 61 Posts